LegacyGT.com

The Official 2009 WRX Thread

RobE

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got a link?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/31/mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-priced-at-26-490/

Starts at $26,490 actually. The Recaro package adds the seats, HID and Rockford sound system for another $2,750. Looks like it should top out at ~$30k. BTW, it comes standard with the dual clutch transmission. It would be nice if Mitsu bring over the Sportback version with the 5MT or 6MT and knock ~$1500 off. A loaded $28.5k Ralliart Sportback would be very tempting.

The 2009 Impreza WRX comes with a 5-speed manual transmission.

FAIL!

I love that WRX will only be available in MT, but come on, get with the late 90s and give us the damn 6 speed. Especially since this car is ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAIL!

I love that WRX will only be available in MT, but come on, get with the late 90s and give us the damn 6 speed. Especially since this car is ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was ugly when I first saw it, now I think its hot lol. I guess its an acquired taste. Just curious, why do ya think we need 6 speeds as standard equip.? Would it be able to handle more bhp? more mod friendly?

How about a nice low-RPM highway cruising gear?

Basically the five speed with an extra overdrive. Perhaps spacing the first 5 gears slightly closer together, or a taller final drive, but a nice 6th gear for cruise NVH and mileage.

Plus the fact that the subaru 6-speed shifts nicer, and has better clutch quality, and capability of using VDC.

Is that enough reasons for you? ;):D

That also feeds into the fact that I wish the Spec B were 30k without mandatory NAV (nav and 5EAT-SS both optional), and basically replaces the GT limited, at it's price point.

with at least the '09 WRX's 265 hp, if not closer to 300hp.

With bilsteins, better stock brake pads, and the aluminum control arms that hopefully don't hammer over road imperfections like my 05 GT does.

But I don't think that is going to happen. WRX is getting all of the attention.

Legacy had better get some real love for '10... The '09 A4 just got pricing released, and it starts at 32k, for the base 2.0TFSI, with FWD, and up from there. But they sure do look nice, including the A4 Avant wagon. Legacy has a real opportunity to socket in under that, if they do it right... but these are also the people who don't think a Legacy wagon, GT or otherwise, is a good idea.

Well sure, those are good reasons to have a 6-speed, but we all know that just because something is a good idea doesn't mean SOA will do it (WRX power bump aside). As far as messing with the ratios to give us a super-overdrive (and idea I wholly support) - didn't they manage to not do that for both the Spec B and STI 6-speeds? Maybe they can rationalize it by saying the WRX is not as "performance-oriented" as those two cars, so it doesn't need a "performance-oriented" 6th gear (when do you use 6th in a high-performance setting? The Mulsanne?).

Uh oh, this post makes it look like I'm one of the bitter, resentful Subaru owners.

IlovemyLGTIlovemyLGTIlovemyLGT... :D

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

How about a nice low-RPM highway cruising gear?

Basically the five speed with an extra overdrive. Perhaps spacing the first 5 gears slightly closer together, or a taller final drive, but a nice 6th gear for cruise NVH and mileage.

Plus the fact that the subaru 6-speed shifts nicer, and has better clutch quality, and capability of using VDC.

Is that enough reasons for you?

the wrx already has VDC with the 5MT. :rolleyes:

Uh oh, this post makes it look like I'm one of the bitter, resentful Subaru owners.

IlovemyLGTIlovemyLGTIlovemyLGT... :D

interesting...

Everyone thinks that to be supportive, you have to be saccharin-sweet and positive about everything.

If I seem like a bitter resentful subaru owner, it is only because people misinterpret my wishes that Subaru would do better.

If I were a bitter resentful subaru owner, I would not be a subaru owner for long, and then wouldn't give subaru another thought.

The only reason to get worked up, and to voice a possibly unpopular opinion, is because one, such as me, cares enough about the subject to forward criticism, usually constructive, to encourage improvement for Subaru.

Who ever learned something from their sycophantic "yes-men"? Nobody, they only get a false sense of righteousness.

I am not calling anyone here a sycophant, or a "yes man", truly. I am just using a bit of hyperbole as an illustration to illuminate my point that criticism isn't bitter or resentful, unless it is detached from reality or rationality. And lack of constructive criticism is really no more compassionate and thoughtful than unrealistically harsh criticism or irrational bashing.

I want Subaru to do better. I hope they will.

I love my Legacy GT, too. Best car I've ever had. And it could be even better yet.

Haha, people are bitching that the wrx does't have a 6-speed. If anyone can bitch it's evo x gsr owners. 33k+ car with a 5 speed? The wrx is fine with a 5 speed. Remember they need to keep SOME THINGS different from the STI.

Uh, the bitter part I was referring to in my post was my own assumption that, if it's a good idea, they won't do it. I'm not calling you bitter or resentful any more than you're calling me a sycophantic yes-man (hmm, that would be a good title for me...got to take advantage of this donor status...). :)

I, too, hope they do better. And until then, I'll stay a little bitter and a little resentful everytime SOJ/worldwide does something right that SOA either fails to do or does wrong.

And I do love my LGT. It was never perfect, and isn't yet, but that's why I love it - it's better for what I've done to it. If it were perfect, I wouldn't be on this site learning how to improve it!

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Uh, the bitter part I was referring to in my post was my own assumption that, if it's a good idea, they won't do it. I'm not calling you bitter or resentful any more than you're calling me a sycophantic yes-man (hmm, that would be a good title for me...got to take advantage of this donor status...). :)

I, too, hope they do better. And until then, I'll stay a little bitter and a little resentful everytime SOJ/worldwide does something right that SOA either fails to do or does wrong.

And I do love my LGT. It was never perfect, and isn't yet, but that's why I love it - it's better for what I've done to it. If it were perfect, I wouldn't be on this site learning how to improve it!

I really, REALLY wasn't calling you sycophantic. If you want to use it you are welcome to, though.

The thing is, I usually get a little flack for being critical of Subaru, an I usually am not to shy about bringing it up.

Otherwise, I think we pretty much agree.

I like your legacy, too. Nice shade of blue!

I wish they had done better with the Impreza, and the RallyArt is packing more equipment, although less horsepower.

If the 5MT had as good a shifter, and especially as good a clutch as the 6MT, I would think the 5MT was quite good.

But several people also complain about cruising RPMs being a bit higher on 5MT subies than other cars, especially being just under positive boost on turbo models. A bit of throttle to go up a hill, and you are really into boost range, and a 6th gear with a good overdrive ratio would take care of that, too. 6MT isn't too much to ask, when the competition has a dual-clutch gearbox...

This isn't going to help anything at the Ralliart will sell more units.
Only among those who can't operate a manual transmission. The new WRX will thrash the Ralliart in all of the upcoming magazine performance comparisons.

^^ clairvoyant?
The new WRX has better summer performance tires and better suspension than the old WRX. The Ralliart's tires are only 215 mm wide and mounted on heavy 18" rims while the new WRX's tires are 225 mm wide and mounted on lighter 17" rims. The Ralliart is about 330 lbs heavier than the WRX and yet it has 28 fewer horsepower. And the Ralliart's transmission won't let you launch it hard without seriously burning up a clutch, so that kills its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It doesn't take a clairvoyant to realize that the Ralliart has shown up to a gunfight with the WRX armed with only a knife.

Archived