LegacyGT.com

The "My Legacy is Falling Apart Thread"

SLegacy99

I too have the EGR valve error code........and lately the warning light on the dash has mysteriously fixed itself.....I gotta believe that since the summer in MI has been so dry, there's no water condensation in those little metal tubes that seem to cause the EGR error code trigger in most legacy/imprezzas. I had gotten so used to the warning light being on, that after I replaced my rear brake rotors a few weeks back, the light mysteriously went off....unlinked coincidence? Of course - that's how car things work.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$2200 at the dealer (happened out of town)

Head was warped so had to be sent out for machining.

Price includes replacing a half-shaft (boot was gone for who knows how long)

what did that headgasket replacement (with all those bells/whistles) cost you? $1000? i wonder if it'd be worth it on my car since by that time, the car's value will prolly only be worth about $4k.

:( :( My motor just started knocking yesterday.

Luckily it's only when I first start it though. Goes away after I drive for about 30 seconds. At 178k I'm a little dissapointed.

That's a shame. My '99 OBW with the same DOHC 2.5 is at 167k miles. I hope it doesn't die in the next 11k miles :(

I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I'm sure it will too :)

I don't actually drive it to much. I use it in the nasty winter days because it has better clearance than my legacy, and studded tires. I use it for hauling a lot of crap around because it is a wagon, and it has a tow hitch. So I can pull my boat around.

For the most part I use my legacy though.

Nice. I've been thinking about getting a second Leggy wagon to haul stuff around with and have it be my winter car. My car is getting closer and closer to not being a daily driver.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Yup. I do like Outbacks. I'm just partial to the Legacy look. Not a big fan of the two-toned OB body. Although, like I've always said, performance is much better than looks.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Better News!

Three hours with my father-in-laws mechanic buddy and the following repairs are complete:

1. Replaced rf drive shaft (split inside boot) = $47 for complete axle refurbished.

2. Replaced two front rotors (pads done already) = $44 for 2

3. Top off ac refrigerant = $15

4. Clear CEL (bad #1 spark plug) = n/c

$50 labor for the whole enchilada (plus a few beers)!

Runs Great!

Lance

3 hours doesn't seem that bad with beer involved.

Anyway, as of late my drivers power window has been pulling the inside weather stripping with it whenever I roll it down. Sometimes when I use the AutoDown feature it will stop halfway down. It's really stressing out the already tired window motor. I am thinking about replacing or removing the weather stripping since there is another piece of weather stripping further down the door, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea yet or not.

Probably not one of my brighter ideas, but I put some petroleum jelly on the weather stripping a while back and it did work for a little bit, but all it really did after that was leave these greasy streak marks all over the window... Yeah, I wasn't thinking. :lol:

Positives:

Runs just fine.

3 new spark plugs.

New oil w/stop leak & cyl restore.

New transmission fluid.

New differential fluid.

Outback seats, center console, door panels, & front clip.

New Brembo drilled discs. (All around.)

WRX pads.

No transmission leaks.

No differential leaks.

Rides smooth.

Outback premium sound system (tweeters included).

Negatives:

Stripped bolt head on transmission pan.

Engine has many seal leaks. (Smokes like hell).

Driver's side doorlock is seized.

Warped Caliper (Grinded excess metal away).

Seized Spark Plug on Cyl#4.

CV joint on driver's side front knocks when I stop. (Happens every once in a while).

Shocks are worn out. (Bushings are like wet sponges.)

80w90 in front. 75w90 in rear.

Rear seats are still stock

2 front tires have different treads.

Passenger side front tire is a Firestone.

Negatives:

Stripped bolt head on transmission pan.

Slot it out and remove it with a screwdriver if possible. Or just use a bolt-out.

Driver's side doorlock is seized.

Very common, almost to common to be funny.

Warped Caliper (Grinded excess metal away).

What is wrong with you? You took a grinder to a brake disk and didn't make it worse? If anything pay $15 and get it turned down!

CV joint on driver's side front knocks when I stop. (Happens every once in a while).

$75 after core charge an an hour or a little more of your time... Next. :lol: J/K

Shocks are worn out. (Bushings are like wet sponges.)

$150 for two, $300 for four. 2-3 hours of your time if properly equipped. Rent a spring compressor from Advance Auto parts if you have to.

80w90 in front. 75w90 in rear.

Not a problem, if anything thick oil will preserve worn seals for a little bit longer. I'd rather run gear oil that's too thick than oil that's too thin.

Rear seats are still stock

Do you have a choice?

2 front tires have different treads.

$300 for 2 extremely nice front tires. You can make this as cheap as you want it to be if you don't mind running cheap tires.

Passenger side front tire is a Firestone.

Only one or two models of Firestone tires are deemed dangerous. I have a 1986 F150 with one front Firestone tire that's old as dirt with no cracks and it still holds air fine. Unless you have a mid-late 90's Explorer don't worry about Firestone tires... Worry about cracks in the treads/sidewalls and how much life it has on it.

Your car is fine. Better than mine if anything...... :lol:;)

Wanna trade? I'll have all that fixed in a day and be totally ballin'! :lol:

Four new plugs and wires installed today... What a Huge Difference!

The old plugs had a gap of about .060 and the electrode was almost gone.

Now she rev's easily above 5k and pulls all the way!

Numbers 2 and 4 are a PAIN!!!

Lance

• 1 year later...
I'm at 168k and have only had my legacy gt for a week and the list seems to be getting bigger and bigger. When I bought the car I knew it had some slight problems. A missing interior switch here and there, bumper covers in need of replacement, new tail light, new tires, brakes, etc. No CEL's though. The rear diff or something of the like needs replacement. Whenever driven, it makes a very loud humming noise. And now it hasn't been starting.

I really like this car but apparently it doesn't like me. I vacuumed the interior and bought it some new wipers and this is what I get?:lol: And I was going to wash and wax it but you kinda need a running car to get it to a heated garage.

I kept reading this thread, but when I got to this it kind of made my day - for I had similar feeling a week ago (I like my car but it doesn't like me.:lol:.

water pump, timing belt + pulleys, rear struts, rear driveshaft - boots, alternator change, now suspension links. I always feel there is less left to do, than what is already done. Have had a good ride for 1yr. It runs beautiful & sturdy (over 200k kms) :)

Archived