LegacyGT.com

How much money did you really put into your legacy?

I really don't wanna write this...

New grille(which was gay)-150

New Rims and tires-1200 (after i smashed the stock ones drivin on ecstasy)

New Rims and tires-1200 (same thing happened two nights after with the first set)

New grille-150

To fix the front end -550

new rotors-dont remember

...actually aint that bad...but having my habits of driving bad got me there.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to know what's depressing? I can't remember if I posted what I have put into my car and I'm too lazy to go check. However, know that I spent several thousand so far and that was mostly 2 years ago. Now for the sad part; 2 years later and the most expensive parts still sit in my garage. :spin: It has been one delay after another. :(

• 4 years later...

Funny, I've never seen this thread before.

I bought my 05 GT wagon new late June 2004, paid 28,000 for it. Since then I've put more then that back into it. So I'll bet I'm into this thing for more than $60,000.

Love driving the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The other morning I was bored so I started to gather all my receipts over the past 2 years that I have spent on aftermarket legacy parts. You kinda have a idea in your head about how much you are spending, but you never get the full effect until you add them all up on paper:iam:. So the question is how much have you invested into your ride and does the wife really know :lol:

Engine

* Greddy Header - 360.00

* Autospeed Uppipe - 149.00

* Crucial Racing Uppipe - 125.00

* Autospeed TBE - 998.00

* AEM Cold Air Intake - 220.00

* Perrin Big Maf Intake - 205.00

* Cobb AccessPort - 700.00

* Cobb Heatshield - 50.00

* Unorthodox Pulley System - 256.00

* FP Green Turbo - 1100.00

* Turbo Port/Polish/Coat Service - 300.00

* DeatschWerks 740cc Injectors - 400.00

* WBR FMIC - 1,129.00

* AVO Fuel Pump - 300.00

* Avo Turbo Inlet Tube - 300.00

* APS dual vent BOV for Evo - 265.00

* Perrin Boost Controller Solenoid - 90.00

* Gaskets - 90.00

Brake

* SS Brake Lines - 110.00

* Hawk Brake Pads - 165.00

* ATE Brake Fluid - 30.00

Suspension

* Progress Springs - 175.00

* Kyowa KR206 19in Rims - 845.00

* UHP Exclaim Tires - 460.00

Interior

* Kuda Mount - 70.00

* Prosport EGT Gauge - 40.00

* Prosport Boost Gauge - 55.00

* MOMO Shift Knob - 55.00

* Kartboy STS Kit - 170.00

Exterior

* Smoked Lights - 80.00

* JDM Eyelines- 147.00

* Debadged - Free

* Custom Grill - 100.00

GRAND TOTAL = $9539.00 :spin:

Happiness is priceless.

I bought my OBXT with 189,000 miles on it in December of 2014 for $4,900

Twelve thousand miles later...

Longblock, turbo... $5250

AccessPORT, downpipe, uppipe, EBCS, groupN mounts everywhere... $2,000+

Legacy GT brake swap, DBA 4000 rotors, hawk pads, fluid... $650

Other maintenance items(coil packs, injector cleaning, hoses, plugs)... easily $2,000

Id say I'm close to $13,000 at this point. I have at least another $6,000 planned in suspension, TMIC, intake, wheel/tire package, and bushings everywhere. Yes it has a 5EAT, yes I like my 5EAT every day after my 32 mile commute in stop and go city traffic.

I regret nothing :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Do to age, mileage, deer, NYS rust & road debris. The LGT goes in for total Repaint ($3500) Sept. 21.

Deer; DS head light assy., grill,DS front fender DS rear quarter panel.

NYS rust; DS front door & Rear deck.

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I paid 9500 for mine. Financed, so we're at 12500 after interest, licensing fees, and taxes.

Purchase price: 12500

Timing belt/valve cover gaskets/misc repairs: 2100

Compression test: 200

Motor rebuild: 2899

New wheels: 700

Exhaust: 700

Venair hose kit, KillerB pickup/baffle, Nameless LWCP: 600

New front seats: 400

Tablet/Btssm/Tactrix: 370

LED lighting upgrade: 100

New foglights: 12

Window visors: 45

Trailer hitch: 125

JDM tail lights: 285

New TMIC+BP kit: 130

Turbo inlet: 120

Lots of oil in only 3k miles: 90

Red Line Tranny/Diff fluid: 75

Total money wasted FML: $21451

I've owned it for 8 months and have put 3400 miles on it.

