LegacyGT.com

APS Inlet Pipe and JDM TGV Deletes Install

praedet

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only run a single catch can. The APS routes the PCV and the valve cover vents to a single inlet on the inlet pipe, IIRC, and that's where my catch can bypasses the PCV vents and Valve Cover vents, filters it through the single catch can, then back into the inlet pipe.

I'll try to take a good look tomorrow to see if i can compare with your pics.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

iirc, the aps and perrin both have 3 nipples, so you could theoretically use the same principles, no?

i recall just teeing some lenghtened line from pcv valve/crank vent (which i really think 99% is actually the naked black plastic nipple, dead center in pic 2 above) into the hose running between the breather tube and valve cover.

then for the inlet:

you've got one line going in that will reduce from the short hose you have still on the breather in the pic above,

one that will go in from bcs,

and one from the evap.

-- last two go right in from front.

With this short tube on, I am pretty sure the right tube would feed to the PCV sensor and into the turbo inlet. What is the one on the left :confused:

That pipe is where the water hose from little filler tank goes.....

As for catch cans.... I gave up. I bought some nice stuff, all the hoses and fittings, and after facing the whole concept I put them in a box where they now sit. There are places to install them, I suppose, I just couldn't justify it all after I figured it out.

I will see if I can help.

All right, So I have everything pretty much figured out and ready to go back together except for a few questions...

Here is the stock intake. The nipple on top that has been cut was for the PCV, and the small one in the pic on the side is for the breather (I think) Rob - That's right

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/PCVbreatherandBPVConnectstoIntake.jpg

The APS inlet only has one place for these two connections, so my plan is to tee them together after the PCV sensor and send them into the pipe. Does that sound right?

Rob - That's right, they just need to go pre turbo and any fitting will do

Next, and this is the big question. One of these is part of the PCV, and I don't know what the other is. I think the one on the right is part of the PCV, but I am not 100% sure. Rob - they are both part of the PCV system, if at the fitting going in to the block IS the PCV valve

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/PCVandquestion1.jpg

With this short tube on, I am pretty sure the right tube would feed to the PCV sensor and into the turbo inlet. What is the one on the left :confused:Rob - I am not sure I can see what you ar talking about, but the left hose is par tof the PCV system. The PCV valve has 2 hoses on it - one goes to the turbo inlet and one goes to the intake manifold. The whole point of the PCV system is to draw vacuum from the crank-case into t he intake manifold - this is where the catch cans need to go if you want them to do anything

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/PCVandquestion2.jpg

Here is the breather tube. I am 95% sure the rubber tube on the bottom feeds directly into the turbo inlet. Is that right? I will be teeing this w/ the PCV line. Rob - that is the breather line, but I am not sure teeing it into the PCV hose will do anything, but he catch cans sure will be shiny :)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/Breatherhose.jpg

Lastly, here are the two connections on the back of the IM.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/TwoIMConnections1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/TwoIMConnections2.jpg

I am pretty sure this first tube goes on the brass nipple.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/Connection1toIM.jpg

And this 2nd tube goes to the plastic nipple. Here is a pic of the whole tube, and the termination at the other end... Rob - they are just vacuum connections, the large one goes to the brake booster so it is important ;)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/Connection2toIM.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Putting%20it%20back%20together/TerminatorofConnection2toIM.jpg

Now, part of what is also slowing me down right now is my dual catch-can set-up. I am actually having trouble finding room for mounting them. One can will have the rubber breather hose (connected to the metal in the pic further up) connected to the inlet and the outlet headed back to the turbo inlet hose. The other will have the PCV routed to the inlet and then the outlet goes to the PCV sensor, then to the turbo inlet hose. So with the APS inlet the termination of my catch can set-up will actually dump into the inlet pipe together. Sound correct? ;)Rob - as you know I would mount them i the garbage can ;) but what do that's just me. The whole point is to have the air from the crankcase come into the catch can and then the oil-free air goes to the intake mainfold. Good l uck and have fun :)

Sounds good guys, I figured out the fact that the one pipe was the water/coolant line about an hour after I posted this :lol:

I think I know where everything goes now, so now comes the assembly ;)

Oh yeah Rao, I made your comments easier to see too :D

:spin:

This must be the longest TGV install evar, and I thought I took a long time. I guess this car isn't going to be a daily driver?
Sorry it is taking so long :lol: Had I known I would loose parts, or that they would not be in stock anywhere, I would have purchased extras up front. More-over, this was an unplanned mod since I didn't know I needed the inlet till I took off the busted turbo.

Yes, it is a daily driver, or right now, a daily sitter ;)

Anyone know if these are the only codes I need to get rid of?

P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 1)

P2005 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 2)

P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 1)

P2007 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 2)

P2008 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open (Bank 1)

P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low (Bank 1)

P2011 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open (Bank 2)

P2012 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low (Bank 2)

P2016 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 1)

P2017 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Bank 1)

P2021 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 2)

P2022 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Bank 2)

Anyone know if these are the only codes I need to get rid of?

P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 1)

P2005 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 2)

P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 1)

P2007 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 2)

P2008 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open (Bank 1)

P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low (Bank 1)

P2011 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open (Bank 2)

P2012 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low (Bank 2)

P2016 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 1)

P2017 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Bank 1)

P2021 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 2)

P2022 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Bank 2)

You got em all :).

- T-bolt will not fit there. APS includes good worm-drive clamps

- Get an extra one or two ring seals...

the 'stepped" rubber seal at the tip of the injector where it goes into the manifold: 16608KA000 - $1.89

- New IM gaskets are not needed

- You might need some hose connectors not in the APS kit. I did, but that was w/ the Catch can install. W/o it, you will probably have everything you need, but might not hurt to atleast know where your nearest NAPA or the equivalent is...

I think that is everything w/ the APS inlet install/TGV delete...

Right now I am all back together waiting for 2 bolts from McMaster to finish the catch-can install...

What paint are you using to paint it black?

I haven't picked it up as of yet, I will after work today. Looking for a nice crinkle coat with a medium heat range.If I am not feeling lazy I will strip the red first, primer then apply and top off with a clear coat. I plan to do the same with my blingy FMIC piping as well.

I haven't picked it up as of yet, I will after work today. Looking for a nice crinkle coat with a medium heat range.If I am not feeling lazy I will strip the red first, primer then apply and top off with a clear coat. I plan to do the same with my blingy FMIC piping as well.

I don't want bling, I just don't want it too stand out!

Archived