LegacyGT.com

The "My Legacy is Falling Apart Thread"

SLegacy99

that 2.2 is indestructible from what I hear...

mine's a 2.5i. are these known for longevity also?

anyone had the mysterious window clicking noise from the driver's side window. i replaced the whole darn window switch panel at a cost of $118 when i had nothing to do with the panel/switches. Damn $$ down the tubes.

turns out, when i use the auto switch down, the window switch somehow keeps clicking, like it wants to move the window up. it just keeps clicking and clicking until i, after several up/down flips of the window switch because it won't work, move the window up a notch. strangest thing this little gremlin. as long as i don't let the window go max. down, it's fine

also, mine's starting to drink about a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so. seems excessive. the plugs were fine, not fouled. no blue smoke. just sucking oil up.

anyone with excessive oil consumption also?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mine's a 2.5i. are these known for longevity also?

anyone had the mysterious window clicking noise from the driver's side window. i replaced the whole darn window switch panel at a cost of $118 when i had nothing to do with the panel/switches. Damn $$ down the tubes.

turns out, when i use the auto switch down, the window switch somehow keeps clicking, like it wants to move the window up. it just keeps clicking and clicking until i, after several up/down flips of the window switch because it won't work, move the window up a notch. strangest thing this little gremlin. as long as i don't let the window go max. down, it's fine

also, mine's starting to drink about a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so. seems excessive. the plugs were fine, not fouled. no blue smoke. just sucking oil up.

anyone with excessive oil consumption also?

a quart every 2500 really isn't that bad. A lot of subarus are worse.

My 2.2 doesn't burn any though :)

And I have the same window issue. I just leave it a tiny bit up, and it isn't an issue.

Head gasket replaced on my 1997 Legacy GT (& all seals, water pump, all hoses, all belts, radiator while engine open) @ 125,000 miles.

Need to repair clearcoat on one side, have headlight assemblies polished (favorite bulbs?)

favorite bulbs?

PIAA's, of course! Although, they are rather expensive. But, they do last for quite a while and you can find them at reasonable prices all over the place online.

On the other hand, I've had pretty good luck with Nokya bulbs myself and they're not too pricey.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

a quart every 2500 really isn't that bad. A lot of subarus are worse.

My 2.2 doesn't burn any though :)

And I have the same window issue. I just leave it a tiny bit up, and it isn't an issue.

A qt./2500miles isn't bad? wow, okay guess im used to toyotas which are tightly sealed.

interesting you have that same window issue. after wasting $$ on a new switch i figured out about not putting the window all the way down...dah on me.:rolleyes:

Head gasket replaced on my 1997 Legacy GT (& all seals, water pump, all hoses, all belts, radiator while engine open) @ 125,000 miles.

Need to repair clearcoat on one side, have headlight assemblies polished (favorite bulbs?)

what did that headgasket replacement (with all those bells/whistles) cost you? $1000? i wonder if it'd be worth it on my car since by that time, the car's value will prolly only be worth about $4k.

if everything else on your car is in decent shape. Tranny holding up, no rust, etc, $1000 for a headgasket is worth it. For $1000 you couldn't get another car that was better.

if everything else on your car is in decent shape. Tranny holding up, no rust, etc, $1000 for a headgasket is worth it. For $1000 you couldn't get another car that was better.

I guess it's all subjective on what's worth it. To me, putting in 25% of a car's total value and factoring in that the car will likely need more repairs in it's older age, it's time to sell it and put that many into another new/used car.

That's just me though. I'd prefer to cut my losses early and go with something a little newer with less mileage.

• 4 weeks later...

So far this year I've replaced the seatbelt which included dealing with the airbag monitor in the seatbelt mechanism, a rusty gas tank, an even rustier filler neck, and new tires.

I'm not dealing with the body issues (chipped paint, dings here and there and several interesting bent panel issues). I'm also avoiding the lock/alarm system that goes off when anyone tries to use their electronic opening systems within 50 feet of the sube.

Is it time to replace (less than 110 k on the car and a new engine inatalled 30K ago when the previous engine blew itself up....)

:spin:

Wow - my dealer said the belt wasn't covered under a "lifetime" warranty.

The problem - the belt disintegrated under everyday use and began to bind up in the roller mechanism (and ultimately got tangled so badly that the roller could no longer work) - was clearly due to normal wear/tear. I'm going to have to think about this one. Many thanks for your backup.

Seatbelts should be covered. Tell them that Roberts Subaru in Downingtown, PA fixed mine. I say BS on your dealer.

I have to laugh because the teacher that I work with took me for a ride in her Legacy and commented that I still have 150,000 miles to go in mine to catch up to her.

Seatbelts should be covered. Tell them that Roberts Subaru in Downingtown, PA fixed mine. I say BS on your dealer.

I have to laugh because the teacher that I work with took me for a ride in her Legacy and commented that I still have 150,000 miles to go in mine to catch up to her.

You're right. It says that the seatbelts are covered for unlimited mileage and a lifetime in the owners manual.

I'd go back for a refund with the manual in hand.

You're right. It says that the seatbelts are covered for unlimited mileage and a lifetime in the owners manual.

I'd go back for a refund with the manual in hand.

I finally got my car back from the replacement of the rusty filler neck and went through the seatbelt warranty info (I even found the orginal warranty booklet!) with the tech shop; they seemed very surprised about the seatbelt being warrantied for life. I'm still waiting for their response but many thanks to everyone who helped me on this one.

Bought mine June 1st. June 7th, it blew a head gasket. Replaced all the gaskets and seals as well as replaced the plastic oil separator cover on the back of the engine with the updated metal one. Replaced plugs and wires. Put on new front pads (Hawk HPS) and rotors and flushed the brake fluid. Drained and refilled the transmission (will replace the filter and add an external cooler when I finally rebound from getting laid off).

Overall the car runs fantastic and is in very good condition. The car has 151,xxx miles on it and it drives like it has 50k on it. The only remaining problems are that the car stumbles a split second right when you first take off (I think it is the MAF, may have gotten damaged while the car was apart, fuel trims are way positive at idle and way negative while cruising, typical sign of MAF failure) and it makes a ticking noise that sounds like valvetrain noise from a single valve, yet the lash adjustment is right on and there is no visually obvious problems.

Still, I'm very happy with the car. After having FWD for a while, including 1 fairly high power FWD car, I'm really enjoying the traction of AWD.

New/continuing problem. While driving in town, the check engine light came on and car coasted to stop with no power from pressing the gas pedal. Car restarted in about 15-20 minutes worked fine except check engine light stayed on every time I drove the car for next 24 hours and then went off. This is 3rd or 4th time in 2 years this has happened. I had engine rebuilt in 2005 when head gasket blew - don't know if this has anything to do with it.

That would be a good start. Sounds similar to the failures a lot of cars have when the coil ignitor fails (also known as the power transistor). It overheats and stops working, which stops the coil(s) from firing and stops the engine. Once it cools, it starts working again.

That would be a good start. Sounds similar to the failures a lot of cars have when the coil ignitor fails (also known as the power transistor). It overheats and stops working, which stops the coil(s) from firing and stops the engine. Once it cools, it starts working again.

This is a good idea. It would also cause a misfire, which could throw a check engine light, which would go out when the ECU resets. I think you've got it nailed.

Anyway, a quick update on the '92...

151K miles. I've gotta replace all 4 rotors and pads, maybe some bushings. Front struts at some point. After feeling the difference in ride quality after replacing the rear struts and that broken strut mount, I want to do the fronts. I might do front left wheel bearings as well, since I think there's a little wobble in that wheel. I think the bearing might be gone because when I got the car inspected I watched as the technician pulled it into the garage bay and when he hit a little bump I saw the front left wheel do a little dance. At some point I want to try the MSD ignition swap too.... :)

Archived