LegacyGT.com

APS Inlet Pipe and JDM TGV Deletes Install

praedet

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want bling, I just don't want it too stand out!

Hey before you do your inlet, wanna hook up your boost gauge to stock inlet and measure vacuum under boost? It would be nice to have some concrete data before/after. Some well known tuners on nasioc are claiming they've seen up to -7psi with the 2.4" inlet. Huge difference for turbo efficiency!

Hey before you do your inlet, wanna hook up your boost gauge to stock inlet and measure vacuum under boost? It would be nice to have some concrete data before/after. Some well known tuners on nasioc are claiming they've seen up to -7psi with the 2.4" inlet. Huge difference for turbo efficiency!

Sure, I was already thinking about that.:)

and this is exactly why I decided that I did not even WANT to fool around with taking the car back to stock myself, so I'll be handing my keys to my tech and he'll be putting the car back to stock while we are in Mexico drinking Mai Thais and Margaritas. :lol: I won't have to pull my hair out and scream and swear about installing the restrictor pill the wrong way or why the TGV's aren't matching exactly, etc. Sure it'll cost me money, but this way, an actual SOA tech who does this for a living will be man handling the engine bay instead of me, having no idea how to make sense of the engine bay. It's been so long and I have boxes of hoses, clamps, parts, galore!
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Well, tuning has started, it is all back together...

Total install:

TGV Deletes

APS Turbo Inlet

2 Catch Cans

Prodrive EBCS

Re-install VF40 :(

My wife is glad I am done :lol:

Yeah now all you need to do is tune the prodrive :lol:.

From recent experience, with a bit of AVCS tweaking you can run the VF40 past it's surgeline with the stock BCS.

I don't doubt that...

The Prodrive is preparation for a larger turbo and WI. I thought I would learn to tune it on the VF40.

With it and no pill, WG pressure for a WI failsafe is WG pressure. No matter what ;)

:spin:

More in the category of shit no one told me:

If only it were that simple. The prodrive is it's own restrictor, which may or may not be too small for your turbo. It's a bit small for an avo380 with the avo actuator :( I'm getting tired of tuning boost, but if I were motivated I'd minimize the length of tube from the actuator to the prodrive.

More in the category of shit no one told me:

If only it were that simple. The prodrive is it's own restrictor, which may or may not be too small for your turbo. It's a bit small for an avo380 with the avo actuator :( I'm getting tired of tuning boost, but if I were motivated I'd minimize the length of tube from the actuator to the prodrive.

I was gonna mount my pro-drive as close the comp cover as possible to minimize that.

I wonder if that is a bad idea due to heat.:confused:

I was gonna mount my pro-drive as close the comp cover as possible to minimize that.

I wonder if that is a bad idea due to heat.:confused:

Yeah probably, which is why I'm leaving mine alone. There's at least 4-5 different design issues that cause problems with boost control with the avo380. I think I have it to some compromise of usability. But I welded for the first time! :lol:

Itsme and I got my inlet and deletes in yesterday. My botched paint job added like 3 hours to the install :lol: The manifold did not need to be completely removed just lifted. Deletes were seriously a breeze, however the APS inlet was a royal pain...:mad:

Right now I am all back together waiting for 2 bolts from McMaster to finish the catch-can install...

Looking forward to your pics of the catch can install (I presume you did two) one between the PCV and intake manifold (IM) and another one between the valve cover vents and the IM.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'll put some up tonight...

It is not as pretty as I wanted :lol:

I wrinkle coated the IM, and whether it just didn't like the sanded plastic, or the cold temps, 3 days after I painted some tools that were laying on it messed up the paint :(

Plus, the coolant filling is always messy for me as I am burping the system :lol:

BUT, for the sake of science, I will take pics...

is the turbo inlet worth the money/time/effort it on a turbo the size of a 20g or smaller?

if I go with the a 2.4 compressor inlet turbo opposed to a 3' one, would I be better off with the avo inlet because it is easier to install?

Pics...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/EngineBay1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/EngineBay2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/EngineBay3.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/CatchCans1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/CatchCans2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/CatchCans3.jpg

waiting for data... nasioc is useless... I bet it makes little to no difference. But I'm looking for spool anywhere I can find it.

It was a little hot today (90 degrees) but I am finding that I am needing to rescale boost almost entirely. After the install I found myself not getting anywhere near my targets. Once it cools down a bit I will have some hard data. Oh and the MAF is need of a bit of rescaling up top (above 4K rpms).

It was a little hot today (90 degrees) but I am finding that I am needing to rescale boost almost entirely. After the install I found myself not getting anywhere near my targets. Once it cools down a bit I will have some hard data. Oh and the MAF is need of a bit of rescaling up top (above 4K rpms).

This does not make any sense.

1. If inlet vacuum decreased you should need to turn down boost/wgdc

2. You probably just have/had an intake tract leak.

Pics...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/APS%20Inlet/Finished/CatchCans1.jpg

T - nice job mounting up the catch can system - looks really clean.What mfgr was the cans again and do you have any concern about emptying above/onto the turbo/UP/DP location or do you have a plan for that? SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

This does not make any sense.

1. If inlet vacuum decreased you should need to turn down boost/wgdc

2. You probably just have/had an intake tract leak.

No, I would think it is the other way around. The TGV cause restriction in the intake path and in turn causes back pressure on the turbo. Removing this restriction will cause the air to flow freely into the engine. So in turn there would need to be more boost pressure in the charge. Trust me there are/were no leaks. The boost reading up top(4800rpms) where the vf40 falls off was extactly the same.

No, I would think it is the other way around. The TGV cause restriction in the intake path and in turn causes back pressure on the turbo. Removing this restriction will cause the air to flow freely into the engine. So in turn there would need to be more boost pressure in the charge. Trust me there are/were no leaks. The boost reading up top(4800rpms) where the vf40 falls off was extactly the same.

I agree, the TGV deletes are after where the ECU measures MAP, so anything that frees things up there will result in more flow and less psi.

What did your MAF show?

I agree, the TGV deletes are after where the ECU measures MAP, so anything that frees things up there will result in more flow and less psi.

What did your MAF show?

Maf was about 3.5% off, 11.1 target vs. 11.5 measured....

Archived