LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is another shot of my DIY grille which I bought from member Rshaw a year or so ago. I since removed the mesh and repainted flat black once. needs to be done again. I drive close to 1000 miles a week in my Spec.B and 85% tri-state highways so it gets peppered pretty good, especially in the winter.

here I am parked at my apartment in NJ

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/b38ffe86.jpg

^^ 1,000 miles a week?:eek: and I thought my 500 miles a week was bad. I'm at almost 110,000 on my '08

I'm at 95,000 on my 06. I bought it used with 26k on it Junior year in college, then I sold cars locally. It wasn't till I got the Telecommunications sales job in NYC that I started racking up the higher miles

who here has used plastidip to paint their grills?

I used it on my old Audi grill. It is really durable stuff compared to regular spray paint. I am planning on using it on my GT grill when I get around to it.

I used it on my old Audi grill. It is really durable stuff compared to regular spray paint. I am planning on using it on my GT grill when I get around to it.

any special prep with it or just prep like you would normal spray paint? Thought I read it doesn't need primer?

yo lets get da cayenne.

naw **** dat. too much trouble. let's get dis jdm accord!

a lowered gold 90s accord parks on the other side of my car :lol::lol: :spin:

any special prep with it or just prep like you would normal spray paint? Thought I read it doesn't need primer?

All I did was sand the chrome to scuff it up so the paint would stick better. I sprayed about 4 coats WITHOUT primer and had no chipping!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, after some hard work with my trusty pocket knife, I managed to get all of the chrome off of the surrounding trim, it came off in nice thin strips and didnt do any damage to the plastic underneath. So i got it this far yesterday and will get to the sanding today at some point. I still havent decided whether i should remove the chrome from the wings as well. I kind of like the idea of 2 little chrome wings in there.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/adrenalinrush22/Photo_101509_001.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/adrenalinrush22/Photo_101509_002.jpg

I'm in the process of removing all the chrome right now. I'm so tired of repainting my grill every couple of months. I'm about half way through the removal. Then I will sand, prime, and add adhesive promoter before I paint. Hopefully, this will be the last time I have to paint it.

The wings seems to be completely surrounded by chrome making it harder to remove. I may end up adding the carbon fiber 3M material to those.

who here has used plastidip to paint their grills?

I used it on my wings. I only put a few coats on and it turned out really nice. I am super happy with it and glad I didnt end up spray painting it.

Archived