LegacyGT.com

APS Inlet Pipe and JDM TGV Deletes Install

praedet

Here is my take.

One aspect of engine efficiency is the amount of work the engine has to do to INGEST the air.

The more restrictions, the more work is lost.

The TGVs will create more work for the engine to do while at partial throttle, but it is very minuscule.

I would imagine you freed up about 0.002 whp. So about .04 mpg improvement.;)

with your exstensive data logging, you should be able to supply some good data after you delete's are installed

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with your exstensive data logging, you should be able to supply some good data after you delete's are installed

I am very confident on some scientifically accurate whp data.

I don't do enough steady state highway driving to get any real accurate mpg increase data, although I don't think it is required.

I don't do enough steady state highway driving to get any real accurate mpg increase data, although I don't think it is required.

i think local driving would show the increase if any.

I can't believe this argument is still going, I'm pretty sure you can find some actual dyno's over at nasioc as I've seen a few. They help fuel atomization when cold, and that's it. The car is able to enter closed loop faster which means much better emissions. Cold start has the worst emissions of any time in the drive cycle since the cats are all cold. Personally I haven't had to enrich cold start mixtures at all, it already starts out in the 10's anyway, the problem is when the target AFR comes up to 14.7 and the ecu tries to enter closed loop, the O2 sensor isn't responding fast enough and not enough of the fuel is burning so idle oscillates a bit as actual AFR's end up in the high 15's.

They are in use at no other time. Yes I believe the only reason they are there is to cut down 15 seconds of open loop time at start-up. Cars in other countries with different emissions standards do not have them. JDM cars do not lack power or torque.

an increase in AFR comp required or IDC at cruise would show this.

After upgrading injectors, TGV's, and turbo I've only have a ~1 MPG loss in overall MPG. And that's with WOT several times a day and probably almost one full datalog run per day which is much more severe than before the upgrade, and WOT costs a whole lot more than it used too!

Let me first say I do alot of WOT driving and live about only 5-6 miles from my job. Sine it is so hot out today (105 degrees) I actually drove around the speed limit on the highway (no point to try and drive fast).

In a short 20 min freeway drive the trip meter reported 31.3 mpg and rising. The absolute most I seen before was about 27-28, so I guess the tgv's have contributed to the bulk of this. Changes were the addition of deletes, inlet and 1 step colder plugs. Of course the appropriate changes to the boost and timing as well however no fueling parameters were touched.

:iam:

could you guys circle the actual parts that are needed to install this pipe on the legacy?

reason is: I am going to purchase a used one on nasioc

http://www.airpowersystems.com/wrx/intake/complete1.jpg

These are the parts I used, I have yet to add a catch can so my crank case/valve covers are currently vented to the atmosphere. You really will have to get creative with the routing of the hoses due to the wrx/sti application missing one of the tubes on the inlet. The most important piece from the accessories I would say is the pipe for the PCV sensor.

complete1.jpg.c743e74f23e7d2b035f469bcf19da7cc.jpg

so...my install failed...me and my mech didnt' know what "clocking the turbo" was...could have gotten the turbo in...but didn't happen. can somebody post some photos - that have a 3" inlet for the turbo - of where the turbo joins the coupler as well as the the tgv. i'm not sure if i just need to take off the plenum to get it on properly...but it's tight in front of the turbo and an area of the tgv (not deletes) is in the way of the coupler - not a sensor in the way or anything... just space restrictions...

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the APS inlet too...but I am putting this aside because there is no instructions and no photographed-detailed-step-by-step procedure type of "write ups"...

I just installed Grimmspeeds TGV Deletes, spacers, Uppie with Tial EWG, IWG bracket, DB TD06H-18G PnP with 8cm2 housing, GM boost solenoid, walbro fuel pump, ngk plugs, ACT clutch and flywheel...I am holding off installing my deatchwerks 850cc fuel injectors (need to install after I break-in the clutch)...once broken in...I can then install it and have it tuned...the APS inlet is a pain...can anyone guide me!

I AM GOING CRAZY!

CRAZY KEN

...then I read, you don't have to use all of the parts supplied! Great...then which one do we use and how?

Thanks...just venting with frustration! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived