LegacyGT.com

The Official 2009 WRX Thread

RobE

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love what subaru have done here, 265hp car for 25k or less once the hype dies down, looks so much better than the 08 with such subtle changes, just watching a review of it on nasioc, but you can pay what 35k-40k for an sti? why would ya do it? for 35hp? and slightly better suspension, im sure with that extra 10k in your pocket you could turn that wrx into an m3 killer let alone a stock sti, i think they may just have to up the sti power too :D

^ Base STI can be had for 32K. Spend more than that if you want Nav and light weight BBS wheels. Also the STI has more aggressive wider fender flares. It also has 6speed gear box, quad exhuast, different turbo, different intercooler, etc. 10K worth....:rolleyes:

If your at stage 2 and have nearly 4000posts i strugle to believe you dont now what the impeller is :D

Not the most common term around here...now I know its commonly referred to as a compressor wheel. Thanks :)

The impeller is opposite of a pro-peller.

A propeller exerts force on the air around it, an impeller receives force from the air around it.

So an impeller in a turbocharger, is the spinning vane wheel that the exhaust imparts force on.

The impeller wheel, being directly connected to the compressor wheel (a propeller in a confined space that compresses air from input to output) transfers exhaust heat and velocity energy into rotational kinetic energy (spinning) which the compressor turns into air pressure back into the intake side of the engine. The engine then turns the additional quantity of air, and corresponding fuel, into more kinetic spinning energy into the drivetrain, and more exhaust heat and velocity energy.

Like Saab says in their commercials... turbocharging is like recycling energy.

Iwanna thanks for the further clarification

I cannot wait to see what kind of numbers people get with stage 2 and this turbo. I am assuming it will be around 300 whp :).

Hopefully people will sell this turbo for reasonably cheap.

Iwanna thanks for the further clarification

I cannot wait to see what kind of numbers people get with stage 2 and this turbo. I am assuming it will be around 300 whp :).

Hopefully people will sell this turbo for reasonably cheap.

I'll be looking into this. Could be a nice beginner turbo upgrade.

Drove one at Subiefest today. Clutch is way too light for my liking. Didn't have too much seat time, but it seemed similar to a LGT with regards to power delivery, but with more body roll (so the rocking motion during accel/brake is emphasized).

the body roll on the 09 is far less than that of a stock lgt...even on the 08

and it's the same stock clutch in the wrx that has been used in the legacy 5 spd since 05

even with the suspension upgrades the 09 is lacking what most enthusiasts consider a firm ride.

other changes from the 08 to 09(asthetics) premium aero is now on base model, seats are embossed with red wrx logo, both models at my local dealer have the aluminum pedals, and the tire size was changed from 205 50 17 re92's to 225 45 17 dunlops.

I still haven't found much on the 52 turbo

I'm happy with the 08...mostly because they had 2 left and I gots a killer deal that allowed extra monies for upgrading beyond what is offered on the o9.

All right, I normally don't like to have to do this to someone like IWSS, but, the quote below is not true.

An impeller is an enclosed propeller, generally centrifugal in nature and used to increase pressure. (Compressor to most folks) The "opposite" of an impeller is an expeller, which everyone here knows as a tubine.

So, the compressor on the VF52 is the same as the VF48, but we do not know about the turbine yet. Then again, SOA Blog might not know what this stuff means either, and they could mean the compressor and turbine are the same but the housings are different...

The impeller is opposite of a pro-peller.

A propeller exerts force on the air around it, an impeller receives force from the air around it.

So an impeller in a turbocharger, is the spinning vane wheel that the exhaust imparts force on.

The impeller wheel, being directly connected to the compressor wheel (a propeller in a confined space that compresses air from input to output) transfers exhaust heat and velocity energy into rotational kinetic energy (spinning) which the compressor turns into air pressure back into the intake side of the engine. The engine then turns the additional quantity of air, and corresponding fuel, into more kinetic spinning energy into the drivetrain, and more exhaust heat and velocity energy.

Like Saab says in their commercials... turbocharging is like recycling energy.

:spin:

an Expeller?

I have never heard of an expeller.

I can understand, sort of, the use of the word "impeller" as a compression generating device.

But an expeller doesn;t sound right. A turbocharger's exhaust driven vane wheel doesn't extract exhaust from the engine, and work to expel gasses through the exhaust.

The exhaust side receives energy from the exhaust and provides some impedance while doing so, it doesn't impart energy to expel or extract exhaust.

I'll do some more reading on the vocabulary terms, but the principle of a contained exhaust vane wheel being driven by heat pressure, and gas velocity, which in turn spins a compressor vane wheel on the intake side is accurate.

I may have to stand corrected, but I have never heard the term "expeller" used in context of a turbocharger.

Archived