LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy gets Harmon Kardon

FameMax

I think Sebberry at the top of the page was talking about McIntosh head units being offered in US subaru models previously on the Outback.

Then he was relating it's relevance to not getting the 05-current version of the McIntosh head unit in the US, which we haven't. We want it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have been happy (well happier) if I could have ordered a OEM sub installed in the rear dash!

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

The Harmon Kardon stereo in the 09 Legacy is hardly an improvement over the 2008 model year. Considering that it comes standard on the SE and above, there is no reason to complain. But for having more than 400 watts and a brand name, its well below par in my opinion. A $150 dollar head unit and 2 sets of $50 speakers from Best Buy would sound much better. Spend another $200+ or so on a cheap amp and single sub combo and for $500 you would be leagues better than what the HK offers. HK needs to step up their game in the Legacy, being how great the car is otherwise. I’m sure customers would be willing to pay an extra $100 (which goes a long way in the mass produced electronics world) or so for a stereo that sounded better.

Truthfully, I have only ever heard one good factory stereo (though I’m sure many others exist) and that’s the Bose stereo in the 2005+ Nissan Altima. I by no means have ever liked or considered purchasing Bose products but this stereo is excellent. Sure-its missing higher decibel sub bass, but the bass is very strong overall and the system is exceptionally well balanced. The imaging is very good-perhaps partially due to the downward sloping (kinda ugly IMO) dash and it gets quite loud before you begin to notice breakup. I don’t even really like Nissans after a terrible experience with a mid 90s Maxima and would never buy one again unless I were leasing and even then I don’t really care for the frumpy rounded, wannabe sporty styling.

Altimas also have an excellent powertrain-smooth, quick and efficient. But again, long term reliability is questionable. So either Subaru needs to copy Nissans powertrain and make it more reliable or Nissan needs to hire a better designer-maybe the one who designed the 2005-2009 Legacy/Outback. The 2010's are fugly. Guess we can't have everything....yet.

Oh-and give us that Euro boxer diesel model....now! At least half of every dollar spent on foreign oil goes into the pockets of the wrong people.

Or even a hybrid...watch out for the new Ford Fusion. It has optional four wheel drive and you can get a $3500-$8000 rebate if you have an older trade-in (cash for clunkers+hybrid rebate).

FYI-I own a 2008 Legacy sedan but if I were buying this year I would have grabbed a Ford Fusion. And up until this year I have never liked any Ford product.

Allow me to correct you my friend...

Subaru NEVER offered McIntosh head unit in the US for Legacies or WRX/STi's, ONLY in Asia and some parts of Europe...

At one point, i believe it was back in 2001 they offered this as an additional option (and an expensive one) for the Outback H6 VDC, and also on the top of the line L.L.Bean edition...

Again, never on the Legacies....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Wish I could afford, and find one of those for my SVX. It would go very nicely in there. Supposedly, some of them had a clarion-compatible bus port, and can accept their iPod adapters.

There was a guy who had an earlier CD and Cassette version that he was selling... required an external matched amp, too.

A long line of history of Subaru in america offering less than the rest of the world. SVX didn't get some options that Japan did, either... like 4-wheel active steering.

just picked up my 09 last week and the front pass does the same thing...

I'll check it out when I tint

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

ha! just wait a while until you really turn things up - I already blew out my subwoofer in the back deck at +2 bass setting and 10 volume - not even loud enough to drive down the higway with the windows down!

So much for a "premium" sound system...........this thing SUCKS! HK or not!

• 4 weeks later...
ha! just wait a while until you really turn things up - I already blew out my subwoofer in the back deck at +2 bass setting and 10 volume - not even loud enough to drive down the higway with the windows down!

So much for a "premium" sound system...........this thing SUCKS! HK or not!

Mine handles +5 bass and 16 volume pretty handily.

Test drove a 3.6 Outback. The HK system is awful. What Bass? There wasnt much of a sense of "air" either

I think the Bose system in the 2010 Mazda3 and 2009 Mazda6 sound better. Mind you the 3 is an "Economy Car", but the bass is deeper, and Centerpoint gives music a much more open "feel"

And the left bass speaker rattled at moderate levels with. The interior quality and look is piss poor too

On the upside, the ride quality was good. I cant fault the 2010 Legacy and Outback in that regard.

Test drove a 3.6 Outback. The HK system is awful. What Bass? There wasnt much of a sense of "air" either

I think the Bose system in the 2010 Mazda3 and 2009 Mazda6 sound better. Mind you the 3 is an "Economy Car", but the bass is deeper, and Centerpoint gives music a much more open "feel"

And the left bass speaker rattled at moderate levels with. The interior quality and look is piss poor too

On the upside, the ride quality was good. I cant fault the 2010 Legacy and Outback in that regard.

The HK has plenty of bass... if you change the equalizer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you still need to use the cleansweep if you change-out the headunit and speakers for the HK system?

IMO the sound quality is decent, not great but better than earlier models.

If the HK already has a subwoofer, does it make sense to add the Subaru Factory under seat subwoofer/amp ?

Archived