Could've had a 2015 Focus ST for this amount. I still owe 8600 on the car and haven't paid for the rebuild yet, so I've *only* paid 9952 so far. That'll change soon enough.

I hate this thread

I've spent enough to make me personally consider my 05 Legacy GT to be single worst purchase of my life. I'm 41 and have put more money into repairs in 2 years of ownership than every single repair combined on every other vehicle (10) I've owned since I was 16.

Honestly I'm lucky I didn't end up buying a short block. It was -11F when my turbo died so I drove it 20 miles to a dealer instead of waiting/freezing 8+ hours for a tow due to a winter storm towing backlog. Somehow I managed to not grenade the short block and have run over 40k miles since the turbo failure.

Additionally I have done all the repairs myself except for the turbo so I could easily be out a few more grand in labor if I wasn't handy.

Car $9k (total with tax, tags, etc)

Turbo replacement by dealer (too far from home to fix it myself) $2k

Repairs due to my failed crank pulley trying to destroy all that is holy+better replace it while you are in there parts.....

Perrin crank pulley $120

New belt $20

Used A/C Compressor (used from site member) $65

Timing Belt Cover $30

Timing Belt Kit $240

OEM Thermostat+gasket $25

Coolant crossover pipe $27

Repairs due to clutch failure

06 WRX ACT Streetlite Flywheel $260

Exedy clutch and pressure plate $294

TSK3 Kit $175

Misc repairs

Valve cover gaskets (leaking) $40

Struts (All 4 bad) $250

Axle (cracked boot throwing grease on exhaust) $65

Redline shockproof/Motol 300 (bandaid for bad 4th gear syncro) $65

Grimmspeed uppipe (cat was plugged causing massive power loss) $235

Grimmspeed gasket set $100

Rear Wheel Bearing $50

So I've put $4061 in repairs into a $9000 car that I still owe $5k on. After the aforementioned $4k in repairs I still have a 180k mile ticking time bomb I won't drive further than 30 min from home that still has a cracked window from the stupid wiper defroster, a rusty dog leg, bad suspension bushings, and a broken windshield wiper mechanism that needs fixed.

And like I said.....honestly I'm still "lucky". By all rights I should of needed a shortblock and if I had not done all the other work myself I could easily be pushing $9k in repairs if you add a short block plus all the labor on everything else.

My only hope is now that I really don't drive it, it'll hold up long enough for me to pay it off and ship it down the road.

I bought this car based off my 02 WRX going 170k miles with the only non routine maintenance out of warranty parts replaced being rear struts and the A/C belt tensioner pulley. I just can't see myself in another Subaru.

Every morning I wake up and it's still in my yard I die a little inside......

Edited by jwag74

I've spent enough to make me personally consider my 05 Legacy GT to be single worst purchase of my life. I'm 41 and have put more money into repairs in 2 years of ownership than every single repair combined on every other vehicle (10) I've owned since I was 16.

Honestly I'm lucky I didn't end up buying a short block. It was -11F when my turbo died so I drove it 20 miles to a dealer instead of waiting/freezing 8+ hours for a tow due to a winter storm towing backlog. Somehow I managed to not grenade the short block and have run over 40k miles since the turbo failure.

Additionally I have done all the repairs myself except for the turbo so I could easily be out a few more grand in labor if I wasn't handy.

Car $9k (total with tax, tags, etc)

Turbo replacement by dealer (too far from home to fix it myself) $2k

Repairs due to my failed crank pulley trying to destroy all that is holy+better replace it while you are in there parts.....

Perrin crank pulley $120

New belt $20

Used A/C Compressor (used from site member) $65

Timing Belt Cover $30

Timing Belt Kit $240

OEM Thermostat+gasket $25

Coolant crossover pipe $27

Repairs due to clutch failure

06 WRX ACT Streetlite Flywheel $260

Exedy clutch and pressure plate $294

TSK3 Kit $175

Misc repairs

Valve cover gaskets (leaking) $40

Struts (All 4 bad) $250

Axle (cracked boot throwing grease on exhaust) $65

Redline shockproof/Motol 300 (bandaid for bad 4th gear syncro) $65

Grimmspeed uppipe (cat was plugged causing massive power loss) $235

Grimmspeed gasket set $100

Rear Wheel Bearing $50

So I've put $4061 in repairs into a $9000 car that I still owe $5k on. After the aforementioned $4k in repairs I still have a 180k mile ticking time bomb I won't drive further than 30 min from home that still has a cracked window from the stupid wiper defroster, a rusty dog leg, bad suspension bushings, and a broken windshield wiper mechanism that needs fixed.

