LegacyGT.com

STI Badges on a Legacy: Cool or Lame?

Guest LGT-NY

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ In your defense, when I first bought my wagon, it had an STi logo in the back, the wheels, and the steering wheel. (Granted my car when I first bought was faster than even Stage II STi, I wasn't real happy with the fact they were on the car). The only thing close to a STi product on my car is Bilsteins and Pinks.

Even now that I am back to stock (well Stage 1), I wouldn't even consider an STi badge unless I had an STi turbo (VF39/VF43), STi Intake Manifold, STi TMIC, etc.

Needless to say, those STi "stickers" are no longer on my car. ;)

For all you haters. ;)

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/e/introduction/index.html

STI (SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL) is a subsidiary company of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI) and was established to undertake all motor sports activities for SUBARU. STI delivers extra value to the huge number of SUBARU motor sports fans worldwide through its business projects that include the development and sale of accessories and tuning parts, and by providing base cars for motor sport activities, as well as parts supply and tuning technology. The firm is also involved in the planning and application of special specification cars for SUBARU, and in brightening up the 'car life' aspect with accessories and tuning parts' development.

Let me re-iterate. The STi is NOT a car. If you have STi parts, period, then why shouldn't you be able to advertise their logo? It is no different than buying a Cobb DP and putting a Cobb sticker on, or Perrin, Whiteline, etc etc.

So for you all you STi badge haters, mind your own fukin business and do what you like and respect what others like.

My $0.02

:rolleyes:

Very well said! :whore:

So the badge stays on? I don't really care either way, just don't wanna be bothered by the haters. :mad:

For all you haters. ;)

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/e/introduction/index.html

STI (SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL) is a subsidiary company of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI) and was established to undertake all motor sports activities for SUBARU. STI delivers extra value to the huge number of SUBARU motor sports fans worldwide through its business projects that include the development and sale of accessories and tuning parts, and by providing base cars for motor sport activities, as well as parts supply and tuning technology. The firm is also involved in the planning and application of special specification cars for SUBARU, and in brightening up the 'car life' aspect with accessories and tuning parts' development.

Let me re-iterate. The STi is NOT a car. If you have STi parts, period, then why shouldn't you be able to advertise their logo? It is no different than buying a Cobb DP and putting a Cobb sticker on, or Perrin, Whiteline, etc etc.

So for you all you STi badge haters, mind your own fukin business and do what you like and respect what others like.

My $0.02

:rolleyes:

putting a STI badge on is like putting a AMG badge on your non AMG merc. just cause you have AMG wheels does not make it an amg model. same goes for us. so what if we have similar parts, its not an STI.

My point still stands. AMG is to Mercedes(Diamler Benz) as STI is to Subaru(FHI).

AMG is not a car, but people who put AMG on their non-AMG benz, just cause they have AMG wheels or other part, are silly.

I see no issue with have specific parts on the LGT, which were made by STI and have a STI logo on them, sporting the badge on the specific part. A sti badge on the truck or fender, unless those parts were made by STI, denotes that the car is a "Special specification: STI car which it's not and therefore it's silly. Trunk and fender badging are meant for Subaru to designate the car as special sti spec cars in the same way it is for AMG to do the same.

someone putting a STI badge on the trunk when they have a STI parts is the same as a Civic EX putting a Type-R badge on the car cause they have some parts of a Type-R, or a 330 BMW with M parts putting a M badge on the trunk...ect. Just cause its subaru, doe not make it any less retarded.

yea, I think this may go deeper than whether or not the badge belongs on the car so much as if you're the kind to put additional badges or branding on your vehicle.

I personally tend to prefer stock badging only... usually if anything I want less badges on my car.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I agree. i thing badging should be stock or removed, not added. and the only badges that should be added are badges that are built in to specific parts. Like if your exhuast or wheels or strut tower bar or grill has a logo on it, thats fine, but if you go put a generic badge on the back of your car, you are trying to portray the car as somthing its not. This goes for aftermarket brands too. Just cause you got a borla exhaust does not mean you need a borla sticker on the back or side of your car.

