LegacyGT.com

The "My Legacy is Falling Apart Thread"

SLegacy99

Today I had the strangest issue... I was pulling out of a gas station, and as I gave it gas to get up a bit of a hill and get up to speed I heard "POP, BANG". And then my engine running really crappy. There is a place right across the street that does tires, and alignments and stuff, so I drove there. My engine was running horrible, making lots of noise and shaking like crazy. Shut it off, and opened the hood expecting to see a rod sticking out of the engine... and a spark plug was missing http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif That would be the POP, and BANG as it came out hit the side of the car, and landed on top of my battery... Well I was at the right place, borrowed a rachet, extension, and socket. Put the plug back in, and drove offhttp://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Holy **** that gave me a scare though, I was envisioning a new engine.... http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/images/smilies/additional/spin.gif

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it worked fine after? Wow, any idea how it happened? Not screwed in all the way or something?

It works fine. I know exactly what happened, my spark plug came out :p. No idea why though... Maybe my engine wanted some attention?I

I'm just glad it happened where it did, and at 800rpm and not 3000rpm.

- Rust spots forming at the front/top corner's of the rear wheel well - both sides.

- "D" light no longer functions on the dash (4EAT).

- Low gas light is dead.

- 80% sure the head gasket issue has reared it's ugly head and will need to be fixed this spring (136XXX miles).

- Rust spots forming at the front/top corner's of the rear wheel well - both sides.

- "D" light no longer functions on the dash (4EAT).

- Low gas light is dead.

- 80% sure the head gasket issue has reared it's ugly head and will need to be fixed this spring (136XXX miles).

It is really easy to get the gauge cluster out and replace the bulbs. It is a half hour job, tops.

Really? I thought it would be a bitch..... hells yes, new project for the 5 days off I have coming up!

some time between 2000 and 2004 they started making it a bigger pain in the butt, I'm not sure which models changed. But if it is like the old ones you pull off the plastic around the gauge cluster, take out the 4 screws around the gauge cluster, take off the plugs, and it comes out. That easy, 8 screws.

If it is the newer design, the front of the dash is all one piece from the left air vent to the center air vent. There are a couple screws and some snaps, but it still isn't a big deal.

I'd better knock on wood. I'm having really good luck with the LGT lately. Took it on a 4 hour trip to the cape and back on Saturday. Then on Sunday I took it on a 2 hour trip to mass and back. My odometer is rolling over like no tomorrow.

My only gripe with the car right now is the automatic. That and a few cosmetic flaws.

I'd better knock on wood. I'm having really good luck with the LGT lately. Took it on a 4 hour trip to the cape and back on Saturday. Then on Sunday I took it on a 2 hour trip to mass and back. My odometer is rolling over like no tomorrow.

My only gripe with the car right now is the automatic. That and a few cosmetic flaws.

Swapping in a manual wouldn't be that hard.

How much might a manual swap go for? I'm pretty mechanically challenged so I'm not sure how well that one would go.

No idea. It probably isn't worth paying someone to do. It is one of those projects that's only worth it if you do it yourself. But ask around, you might find someone.

I have only ever had one CEL in my car, and I don't know what it was. I spun off the road into a snow bank at about 10mph. I didn't get on the clutch soon enough, so it stalled. I started it back up, it took a bit of spinning to get out, but I made it. Then on my way home the CEL came on. Unplugged the battery to reset it, and never came back or haunted me. No idea what it was.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Ill make my addition while Im taking a break from convincing my self not to junk this 1990 Legacy wagon :D.

First off I got it from a mechanic and Im fairly certain now he had no clue what the hell a subaru was. soo in the first week the Rear diff burnt a baring. Then it ran good till I made a few trips over the mountians to yakima WA, the car started overheating. The thermostat was bad and replaced that, and the car was still overheating and pissing coolant. I just replaced the water pump timing belt and all the hoses and the head gasket (all though different times of this weekend) and its still overheating and the temprature guage is lieing to me also... i think the sensor did go out.

there are scratches and dents all over the body that need to be bondoed

The tachometer randomly stops working, the speedometer is off by 5 mph, and again im fairly certin the temp guage is lieing to me. theres a leak in the half shaft boots, both my front CV joints are going, the transmisson has a funny hesitation to it... and other than overheating... runs like a champ.

Ya know what I love about this car? Despite the few troubles I've had and the money I've spent, which isn't too bad for a ten year old car, I can still have fun. Tonight I was driving home from work and I slammed on the gas and I actually felt all 4 wheels spin out from underneath me, the engine revved loud and I scooted off quickly, in a car that is notorious for not being all that fast. But it can still hold its own.

I guess Ill make my addition while Im taking a break from convincing my self not to junk this 1990 Legacy wagon :D.

First off I got it from a mechanic and Im fairly certain now he had no clue what the hell a subaru was. soo in the first week the Rear diff burnt a baring. Then it ran good till I made a few trips over the mountians to yakima WA, the car started overheating. The thermostat was bad and replaced that, and the car was still overheating and pissing coolant. I just replaced the water pump timing belt and all the hoses and the head gasket (all though different times of this weekend) and its still overheating and the temprature guage is lieing to me also... i think the sensor did go out.

there are scratches and dents all over the body that need to be bondoed

The tachometer randomly stops working, the speedometer is off by 5 mph, and again im fairly certin the temp guage is lieing to me. theres a leak in the half shaft boots, both my front CV joints are going, the transmisson has a funny hesitation to it... and other than overheating... runs like a champ.

have to add to the list. we thought we had the overheating issue fixed soo i decided to drive it to work yesterday and got a mile from work and blew the head gasket and had to tow it home, soo now I have to either do the heads or an engine swap... *sigh* I guess it was falling apart!

Head gaskets are not that hard to do if you have the tools...

And my gauges are all off too. Speedo is random, not even worth looking at. The tach consistently reads about 500 RPM low, but at least it is always the same, so I can judge my speed from it.

My gas gauge isn't worth looking at, and my temp gauge always reads HOT.

It is just the gauge cluster though, my friend has a scangauge2 and that reads all the correct values.

Ya know what I love about this car? Despite the few troubles I've had and the money I've spent, which isn't too bad for a ten year old car, I can still have fun. Tonight I was driving home from work and I slammed on the gas and I actually felt all 4 wheels spin out from underneath me, the engine revved loud and I scooted off quickly, in a car that is notorious for not being all that fast. But it can still hold its own.

haha I wish I could get all 4 to spin :( boo for my 2.2L

ha I'm more scared because of all the mileage on my 5MT at 198,200 miles

haha I wish I could get all 4 to spin :( boo for my 2.2L

ha I'm more scared because of all the mileage on my 5MT at 198,200 miles

as long as you treat the tranny well, it should have no problem at 200k and beyond. they are durable as hell.

Sure you can get all 4 tires to spin... on snow or dirt, I do all the time :)

I love my 2.2, it is a friggin' beast.

Found some rust on my pretty much rustless car after detailing it this past weekend. Both rear wheel wells have small amounts of rust starting. And 3 out of the 4 doors are rusting on the bottom.

The car is still mechanically great. I've trusted it for many long distance trips. Just hit 171k this morning. I can't wait till 200k.

The car is also quite fun in the mud :)

Found some rust on my pretty much rustless car after detailing it this past weekend. Both rear wheel wells have small amounts of rust starting. And 3 out of the 4 doors are rusting on the bottom.

The car is still mechanically great. I've trusted it for many long distance trips. Just hit 171k this morning. I can't wait till 200k.

The car is also quite fun in the mud :)

I have rust on the bottom of one of my doors. How do you fix that?

And my '96 hasn't even hit 100,000 yet...

my ABS idiot light goes on and off randomly...after my mechanic looked at my car he told me it was my passenger front/driver rear ABS sensors and my ABS pump that went bad...

He quoted me about $750 parts and labor (including a used ABS pump)...Lancaster County Motors Subaru wanted $1260 for parts alone but included a brand new ABS pump...

thoughts?

is this something I need to get done asap or can I just drive w/out ABS?

as long as you treat the tranny well, it should have no problem at 200k and beyond. they are durable as hell.

Sure you can get all 4 tires to spin... on snow or dirt, I do all the time :)

I love my 2.2, it is a friggin' beast.

hah that's why I went with a MT this time.. the older 4EAT's for me are weak

and looks like no more snow yet or again for this season.. who knows... we do have some rain coming up so maybe I can find some mud (unlikely)

hah that's why I went with a MT this time.. the older 4EAT's for me are weak

and looks like no more snow yet or again for this season.. who knows... we do have some rain coming up so maybe I can find some mud (unlikely)

Good Fing riddance to the snow LOL

I'd much rather go play around in mud/dirt :)

Archived