LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy gets Harmon Kardon

FameMax

Harmon makes the MyGig radio in all the new Chrysler's. They are failing at a disturbing rate. Hard drives crashing left and right, navi locking up all the time, a POS radio. Lets hope these are better.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To hell with legacy sti wagon. Would be nice (and would sell better than a sedan overall), but even a SpecB wagon would suffice.

Awww yes, a Spec B wagon would be a nice package. WTF is their problem?

A spec B wagon or an STi Legacy would would IMO drive more foot traffic through the showrooms. I just hope they don't screw up the styling with the wagon. The GT wagon is IMO the best looking wagon on the road.

Subaru will take their sweet time with bringing anything high performance like the LSTI to the US. The ratio of people wanting performance vs fuel efficiency is huge... people dont want a 300+ hp car that gets less than 20 miles to the gallon for their daily driver and the dealerships wont have them sit on the lot forever because they "think" people will buy them. I was at my local suby dealer this past weekend and they had less and less turbo outbacks and turbo legacys cuz they dont seem to be selling right now and production will begin to slow for the turbos and the production for the 6 cyl engines wil pick up. Its sad to think that its come to "boring" performance than "fun" performance....

Think of it this way, it could be worse.. we could be stuck with a Bose system ;)

I know it's cool to bash Bose, but I gotta say I really liked the 7-speaker Bose in my old Maxima. It was overpriced for what you got, but it was by no means a bad system (and IMO much much better than the current Legacy's!).

Try replacing a bose system.

You have to replace the WHOLE thing. At least on my wife's Miata Bose stereo system, the whole thing is 2-ohm, which is completely incompatible with aftermarket speakers or head unit, and the specialized amp is so hard to get to that some people swear that the unibody was welded up around it.

Bose can sound good, but usually they do odd things to get good sound, when others do normal things with high quality materials to get better sound.

I've never cared for BOSE, except for the Audi Symphony system, however that thing shorted out like it was its primary function. BOSE bashing is a result of running on their reputation for so long. I went into the BOSE outlet a few months ago and there wasn't anything I wanted, except for the noise cancelling headphones which are a great technology according to my dad.

It was interesting, my Dad got the Bose Acoustamass system in '91 for his first surround sound. This past year I went to our local dealer to get some Paradigms of my own and my dad says to our salesman, "well do you think I should get a pair too? Ive got the Bose"

And this guy who remembers everything says, "I know, I tried to talk you out of buying them in the first place."

I just think its funny what the Pros think about them.

My roomate's Legend has a Bose, and he won't replace it. Me, I don't care for that thing at all. The bass is like a submarine. Im much happier with my Alpine, and probably won't want anything else if I can help it.

*Conclusion of Bose bashing*

I think if Subaru offers a nice stereo for the final year of this gen. that is down right smart. Give people a reason to buy the last of the MY or sign another lease before the new model arrives, which will sell itself.

I was also dissapointed to see that the unit the STi is only putting out 80 watts. My stock pioneer in my '96 GT put out 80 watts.

sebberryThen what Subaru needs to do is offer the turbo only on the H6. Have a light pressure turbo H6 for their "normal" 6 cyl sedan/wagon and then a higher pressure model for their performance 6 cyl sedan/wagon.

The performance junkies get their fix, the NA people only have a light pressure turbo to contend with (barely notice it is there) and everyoen is happy.

Offer a 5MT/5EAT option on the high pressure version only, 5EAT on the low pressure one. Simple.

I agree with this.... i would love a turbo 6 ... give me 300hp+ on that and i would be happy

Then what Subaru needs to do is offer the turbo only on the H6. Have a light pressure turbo H6 for their "normal" 6 cyl sedan/wagon and then a higher pressure model for their performance 6 cyl sedan/wagon.

Actually - the H6 may be able to provide more power that way, but there are two reasons why this won't be a good idea; 1. The fuel consumption will be awkward. 2. The greater weight of the H6 (100+ kg) will destroy the good balance of the car that makes it so good on small roads.

But if you want to go dragracing - you are welcome to start building on the H6.

And when it comes to sound system - well, good speakers and things like that are nice, but considering that a car isn't really a good acoustic box itself there is no reason to go over the edge with the sound system unless you are doing a competition.

453747.png

HP and TQ are not suppose to change till 2010.

and then? bump up to 244hp? 245? drop to 190 but increase mileage by 0.7mpg?

remember, sti has gone from 300 to 293 to 304 over its lifetime. 247hp will do nothing for me, especially if curb weight tops 3600lbs (ooooh, but the radio now integrates with my swedish-made penis enlarger pump!)

It was interesting, my Dad got the Bose Acoustamass system in '91 for his first surround sound. This past year I went to our local dealer to get some Paradigms of my own and my dad says to our salesman, "well do you think I should get a pair too? Ive got the Bose"

And this guy who remembers everything says, "I know, I tried to talk you out of buying them in the first place."

I used to work at Best Buy in the audio department ten years ago and we were the #1 store in the region in Bose sales. Because of this, the seven employees in my department were entered in a drawing to win an Acoustimas 10 system. I won the AM-10 and sold it to a coworker for a little less than what we could have got it with our discount, which was around $600. I had already had 201's & 301's I had won for meeting sales goals, and I sold them to coworkers who thought they were awesome. Of course, compared to the other crap Best Buy was selling at the time, they sounded pretty good. I think they suck. Everyone was shocked I sold the AM-10 because "Bose is best" but I already upgraded to NHT speakers (which I still have ten years later) and the Bose speakers aren't even in the same league. The dealer did a side-by-side test with the AM-5 and everyone agrees Bose speakers are awful. Have you ever noticed they refuse to publish their frequency response? What are they hiding? It seems like people buy the Bose cubes because they're cute and look nice instead of for what they sound like.

We occasionally had customers that saw we sold Bose home speakers and asked why we don't sell their car speakers. They never seemed to understand that you can't buy them unless they come with the car. They're customized for the car and yes, they're nearly impossible to replace. I had a friend who had Bose in his 300ZX and wanted to replace it until he realized how difficult it was going to be. Thank God Subarus don't have Bose systems.

I got the subwoofer and with the SRS in my Legacy, and it sounds okay. I don't know if I'd get much improvement by upgrading the speakers. I can't tell what the quality is of the current speakers is. My Mustang had four paper cones with whizzer cones instead of tweeters. I replaced those with Boston Acoustics and put in a Pioneer Premier deck and it sounded pretty decent. Since the head unit in the Legacy can't easily be replaced (unless the H/K is an easy replacement, if indeed it will happen), would putting better speakers in be worthwhile with the relatively weak amplifier? The sound seems a little muddy to me and the treble could definitely use improvement.

Harmon makes the MyGig radio in all the new Chrysler's. They are failing at a disturbing rate. Hard drives crashing left and right, navi locking up all the time, a POS radio. Lets hope these are better.

I would suspect the problem with those would be that the hard drives are having 'head crashes' from hitting bumps and potholes. An expensive solid state hard wouldn't have these problems.

Archived