LegacyGT.com

GT-R Fanbois - Enjoy this Read

I wouldnt, expecially in a RWD car, i have driven my T/A in slight snow once and my buddys 350z a couple times, and all it does is kill the car in 1st gear, you cant go anywhere because its a RWD stick car which at the time had sport tires and would spin no matter what with that much snow but because you spin it then kills your power and you go nowhere the car just bogs. Both cars drove better with the VDC off. It may help a little once your already moving but from a stop its horrible and you can easily control the tire spin easier once your moving so its useless

Try starting off in 2nd gear ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I gotta think everybody here believes certain amount of computer control in a car is a good thing. Otherwise we will all be driving a 2.5L 4 banger with carburetors that makes about 100 hp. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes excess computer interference.

That doesnt make any sense, we never said that a car ECU is a bad thing, what we said is a car doin the driving for you celarly takes away from being a good driver. Like putting more power to a certain wheel at a certain time. Not that a ECU should control nothing, an ECU controlling a cars functions is fine but controlling how the car turns in certain situations or how much power is goin to the ground is too far. I want the amount of power goin to the ground to be judged off my foot pushing a pedal down not a ECU telling me its too slippery to throw down that much power.

an ECU controlling a cars functions is fine but controlling how the car turns in certain situations or how much power is goin to the ground is too far. I want the amount of power goin to the ground to be judged off my foot pushing a pedal down not a ECU telling me its too slippery to throw down that much power.

You do realize that your Legacy does exactly that right?

It's a mechanical system as oppose to an electrical one but it serves the same purpose. You know "from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"... :lol:

Anything that makes power = good. Anything that takes away power = bad. ;)

GT-R's ATTESA/VDC-R system in R-mode actually shifts the torque around as the first strategy and avoid using the brake or engine retardation. The end result is that about the same amount of power still makes it to the ground. Here is the R&T article I was talking about.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=36&article_id=6826&page_number=4

GT-R's ATTESA/VDC-R system actually doesn't take away power like most stability control systems. It shifts the torque around and doesn't use the brake or engine retardation. The end result is that the same amount of power still makes it to the ground.

Cool! I wasn't being specific to the GT-R, just bored at work and decided to chime in...

One reason I jumped on the '06 MY (besides the fact that my lebaron was literally falling apart) was the lack of VDC/SI-Drive, etc... The 5MT was even more appealing due to the VC rear & center LSD, and 50:50 torque split.

I am a mech. eng. and I feel most comfortable with strictly mechanical systems. :)

You do realize that your Legacy does exactly that right?

It's a mechanical system as oppose to an electrical one but it serves the same purpose. You know "from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"... :lol:

I know and i hate it, its soo dumb. I can stand it in my everyday baby transporter but in a sports car that comes with enough power to easily break the tires loose it would suck. I think you would defend any nissan and any system they create lol.

I know and i hate it, its soo dumb. I can stand it in my everyday baby transporter but in a sports car that comes with enough power to easily break the tires loose it would suck. I think you would defend any nissan and any system they create lol.

Why did you buy the LGT if one of it's biggest selling point is one thing you hate? It makes no sense.

I will defend and be a fan of any system/car that's a good bang for the buck, regardless of make.

Why did you buy the LGT if one of it's biggest selling point is one thing you hate? It makes no sense.

I will defend and be a fan of any system/car that's a good bang for the buck, regardless of make.

Your not listening, i bought my LGT to be a car i can drive through all weather with some sport like abilities. Imagine you power sliding a GT-R around a corner and your in perfect control then the car sends you a curve ball and puts the power to the front wheels becasue the rears are spinning alot more well you in the middle of a slide and all the sudden your front end is pulling 48% more than a second ago, most likely your goin to loose control of your controlled slide. What i said was i would never want a SPORTS car that chooses how much power is goin to what wheels and when. Thats something i believe the driver of that sports car should decide with the push of the pedal. I didnt buy my legacy to race it but that is the only reason i would buy a GT-R, very few people are gonna use this car as a DD, its goin to be mainly a second car. I just wouldnt buy a sports car that im not in control of all systems when racing. My supra has electronic suspension that would stiffen when braking hard, turning hard and accelerating hard and thats about as far as i would go with electronic controlled options for a sports car. I have been in the middle of sliding my legacy in the winter and the power swithchs and then i either have to get out of the slide or change what im doin when i was already sliding perfectly its annoying with only 300hp now with just over 500hp im sure its gonna be a bitch to control

Your not listening, i bought my LGT to be a car i can drive through all weather with some sport like abilities.

So having the ability to put power to the wheels that have traction is not such a bad thing after all. ;) It has its purpose and it's not a completely useless in a DD or even in a sports car.

Imagine you power sliding a GT-R around a corner and your in perfect control then the car sends you a curve ball and puts the power to the front wheels becasue the rears are spinning alot more well you in the middle of a slide and all the sudden your front end is pulling 48% more than a second ago, most likely your goin to loose control of your controlled slide.

You should read the R&T article that I linked.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=36&article_id=6826&page_number=1

A lot of the stability control system today are extremely sophisticated, especially the ones used in sports cars. For example the steering angle is taken into account when the system is determining what it needs to do. The system will not shift the power forward if it determines that you are intentionally power sliding. In fact some systems can even shift the torque left to right in addition to front and aft to help you maintain that power slide.

What i said was i would never want a SPORTS car that chooses how much power is goin to what wheels and when. Thats something i believe the driver of that sports car should decide with the push of the pedal. I didnt buy my legacy to race it but that is the only reason i would buy a GT-R, very few people are gonna use this car as a DD, its goin to be mainly a second car. I just wouldnt buy a sports car that im not in control of all systems when racing. My supra has electronic suspension that would stiffen when braking hard, turning hard and accelerating hard and thats about as far as i would go with electronic controlled options for a sports car.

I have been in the middle of sliding my legacy in the winter and the power swithchs and then i either have to get out of the slide or change what im doin when i was already sliding perfectly its annoying with only 300hp now with just over 500hp im sure its gonna be a bitch to control

The LGT's system is a mechanical one so it doesn't have the smarts of an electronic one like the GT-R. It's designed to keep you out of ditch and not to have fun. On the other hand, the virtually same system in the STI with the addition of DCCD would have allow you to maintain that slide if you so desired. The point of these systems is all about given the driver the flexibility to enjoy the best of the both worlds. With these systems you can execute a power slide without putting the car in the ditch, even though you are no Michael Shumacher. Does it make you a better driver, no it won't, but you can certainly turn it off to work on your skills if that's what you want. And turn it back on when you are in baby carrying duty as you put it.

So is there a way to turn it completely off like the vette? Because it say you can turn it off but some adjustments still continue. Its alot better system then i thought though. I would really like to drive one in all the modes to see what happens. I drove the new evo X( a friends) and i thought it was a pretty controlling system, not sure what mode i was in though. It seemed to control the car for you way more than my legacy which i didnt like.

Archived