LegacyGT.com

Official WISLOC Thread

zzztech13

Next event in Milwaukee is May 4th.

Not good man... I am going fishin at Dad's cabin for opening weekend and won't be making it to this event:mad:. I should also point out that this event is a "WI autocross event (SCCA?)", not a Milwaukee SCCA so this will not count towards your points with the MKE group.

I will be attending as many Milwaukee SCCA events as possible this season.

On another note, I'm going to be buying tires and I'm leaning towards the Azenis, anyone have a suggestion? JRFROE, where did you pick yours up and for how much?

Anyone know of a good track event? Most of my weekends are already full for the summer, but I wanted to make it out to a real course, anyone interested in a meet at one of these??? I'll see if I can find some good dates and post them up here in the next couple of days...

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good idea.

This Sunday up in Shawano WI the FVSCC is having a Auto-X meet that I attended last year. Check out this track!!

http://www.mmracing.biz/racetrac.jpg

The trach has some high speed straights and amazing altitude changes. Here's an on-board lap in a WRX: (the drop @ :53 is better than a rollercoaster)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YIAOTUEnI]YouTube - Shawano Autocross[/ame]

General Info:

General Competition Rules

Raceday info

9:00am Registration opens, tech opens, and course open for walking

10:00am Registration closes.

10:30am Drivers meeting - mandatory

11:00am First Car Out

$25 for club members, $35 for non-members

Must have DOT approved helmet, vehicles must pass safety inspection.

Classes: SCCA classification is used.

Location to USA Internation Raceway in Shawano WI:

W5901 County Road BE

Shawano, WI 54166

I might be goin to this!!!

Not good man... I am going fishin at Dad's cabin for opening weekend and won't be making it to this event:mad:. I should also point out that this event is a "WI autocross event (SCCA?)", not a Milwaukee SCCA so this will not count towards your points with the MKE group.

If that is a WI Autocrossers Inc. autox, and people are just looking to go for a good time, I highly recommend doing it. The WAI events usually have a slightly lower attendance than SCCA, and also tend to run smoother, which results in more runs for everyone. Typically, they get in at least 5 runs, and very often 6 runs per day, with fun runs at the end of the day for $1/run, as opposed to SCCA's 4 runs/day or so. It's also a less competetive atmosphere, in my experience. SCCA is fun too, but WAI is more so.

On another note, I'm going to be buying tires and I'm leaning towards the Azenis, anyone have a suggestion? JRFROE, where did you pick yours up and for how much?

Anyone know of a good track event? Most of my weekends are already full for the summer, but I wanted to make it out to a real course, anyone interested in a meet at one of these??? I'll see if I can find some good dates and post them up here in the next couple of days...

If you're looking for a performance tire that can also be run on the street, I highly recommend the Azenis. But if tire wear is a concern, if road noise is a concern, if picking up gravel and dirt and rocks and other small hard things is a concern, I would stay away. If you're looking for something very comparable, but just a little more comfortable, take a look at Hankook's R-S2's. Comparable grip with a slightly softer sidewall. If you're looking for more life out of them, I would start looking at BFG KD's (very good dry traction) or KDW's (best wet traction, good dry traction). But it's all a matter of opinion.

-Scott

I will be attending as many Milwaukee SCCA events as possible this season.

WAI events are completely independant of SCCA. Except for a few differences, you can't really tell the difference. Biggest difference for us, is we'll run in an All wheel drive class (A) instead of being grouped with the front-wheel drive class (F). So its less competition, but you will get more runs, and the fun runs are nice to have if you like to bring people for rides.

I'm very happy with the Azenis's. The tire wear thing is an issue, but if you plan to autocross any significant amount tire wear WILL be an issue. I'm thinking I'll get two summers out of each set of Azenis's. Just remember if you plan to do alot of autocrossing a tire like the Azenis will last longer than one that not made for it, like the RE092's, which will be shot after less than 10 events. Someone once explained it like this: you take 2 drivers on all-season tires... one is granny's car and she baby's them to get 70,000 miles out of them, while the other is an F1 driver on a high speed track where they'll last about 5 or 6 laps if that. Now switch the all-season tires for racing slicks. Granny babys them and maybe gets 2,000 or 3,000 miles out of them, while the F1 driver gets 100 - 150 laps out of them. Which tire wears less.... well it depends how you're driving them. You'll probably get 20,000 miles out of the Azenis's with autocrossing (rated for 40,000 with normal driving).

I got my tires at Big Bear Tire in Oconomowoc (www.bigbeartire.com) and I think the whole package was close to $600, including mounting and balancing. Something like $125-$130 per tire, and $60-$80 for mounting and balancing. I bought the 235/40-17 size, which is wider than the stock tires (215/45-17), but will still fit on the stock wheels. Big Bear does a good job, and I've gone back there to get my winter tires and alignment.

I can't believe I missed the Elver Park meet! I even live in Madison...

I'd like to see some more LGTs and go for a ride in one with power or suspension mods. I'm up for a meet somewhere or a drive in the country.

I probably won't do any parking lot autocrosses. They were fun until I tried a high-speed autocross at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, with Midwestern Council / Madison Sports Car Club. Similar to a parking lot event format, but serious speed on a real track. I probably won't take this new car to the track right away though.

http://www.mcscc.org/

http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com/

Edited by mad99

You all missed out on a fun time at Miller Park yesterday. I wasn't able to make saturday's tri-state event at Miller Park... Was anyone else there for that?

I did fairly well, with a best time of 63.070 (also had 62.492, but I hit a cone that run) which was good for 2nd out of 8 in the All Wheel Drive Street Tire Class. http://www.waiautox.org/2008/wai%202008%20event%201_fin.htm

Anyway here are a few pictures from sunday (again courtesy of Andy Seipos):

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn252/jrfroe/DSC_2000.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn252/jrfroe/DSC_2027.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn252/jrfroe/DSC_2028.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn252/jrfroe/DSC_2029.jpg

Edited by jrfroe

I like the cop in the background in the first photo. You know that state park sticker is a few years old. LOL

:lol:... he's there alot during these events, because every once in a while you'll have some yahoo that drag races down that road outside the parking lot.

:lol:... Good eye on the sticker... those buggers are impossible to get off... I've been meaning to get the razor blade out.

Didn't know I had a fog light out either... I think I've had those fog lights on for about 35,000 miles straight, so its probably about due. Usually I'll turn off the lights and A/C for autocrossing to reduce the drag from the alternater, but I forgot about it until the 4th or 5th run.

I just went and bought my state park sticker today. I had to take my car out on the country roads and see what it could do. It is defiantly better than my NA Legacy that I had before. :wub:

Is there anybody in Central Wis area that have gone stage 2 or anything. I'd like to check out a modded car, since mine is all stock.

I just wanted to say thanks to AKLGT to making this a sticky thread.

I'm gonna try to talk to the admins about splitting up the "North Central" threads a little bit. North Central is quite big and has the most states. I'm just not sure we need to know about the states in the far outlying areas.

Do yall think that's a bad idea?

They could pretty much split the "North Central" forum into this:

Great Lakes - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin

Midwest - Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

Kentucky would then be moved to the South-East which might want to be split up also.

• 2 weeks later...