-bondo patch in left fender

-bondo patch lower drivers door

-soon to be bondo patch over passenger door when it hits 40+ outside

-crack from one side of drivers window to the other

-steering wheel misaligned

-tear in driver's seat

-springs bounce a lot when below 15 deg. F

-hole in pipe (noisy)

-screws somehow missing in radio (faceplate falls out) (previous owner took them??)

-Blown Back speaker

-bad alternator (needed replacing)

-somebody cut holes in grill for fog lights and then took the lights off :mad:

-bleached out interior

-key dosen't match outside doors!! who's gonna jack it anyways!! :lol:

-crappy tires that leak

-yellowed light covers

-chip missing from left tail light

there's a reason it's called the Suborghini

anybody want some pics??

Suborghini LOL.

You have a lot of rust! How many miles?

For the steering being mis-aligned have you tried getting an alignment? After I replaced my front springs (one of them was broken:eek: one was rusted) my alignment was all messed up. $75 for an alignment, and it is better.

Suborghini LOL.

You have a lot of rust! How many miles?

For the steering being mis-aligned have you tried getting an alignment? After I replaced my front springs (one of them was broken:eek: one was rusted) my alignment was all messed up. $75 for an alignment, and it is better.

about 173,860

you had a broken spring??? ouch...

Didn't some of those get recalled? I remember reading something about bad paint on the springs affecting Legacy's in the snow belt 97-99.

There was a recall on the 96's, the drain hole on the strut didn't work right. So the strut would pool water and the spring would sit in it. Had some known failures with that.

There was a recall on the 96's, the drain hole on the strut didn't work right. So the strut would pool water and the spring would sit in it. Had some known failures with that.

I wish!! I've got a 90'

it only happens when it's real cold like low 10's or single digits. it got to 30 today and it was smooth sailing...

On another note, I'm slightly concerned about my head gaskets. I'm not sure if the PO replaced them. The coolant is perfect, and doesn't even look dirty. But after changing the oil today I noticed that it is leaking oil all over the place. I would guess that they would have been replaced during the timing belt 50k ago. But a tech who isn't familiar with these engines probably wouldn't even know to do so when the engine is out.

Don't think you have to pull engine to replace timing belt. The leaks could be from the rear main seal too, especially if the oil seems to be concentrated to the center of the car. Its not as bad as it sounds though. You have to take out the trans and flywheel. The main seal pops straight off the shaft and you tap a new one in place. Pretty easy.

Just bought a very nice looking and I thought good running 98 LGT w/ 4EAT. Here is the list of everything that will need to be replaced or rebuilt that I know of as of right now.

Head gaskets (#3 has an internal coolant to cylinder leak)

any other seals I can/should do while engine is out

spark plugs (#3 is shot and the others are worn)

OEM thermostat, it has a temporary auto zone replacement

radiator air vent plug (the head broke off)

Both front calipers

All four rotors

trans rebuild(slips shifting into 3rd)

Pioneer stereo and speakers (still has crappy OEM system)

^ how many miles? The head gasket issue usually happens around 120k.

And no, you don't have to pull the engine to do the timing belt.

Didn't some of those get recalled? I remember reading something about bad paint on the springs affecting Legacy's in the snow belt 97-99.

Yeah, most of the springs off the '96 legacies were recalled. There is a little cup thing the spring falls into when it breaks so it doesn't go into the tire. Which was nice...

That reminds me. I need to get my foglights working again. They need new bulbs and a thorough cleaning.

Luckily I have an auto so nobody rides my clutch. However I share your same pain with most women driving stick. My Honda's previous owners were two 18 year old girls who learned stick on the car. 91,000 miles later when I buy the thing the clutch isn't so friendly anymore.

Huh, this is an interesting thread. I read the first few pages of the thread, and especially related to the post where the guy had only had his Legacy for a week or so, and it was already giving him trouble. He had vacuumed it and was going to take it to the wash, but it wouldn't start. I can definately relate to that. I had cleaned my Legacy all up when I bought it in June of 08. I had just finished transferring my stereo and putting in my new head-unit and new Sirius. I was driving down the free way and pulled off and looked down and my temp gauge was pinned to the H! I got really worried. Long story short and about $1400 later, put new head gaskets on there and no problems since (apparently it's a common issue with the 2.5GT in the 97-99 years). However within that 3 months time while I was still on the old gaskets, I was constantly filling it up with coolant, and I just got tired of it so I finally brought it in, to the "family mechanic". I put that in quotes, because we usually do all this crap ourselves, but not something I wanted to attempt. Anyways, after many more times of overheating, I learned that the CV joints, and shortly thereafter, the clutch were bad as well! I was beginning to think the car didn't like me, and the feeling was beginning to become mutual. Long story short again, I've replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, clutch, front CV joints, brakes, and tires. And this is all within the first 5 months of owning the car. I paid way too much for the car, and I have a feeling the previous owner may have known about all of these issues. I put in an additional $3000-$4000 dollars into the car, but really it's an awesome car! I love the thing to death! In the winter time the all wheel drive, just eats anything else, and in the summer it doesn't get any better than rolling down all the windows, opening the sunroof and listening to the boxer style 4 cylinder roar!

Anyways, for all you feeling like I did, sinking a bunch of money into a car that doesn't seem to appreciate it, just hang in there. Once you get all the kinks worked out, you'll be fine, and you'll find that you'll love your Subaru, as I do. They're very tempermental cars (especially the older ones), but once you get them happy, you'll love it!

Sorry for the long post, but that's my story, and I hope maybe someone who was in the situation I was in, can be encouraged.

I am right there. I did the brakes last week, and this spring the front calipers will need replacing. I have a stereo to install, but first I need to replace the HG (tomorrow) and now it looks like I need to take it in to a tranny shop and get the auto trans looked at :mad:. Hopefully that is all it will need for awhile and it better be because the wife is gonna cut off used car repair funds real soon. Fortunately the previous owner did a bunch of small things like the timing belt, plugs and wires, and tires.

The auto trannies in the older subarus are horrible... I know very few people who haven't have problems with them.

I can relate to the subaru money hole though... I put a god $2000 into my car in the first 3 months of owning it. But now it is running great and doesn't have one problem. (well, nothing that bad anyway...)

....I'm still hanging in there. I agree that the stupid auto tranny is very annoying. I replaced the solenoid which killed the rear diff (knew before I bought it). Once that got fixed I got the car back and it jumps from 1st to 2nd.:mad: Every now and then it doesn't but just about every time it does.

I still like to tell myself I got a good deal. I bought it with a bad rear diff & solenoid with 165k for $1,000. Replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil pack, rear diff & solenoid, pcv valve, fuel filter, tranny flush, brakes, exhaust, tires, and wipers for about $1,500. So that leaves me at $2,500 for a decent running legacy. It has it's cosmetic flaws (you can kind of see in the pic below) but I'm buying a new rear bumper and new metal panels below the tails this weekend for $150.00.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/coreboy7/suby/12-24-08_1538.jpg

Total so far $2,650. Just need a new front bumper cover, some floor mats, a couple interior bits (many plastic peices broken), replacement fogs, and I'm good to go.

I do enjoy driving it in the snow! But on a nice day, I still prefer the civic. I'm going to blame that one on the auto and the soft winterforces!:redface:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/coreboy7/suby/P2060827.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived