LegacyGT.com

GT-R Fanbois - Enjoy this Read

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think a driver really knows the limits of the car or his/her own driving skill when you have all these new electronic nannies as you put them doing the work for them. A cars ECU isnt smart enough to see what you are trying to do, it just assumes things like ooh no that tires is spinning we must put less power to it and more towards the others. It will cause to you have to loose control when in fact the tires are spinning but you have complete control of the car and then boom it governs what you are doin and put the power to a completely differnet area when you are in the middle of a controlled slide

ha, that is what happened to someone i knew trying to do a drift in a residential street in his 350z.

he left his tcs on and in the middle of the slide it took power away and he went straight into a telephone pole. what a tool, got what he deserved for trying to show off in a residential.

Guest JessterCPA
TCS in my G is a bit annoying. The AWD system especially makes it touchy, since it it monitoring all 4 wheels. If I have a slightly off-balance on ramp, under hard acceleration, the stance of the car gets interpretted at wheelslip. TCS comes barging in & makes it hard to accelerate into traffic. It's almost a bit too smart.

Which is why you should turn it off whenever you start the car, or just disable it. The TCS in the T/A wasnt too bad except in 1st gear, i could spin them hard shifting into second and it wouldnt do anything

Guest JessterCPA
Which is why you should turn it off whenever you start the car, or just disable it. The TCS in the T/A wasnt too bad except in 1st gear, i could spin them hard shifting into second and it wouldnt do anything

I only turn it off in a few cases where I know it's gonna trigger. My chice is to leave it on & let it do it's job. I'm getting more used to it. Coming from the non-TCS 2005 LGT, it's a change.

There is a pretty good article in R&T this month on different approaches to stability/yaw control. It took a look at 6 types from the GT-R to the Scion xB's system. Bottom line is that the traction control logic for some of these systems are very sophisticated. The ATTESA (AWD) system in the GT-R works with the VDC-R (stability control) system but even with the VDC turned off the ATTESA still does it's thing to split the torque front and rear. To a certain extent I appreciate the GT-R more as an engineering achievement than a car, so the fact that all the electronic gadgetry takes away from the driving experience doesn't bother me as much from that point of view.

I wouldnt, expecially in a RWD car, i have driven my T/A in slight snow once and my buddys 350z a couple times, and all it does is kill the car in 1st gear, you cant go anywhere because its a RWD stick car which at the time had sport tires and would spin no matter what with that much snow but because you spin it then kills your power and you go nowhere the car just bogs. Both cars drove better with the VDC off. It may help a little once your already moving but from a stop its horrible and you can easily control the tire spin easier once your moving so its useless

having driven FWD-all-season, RWD-all season and RWD snow-tired, 4WD-All-terrain, and Subaru AWD with snow tires, it isn't even close.

There isn't stability control in existence than can approach having 4-wheel traction, it even helps slow you down, if you can use engine-braking in a pinch.

If we are talking every-day cars, slog-through-the winter cars, then a whole new set of practical circumstances must be taken into account, that a sports car or muscle car is not designed to cope with regularly.

If I had to have one car to drive every day, rain or shine, snow, sleet, hell or high-water, AWD is where it's at. Even if it would be a Carrera 4S, or an Audi R8. (somehow GT-R's AWD seems more for dry traction management than inclement weather, plus i am not a big fan of GT-R's styling inside or out.)

If we are talking sports cars, that are pure performance machines, and don't have to make the practical trade-offs, then pure, light weight, compact, RWD sports cars are the best at it, Porsche Cayman being one of my current preferences for such a role. Boxer powered and mid-engined, and with a rigid hard-roof chassis. "It is so right, it don't get no righter!" It doesn't even need gobs of power to be a sublime drive, from every account I've read. I seriously hope to drive one someday soon.

Or perhaps a motorcycle, if so inclined.

(somehow GT-R's AWD seems more for dry traction management than inclement weather, plus i am not a big fan of GT-R's styling inside or out.)

GT-R was designed with snow driving in mind and has a snow mode. It can be had with specially designed Bridgestone snow tires.

How wide are those tires? Wider than a snow-board?

Maybe earlier GT-Rs could handle a bit of snow. The new one seems like a pig on ice-skates.

Heavy car + wide tires + 500hp + 98% rear/2% front torque bias = trouble in the snow.

I would venture a guess that even if the computer pushed the torque bias forward, it would still be more than a handful in the snow, with it's weight and power characteristics.

Guest JessterCPA

If the GT-R has any of the AWD traits my G has, it will be OK.

My snow mode locks the diff at 50/50, and numbs the throttle response down. Makes it much more controllable in the bad weather. The nose definately pulls you through and the throttle response is very easy to manipulate, due to the amount of travel the pedal needs to do anything.

Well... The GT-R was spec'd to be all year and all weather car and should at least have the capability of the 911 turbo.

I haven't heard of any problems with people driving the GT-R in the winter. There were a few Canadian journalists that drove the GT-R during the winter on its stock NA spec summer tires. They didn't seem to complain....

If the GT-R has any of the AWD traits my G has, it will be OK.

My snow mode locks the diff at 50/50, and numbs the throttle response down. Makes it much more controllable in the bad weather. The nose definately pulls you through and the throttle response is very easy to manipulate, due to the amount of travel the pedal needs to do anything.

Once again a car doing all the work for the driver, and yes i said slight snow because i wouldnt drive either car in alot of snow. The traction control would be even worse in lots of snow, like i said its a useless option except for new drivers who cant control there own car. Not saying thats you but a good driver can drive his or her own car in the snow better than a TCS or VDC system could.

Guest JessterCPA
Once again a car doing all the work for the driver, and yes i said slight snow because i wouldnt drive either car in alot of snow. The traction control would be even worse in lots of snow, like i said its a useless option except for new drivers who cant control there own car. Not saying thats you but a good driver can drive his or her own car in the snow better than a TCS or VDC system could.

My only response to this will be, please come to my area & see what we have to deal with in terms of bad weather.

My job does not afford me the option of just not going into work on a bad February morning. I must get into the office or client site. I can't just leave if it looks bad outside. This has rendered me in a bad situation in the past, sometimes not being able to get home.

I never got stuck in my Suby. I have not yet gotten stuck in my G. Much is attributable to the nice AWD systems each has. But as you also know, most road issues occur due to other drivers not being able to control their situations, so if a good TCS system decreases that risk, I'm all for it.

See what you have to deal with? LOL, i live in Wisconsin, we had an almost record setting winter with over 100inchs of snow this winter alone. My morning commute is 45min-1 hour on a good day and 2-3hours after bad storms. We had alot of 15inch+ storms, i know about snow lol and how to drive in it and everycar i have driven in snow that is RWD with traction control drove worse with it on than with it off, thats all im saying. And now we are having floods everywhere, we had 5inches of rain in under 2 hours the other day and then 6 more inches in the next 3 hours so in 5-6hours we had 11.7 inches of rain, its just the year of shit falling from the sky here in the midwest, i had to take a boat to get to my grandparents house lol, thats when you know its bad

Guest JessterCPA

^^ You gave the impression in your previous posts that you did not experience much snow.

I guess we will agree to disagree on this issue.

Archived