LegacyGT.com

APS Inlet Pipe and JDM TGV Deletes Install

praedet

No, I would think it is the other way around. The TGV cause restriction in the intake path and in turn causes back pressure on the turbo. Removing this restriction will cause the air to flow freely into the engine. So in turn there would need to be more boost pressure in the charge. Trust me there are/were no leaks. The boost reading up top(4800rpms) where the vf40 falls off was extactly the same.

I thought you meant the inlet. MAF still shouldn't be wrong unless you're losing fuel due to too far advanced AVCS, or your latencies are wrong.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
T - nice job mounting up the catch can system - looks really clean.What mfgr was the cans again and do you have any concern about emptying above/onto the turbo/UP/DP location or do you have a plan for that? SBT
AMW manufactures the catch cans. With the heat shield and a turbo blanket in place, the catch cans are getting warm, but still touchable ;)
Preadet, I don't know how to tell you this but your turbo inlet is RED :lol:

Looks good. I really like the double catch cans ;)

Yea, it is red, I wish it was black:spin:

Maybe now that I have done it before, I will rectify that situation in the future :lol:

As much as it would have been easier to do a single one, the size of the inlet and outlet on the catch cans is such that I would be hard pressed to think the air will have fun if all the air from the PCV and the breather will make it through in a happy state :p (Aero-engineer term)

:spin:

Maf was about 3.5% off, 11.1 target vs. 11.5 measured....

Not how accurate it was, but how much air did you flow before and after?

If your g/s went up 10 and your psi went down .5 psi that would be a good thing.

Not how accurate it was, but how much air did you flow before and after?

If your g/s went up 10 and your psi went down .5 psi that would be a good thing.

I am honestly not seeing no increase in spool right now, actually seems a bit slower. I have logged full boost by 2700rpms vs a best of 2500 before. It is definately less "punchy" down low, I am going to start messing with the AVCS in the sub 3200rpm region. The g/s is exactly the same up until about 4200 where I gain about 5 more. On a larger turbo I could see the real benefits being above 4K....

but it is also stupid hot for us right now.... how much of a difference does that make for your tune Shamar?

Big difference, pulling timing all over the place. I am going to have to rework my IAT compensation tables. I got out a little early today while it was still under 75 degrees.

I am honestly not seeing no increase in spool right now, actually seems a bit slower. I have logged full boost by 2700rpms vs a best of 2500 before. It is definately less "punchy" down low, I am going to start messing with the AVCS in the sub 3200rpm region. The g/s is exactly the same up until about 4200 where I gain about 5 more. On a larger turbo I could see the real benefits being above 4K....

None of this makes any sense. My car feels more powerful at lower rpm's without boost than ever. You simply shouldn't have to retune unless you've been pushed into load/maf ranges that were never tuned before.

None of this makes any sense. My car feels more powerful at lower rpm's without boost than ever. You simply shouldn't have to retune unless you've been pushed into load/maf ranges that were never tuned before.

May not make sense but it is fact :) I did change plugs(1 step colder), APS Inlet, TGV deletes and extended the intake down into the fender all at the same time so who knows. But I am having to basically start from scratch all over again. I did experimented with a bit of AVCS advance and it seemed to liven it up a bit down low. It really is too hot right now for anything, gonna get back to it later tonight.

By the way what do you have your AVCS set at in the spoolup region?

May not make sense but it is fact :) I did change plugs(1 step colder), APS Inlet, TGV deletes and extended the intake down into the fender all at the same time so who knows. But I am having to basically start from scratch all over again. I did experimented with a bit of AVCS advance and it seemed to liven it up a bit down low. It really is too hot right now for anything, gonna get back to it later tonight.

By the way what do you have your AVCS set at in the spoolup region?

That's it, just needed to fix the MAF scaling. Since load/etc is all derived from that, it is the problem. It's not anything else.

I did TGV deletes, 1 step colder plugs, DW740 injectors, and didn't need to change the MAF, except for where I was running out of fuel at 99% IDC and increasing the MAF did nothing, but I didn't know that since people were going above 100% apparently "just fine"

After further dialing in the butt dyno approves :). Honestly spoolup has not changed, midrange feels a bit stronger and load is up accross the board. Had to go in and drop a bit of timing, I still think topend is where it shines brightest. However can't really say what affect the deletes had from the inlet pipe.

That's it, just needed to fix the MAF scaling. Since load/etc is all derived from that, it is the problem. It's not anything else.

I did TGV deletes, 1 step colder plugs, DW740 injectors, and didn't need to change the MAF, except for where I was running out of fuel at 99% IDC and increasing the MAF did nothing, but I didn't know that since people were going above 100% apparently "just fine"

Quick question, are you saying you were running out of fuel on the DW740's?

If so do you have a fuel pump and what is your AFR target up top?

• 3 weeks later...
The sensors stay on the TGV's, all that is left in the engine bay are the connectors.

Which, on my car, I cut back under the wrap, ends tucked invisibly away. Never will be used again, no need for connectors to clutter things up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updating this, I know everyone is mainly concerned w/ power, but I will add more data to something I psted earlier in this thread...

Yesterday, running 80 mph from C-Springs to Denver (about 60 miles) I got 31 mpg...

This is a downhill run, but I have done it many times at the same speeds and traffic conditions. My best MPG was 27 mpg before the TGV deletes and APS Inlet. Yesterday w/ headwinds, it was 31mpg...

I like the TGV deletes ;)

On the way back I got about 28, instead of 24 normally as I go up about 800 ft...

:spin:

^ Hmmm, I need to justify this purchase. TGV deletes are ~$180. With a 4mpg increase from the normal 24mpg I average going to/from Chicago and gas at $4/gal, they'll pay for themselves in 7560 miles. :lol:
Kyle "BlackHole"

Archived