I had a STI badge in my grill I thought it looked good. The badge was coming off so I took it off and replaced it with the GT when I debadged. I still have the STI badge and if I were to ever swap to a STI turbo I think I would put the STI back on.

My point still stands. AMG is to Mercedes(Diamler Benz) as STI is to Subaru(FHI).

AMG is not a car, but people who put AMG on their non-AMG benz, just cause they have AMG wheels or other part, are silly.

Agreed

I see no issue with have specific parts on the LGT, which were made by STI and have a STI logo on them, sporting the badge on the specific part. A sti badge on the truck or fender, unless those parts were made by STI, denotes that the car is a "Special specification: STI car which it's not and therefore it's silly. Trunk and fender badging are meant for Subaru to designate the car as special sti spec cars in the same way it is for AMG to do the same.
Unless you do a true STi swap, I agree with this. (Wheels alone do not justify)

someone putting a STI badge on the trunk when they have a STI parts is the same as a Civic EX putting a Type-R badge on the car cause they have some parts of a Type-R, or a 330 BMW with M parts putting a M badge on the trunk...ect. Just cause its subaru, doe not make it any less retarded.

While I can agree with a lot of what you are saying here, we can agree to disagree that if you do a true STi swap (by definition, turbo, suspension etc etc, its justifiable.

Just as if you put a M3 engine/suspension into a 330i, then I think its justifiable to put an M badge on it at that point.

Its obviously a lot more common with Subaru's than Mercedes or BMWs. People that can afford BMW and Mercedes don't need to do engine swaps. :lol:

They just buy the M or AMG, respectively.

This goes for aftermarket brands too. Just cause you got a borla exhaust does not mean you need a borla sticker on the back or side of your car.

I disagree with this altogether. :)

Putting a sticker on your car is just simple advertisement of what brands of parts that are on the car. What else could a Borla sticker mean other than exhaust products? They don't make Borla cars... :lol:

^its still in poor taste, which is the whole purpose of this topic -Is it cool to put a sti badge on the car. putting a sti badge on a car thats not a sti is the same as putting stupid mod stickers on your car. you are advertising that you have sti parts the same as if you were advertising that you had borla parts. STI swaps dont make the LGT a sti car, and therefore its still lame.

^its still in poor taste, which is the whole purpose of this topic -Is it cool to put a sti badge on the car. putting a sti badge on a car thats not a sti is the same as putting stupid mod stickers on your car. you are advertising that you have sti parts the same as if you were advertising that you had borla parts. STI swaps dont make the LGT a sti car, and therefore its still lame.

You miss the point completely, there is no such thing as an STi car :rolleyes:

when i mean STI car, i mean a STI edition car. such as the WRX STI or the Legacy STI or Forester STI in Japan. Ther is no STI trim for the legacy in the USA unfortunately. Putting a STI badge on a legacy regardless of the reason, portrays the legacy as comming in a STI trim level which is false. Saying the car is somthing that its not is lame.

:lol: hey I gotz trophys to show for it :lol:

Yes, to each, his own. this thread is all about opinions anyways.

IMO, the whole idea behind the "ricer" is people portraying the car as somthing that its not. Placement of the STI badge in certian locations portrays the car, even if just to someone who doesnt know better, as being of STI trim level, which it isnt no matter how many STI parts are in the car.

IMO, the whole idea behind the "ricer" is people portraying the car as somthing that its not. Placement of the STI badge in certian locations portrays the car, even if just to someone who doesnt know better, as being of STI trim level, which it isnt no matter how many STI parts are in the car.