And like I said.....honestly I'm still "lucky". By all rights I should of needed a shortblock and if I had not done all the other work myself I could easily be pushing $9k in repairs if you add a short block plus all the labor on everything else.

My only hope is now that I really don't drive it, it'll hold up long enough for me to pay it off and ship it down the road.

I bought this car based off my 02 WRX going 170k miles with the only non routine maintenance out of warranty parts replaced being rear struts and the A/C belt tensioner pulley. I just can't see myself in another Subaru.

Every morning I wake up and it's still in my yard I die a little inside......

Time for hopefully a better and more reliable car. 5th gens are pretty good so far from the experience i've had with my two that I have owned and my current one.

8500 for car including interest

200 for front bearings

600 for clutch

200 for front axles

Maybe 100 for random things.

150 for detailing products (300 split between two vehicles)

9750 as it sits, not including oil changes and a set of tires.

On the bench, I've got about 1500 in parts for upcoming engine rebuild. Still another 6k to go on that front.

After that, few thousand for suspension/wheels/brakes.

Then interior.

Then probably a 6sp swap instead of rebuilding the current driveline.

Shouldn't be more than 30k. But then again, the car was 30k to begin with, so I feel less bad about shelling that much out over several years.

Hard to say how much I've put into mine since purchasing it in late '05 with 7k mi. On it for $21,700. The price was so great and the power output was so drastic compared to my '98 GT wagon that I told myself I couldn't possibly need to ever modify the car. Well we all know how that story goes... 10 years later it's now at 80K mi. And with the new forged Rallispec block and recent swap out to a StopTech trophy kit, I'd say I've probably put $25k+ into the car over the years. But it's been worth it :)

I bought mine new in October of 2004 and I paid about $27000 for it. Since then, it really hasn't mattered because no matter how much you put into it or don't put into it, there is nothing on the road then and nothing on the road now that can give you what this car can give you.

It's definitely a love/hate relationship because everyone here KNOWS that no matter what, they'll spend the money on it anyway. You'll hate the fact that you spent the money and love the fact of how it looks or how it handles or how it accelerates or how it shines or how it boosts or how it goes through the snow or how it gets a lot of looks from everyone or how it can be such a pain in the ass when it needs stuff or how you can still outshine an STi with the punk behind the wheel because you are an adult or how your insurance is starting to go down because the car is now 10+ years old or how...................do I need to continue?

Love it, hate it, but know it's the best bang for the buck, bar none. Don't believe me? Just go and drive a lot of other cars-You'll be back. :);):lol:

After replacing a short block, rebuilding heads, replacing turbo, a couple tunes, and supporting miscellaneous parts; I think in the neghborhood of 11k.

Oh and the original price of car was 10,500. So all in, at least 22k.

Edited by 05legacygtr
original price if car

I keep an OCD spreadsheet with all the particulars, but it comes out a total of about $27k (12 for the car w/ 130k on it, 5 on maintenance, and 10 on mods) in the two and a half years I've owned the car, not including insurance or gas.

Great investment, IMO. Comfort, practicality, decent style and gas mileage, and the performance of cars that cost $50k more. Could probably sell it for more than I paid initially, too :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 2 weeks later...
+1

KRB and I agree that "Happy Wife, Happy Life" is a motto to live by.

My wife believes that other members on the board here donate their used goods to me for free!

Speaking of which, its your turn to send me some free goods

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

This is why I'm afraid to even begin modding...

When my parents ask me where all the money is that I've been saving for college I'll just show them my car.. Boy will I be the disappointing child again..

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

^set your goals, realistic budget, and go from there. Make sure all necessary maintenance is take care of first. Step by step and little by little. The groupbuys msprank got me started on my car lol...then grimmspeed, etc etc

Its not the best hobby but sure isnt crack...

Spend a little, save a little ;-)

Sent from outer space

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Heres my list...maybe missing a mod or 2? Lazy to add it up...

Ps ive replaced axles, did diff and trans fluids x2, soon to do timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, etc service this week DIY most likely

APM tuned transmission plates/blast plates

Osram lowbeams/ fogs

Tinted corner overlays as well

Sent from outer space

uploadfromtaptalk1442381863768.thumb.png.9526c74e2d7c06af76ac4ae72c2c1afb.png

uploadfromtaptalk1442381880730.thumb.png.01299272410684b7aba7a8d3483b4abf.png

Edited by tocinoman25
Update

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano