LegacyGT.com

The "My Legacy is Falling Apart Thread"

SLegacy99

Oy! So my roadtrip in August left me stranded. A bolt snapped and the coil pack hung only by the belts attached to it, leaving me with some horrible noises and no power steering. I fixed the broken bolt and the car was fine. I drive it 5 days out of the week.

Driving home on Friday was my first major road trip since the one in August. Sure enough, I was nearing my exit on the PA turnpike when the noises began again. I managed to make it home in time for the bolt to again snap. In replacing that bolt, the other bolt holding the coil pack and belts in place also broke. Note that I never had this problem until I got my new timing belt.

So I'm wondering has anyone else had the problem of these bolts, or any bolts for that matter breaking? And is there some kind of rememdy for this. At 104k miles I think I have a long way to go in this car.

Also:

My relatively new fly wheel is making horrible rasping noises, undoubedtly due to the starter over cranking, which I replaced a while back. It seems as if the damage was already done.

My tachometer reads, but when it drops it goes down only to 2800 RPM.

My temperature guage only reads two clicks more often than not, when it should be about half.

I think my car is starting to act its age, which is ashame because it was always so reliable.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Power steering makes horrible noise after car has been running for a while.

- Power steering leaking onto belts, causing horrible squealing in humid weather.

- Strange grinding noise when car leans left/right in turns.

- Rear bushings completely gone.

- Leaks oil from quite a few seals, so smoke comes out of hood.

- HORRIBLE stuttering problem when warmed up - engine will almost stall and then pick up again.

- Recently, a small whistle has developed - I'm thinking hole in exhaust somewhere.

- 1-2 gear shifts are sometimes quite violent... synchros gone bad?

- Coasting downhill, tranny makes WEIRD shifts which cause the car to slow down significantly when it changes gear (feel's like it's downshifting instead of upshifting - though it does actually upshift.)

- Strange rattling noise on acceleration (doesn't sound quite like a heat shield, but who knows...)

- Fairly loud piston slap for few minutes until engine warms up.

BUT HEY! Every two or three weeks it makes the 8-hour-straight 450-mile drive up to NJ, and then back again at 70 mph getting 30 mpg so I can't really complain!

- Power steering leaking onto belts, causing horrible squealing in humid weather.

- HORRIBLE stuttering problem when warmed up - engine will almost stall and then pick up again.

- Recently, a small whistle has developed - I'm thinking hole in exhaust somewhere.

- Coasting downhill, tranny makes WEIRD shifts which cause the car to slow down significantly when it changes gear (feel's like it's downshifting instead of upshifting - though it does actually upshift.)

- Strange rattling noise on acceleration (doesn't sound quite like a heat shield, but who knows...)

BUT HEY! Every two or three weeks it makes the 8-hour-straight 450-mile drive up to NJ, and then back again at 70 mph getting 30 mpg so I can't really complain!

+1 for what makes a subaru a subaru. May sound like $^@$^ but it keeps on runnin. :lol:

Anyone else read or heard anything about 'the unknown whistle' being a plugged tranny filter? Just curious.

With Penn State having the possibility of being in the Rose Bowl I'm a bit concerned. I don't know if my Legacy will make it 3,000 miles there and 3,000 miles back. And none of my friends have a vehicle that is as fuel thrifty or as large. Perhaps we should rent an RV.

Whistle sound could be a hole in a vacuum line. I replaced one of those last week

Other things:

water pump went and broke timing belt (DIDN'T KILL MY ENGINE!!)

Fuel filler neck rusted out causing gas to leak.

other than that, my car has been fine. I only have 92000 miles though.

• 1 month later...

Anybody have problems with guages? My speedo went bad a while back which is common on the 99s. However, now my temp guage doesnt read properly and my tachometer doesnt read lower than 2600 RPMs when I drive the car for more than half an hour. Odd.

Anybody know what the 10 year SRS airbag inspection entails?

With Penn State having the possibility of being in the Rose Bowl I'm a bit concerned. I don't know if my Legacy will make it 3,000 miles there and 3,000 miles back. And none of my friends have a vehicle that is as fuel thrifty or as large. Perhaps we should rent an RV.

Come on no sense of adventure ? Sure this trip in your Subaru may result in disaster , but think of the stories you can tell your grandkids someday.:lol:

Come on no sense of adventure ? Sure this trip in your Subaru may result in disaster , but think of the stories you can tell your grandkids someday.:lol:

WOuld be nice, but I decided not to go as tickets, hotel, etc. are way out of my budget. I think my sister and bro in law are paying about $3000 for their trip.

It is always fun when you car dies on a road trip... I fortunately only made it 2 and a half hours from home when my water pump died....

I have an updated list of my car's falling apart:

fuel filler neck

water pump/timing belt (what stopped me on above road trip)

Front springs (one of them was rusted about to break. they are a subaru recall item, and often die, so I had both done.)

currently my drivers side valve cover gasket leaks a tiny bit (a few drops a day maybe...)

Transmission leaks about the same rate as engine. (I just make sure I check it every couple of weeks.)

An RV would be larger but its not exactly fuel thifty. :lol:

I used to have a '92 Legacy without any big issues, but there was a bit of rust on it. I sold it for about $500 to the guy who inspected it little over a year ago. It had only been driven for about 75k.

And my parents have two 1800:s, both have been driven for about 170-180k miles (The blue and brown ones in pic) and they are still working fine!

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Gotland2008/four_subarus.jpg

So they are holding together. But no car is immune to abuse.

453747.png

And the drama continues. To fix my stuttering engine at low fuel I put in some injector cleaner and then filled the tank. I got two hours away from home yesterday and then I had a cylinder misfire and now a CEL. Great.

And since thats not enough, someone hit my new bumper and scraped the paint off of it. Come on. Seriously? Then my dad snapped my antenna in half loading his car. I inquired at Pep Boys about getting a new and they told me that my car was too new. Too new. Meanwhile the guy next to me is getting parts for his Studebaker. Really?

I'm at 168k and have only had my legacy gt for a week and the list seems to be getting bigger and bigger. When I bought the car I knew it had some slight problems. A missing interior switch here and there, bumper covers in need of replacement, new tail light, new tires, brakes, etc. No CEL's though. The rear diff or something of the like needs replacement. Whenever driven, it makes a very loud humming noise. And now it hasn't been starting.

I really like this car but apparently it doesn't like me. I vacuumed the interior and bought it some new wipers and this is what I get?:lol: And I was going to wash and wax it but you kinda need a running car to get it to a heated garage.

Great thread! I just picked up a 98 LGT wagon for my son with 141,000 miles, and reading this thread has really started me worrying. It has some leaks. The throw out bearing whines. The clutch makes a burning smell, especially when putting the car into reverse. The lights in the climate controls don't work. The steering wheel isn't quite straight when going straight. The thing seems to run like a top though. I have no service history, so I don't know if the head gaskets and timing belt have been replaced. I just wish there was a way I could tell that. Timing belts, oil seals, head gaskets, and clutches seem to be the most common problems. Everything else seems pretty cheap.

Driveshaft boots (especially the one over the cat) and wheel bearings are the other items that you shall watch out for, but neither are really a big issue to fix.

Just check that the steering components are in order. The alignment may just be that the wheel has been off once and needs to be re-positioned, but if not you may have something there that needs a look.

Personally I like to use magnetic oil plug on my cars - it may give you an early warning if you do the changes yourself. Since you don't have any service history you may want to do a compression test on the engine. But a good indicator can be to check the brake fluid since any well-maintained car will have had the brake fluid replaced while cars with a bad record most likely won't.

453747.png

Archived