I agree completely with this assessment. Thats exactly how I feel.

unfortunately people who may actually have sti parts on their car may be overshadowed by the negative image given to badging like this.. like when you see "GT-R" on a kia rio or something or "Vtec" on the side of a nissan.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

whitetiger, you seem a little uptight when it comes to badges. STI makes parts just like the M division makes parts, or Perrin, Cobb etc. Putting a brand sticker on your car states that you have a part on the car made by that brand. I have perrin parts on my car, so I have perrin stickers on my car. If I had STi parts on my car, I'd have an STi sticker on my car too. You're not posing to be anything your not. Its not our fault if people don't know that STi is a tuning company and think we're posing. Its not posing. STi is an independant company. They're owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, not Subaru. Subaru could stop using STi and start making Subaru WRX Perrins instead if they wanted to, then would everybody that has perrin stickers on their car be pretending they had a car they didn't?

whitetiger, you seem a little uptight when it comes to badges. STI makes parts just like the M division makes parts, or Perrin, Cobb etc. Putting a brand sticker on your car states that you have a part on the car made by that brand.

Or that it is of a specific trim level. the specific locations such as the trunk, fender side or rocker panel trim are parts where the car manufaturer denotes the cars trim level. It does not matter if STI is a 3rd party or not. In every case where STI badge comes normally in those locations, it is on a car that is of STI trim, not just because it has STI parts. My legacy didnt come with a STI sticker from the factory, even though it had the factory installed STI STS, STI side sill plates and STI strut tower bar.

I have perrin parts on my car, so I have perrin stickers on my car. If I had STi parts on my car, I'd have an STi sticker on my car too. You're not posing to be anything your not.

no, in this case you are just putting mod stickers on your car, which is rice. But thats just my opinion.

Its not our fault if people don't know that STi is a tuning company and think we're posing. Its not posing. STi is an independant company. They're owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, not Subaru. Subaru could stop using STi and start making Subaru WRX Perrins instead if they wanted to, then would everybody that has perrin stickers on their car be pretending they had a car they didn't?

so one way you are portraying you car as of a trim level which it isnt, or you are just putting mod stickers on you car, which is rice. Again, no different than people putting AMG or M stickers on their car. And every 325i i see with a M3 badge, or C230 with a AMG bage, is lame. I dont care if they have AMg or M/// wheels. The same goes for us and STI badges.

Yes, i am a sticker nazi, but thats because i like clear cars, sleepers not cluttered with stickers and false badging. Cars dont need labels and badging to look good.

I never said that STi was a trim level, I don't think it is. Its just stating who tuned the basic WRX. STi, Cobb, Perrin, all the same to me. I don't think mod stickers are rice, the whole "rice" term is so misused now, basically now, rice stands for anything visually modified on a car that the person using the term doesn't like. It'd be different if I didn't have the parts. And if you think putting badges on cars is lame, even the manufactures are "lying", Audi has S-line audis. It's not a real S4, just kinda looks like one, and they put S badges all over the car. You can buy an M appearance kit and it comes with M badges all over it too. I've seen BMW X3s (which are pieces of crap), and if it comes with the M body kit, the door sills have M badges on them, its on the interior, etc. So this "rice" you speak of is coming straight from the manufacturer.

right, there are many instances of OEM rice. And sti is a trim level and a parts manufacturer. so i have no issure with the actual part having a badge if it comes physically attached. My Sti door sill trim has that, but you dont see me go badgin the back of my car like i actually have a Legacy STI. Some audis are s-line, but they are not badged as "S4" S-line being a trim level. S-line does not mean S4 so they are different. if M is physically part of the trim kit then its ok, but if the buy decide to apply a M badge to the back of the car, then its lame. Do you see the difference?

Lame...same cheesy thing as mustang dudes putting Cobra badges on their base or GT trim car. Even though STI is a parts division of Subaru ....BOTTOM LINE is that everyone who uses that "STI" badge is clearly trying to imply that their car is some sick special edition STI model Legacy. STI badges on a Legacy cant be justified...its posing.

I agree 100 percent with Whitetiger, but this topic can be argued forever. Some people just feel it necessary to somehow try impressing other people.... although all the STI badge supporters will deny this truth to the death. People use stickers and badges to show off how special and different they are. Thats it.

If you buy STI parts then it will say STI on "that" part. If thats not enough and people want to exclaim to the world that they are rocking STI parts by purchasing a special badge then thats cool for you,... but.... thats lame to other people. So in the end do what you want. We cant change your opinon and you cant change ours.

Archived