LegacyGT.com

How much money did you really put into your legacy?

Ah, another self deprecating thread. My favorite!

Current total as of today is $36,407.16 and we haven't touched the paint or bodywork yet. I'm sure I'll be well on my way to $50k by the time that's all sorted.

I can provide detailed receipts if anyone is interested :lol:

4-18-20.PNG.a38500df64ed92c4241a76335b1602ff.PNG

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some of the long time members know, I'm well into paying for my 05 wagon for the third time. Started out by paying $27590.00 (on the window sticker) June 28 2004.

Looking for that window sticker I also found the stickers from the 2000 and 1998 GT wagons. 98 was $24,252. the 00 was $24,971.

291,000 miles later the 05 is still running, though not much on the car has that mileage, as you all know these cars put a smile on your face every time you press on the pedal. Getting ready to replace the steering rack again. It's been 7 years since the last time. Have Energy Suspension rack bushing kit, and new motor mounts going in too.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just track mine now....I have to see how much I put in but I’m sure I’m somewhere around 60k’ish.....that said I’m the only dude running with A/C and still getting it..:lol: Edited by 700watts

I’m around $30k aftermarket.

6spd, flex fuel, stage3, FMIC, whiteline catalog, rce t1, Spec b interior, enkei, kB headers, carbon fiber bits.

Only thing I really want to add is spec b aluminum bits. 365hp/415tq is more than enough to get in trouble. The car has endless grip on 245/40 z2ss. I just wish it didnt rattle like a mid-90s Kia.

Edited by Code
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

10k for car w/ 100k miles in 2011 with new shortblock.

4K 6 speed swap

2k Brembos

1k black interior swap

2k sti gauge pack/double din/stereo/amp/sub

1k vf52

1k tmic/dp/tune

2k two sets of sti wheels

1k JDM headlights/taillights/spats/lip

1k bearings/bushings/etc

1k suspension

25k all in for almost 9 years and 80,000 miles of driving. Really, not too bad, feel like I’ve gotten off pretty easy compared to others.

Really didn’t want to know how much I’ve spent on the Legacy since I bought it in ‘06 but my file folder was getting out of hand and I needed to organize and put all of them in a binder. No breakdown between parts and labor but I’m at $36,620 not counting consumables like tires, brakes, oil. I can think of a few thousand that I don’t have receipts for so let’s call it $40k :). I can say it would be considerably less if I had done much of the work myself.

This doesn’t reflect the purchase price as well, that was $21,700 from Nate Wade Subaru. My car was a dealer demo with a few thousand miles on it. It was owned by Subaru corporate so at the end of the model year the dealership was forced to sell it and set the price as directed by Subaru.

Edited by shralp

In for a penny, in for a pound. Probably ~$20k invested in aftermarket parts + major maintenance/repair items (new starter, alternator, radiator). Several sets of wheels/tires, Brembos, HR/Konis (replaced Konis at one point), Perrin sways + WL endlinks, every WL bushing/mounts, aluminum LCAs, GS bits (TMIC, CAI, LWCP, EBCS, heat shield), PTP turbo blanket, Forge BPV/GFB Respons BOV, Tomei ELH/UP, SPTv2 CBE, Cobb DP, JmP VF52, ID1000, DW65c, Cobb AP v3 + 3-4 protunes (EFI/Prime), and a bunch of aesthetic mods (paint-matched and not). Sure I'm missing a bunch, but that's my top-of-mind recall.

I just track mine now....I have to see how much I put in but I’m sure I’m somewhere around 60k’ish.....that said I’m the only dude running with A/C and still getting it..:lol:

turns out you can still get the condeser which fails. Then the system can be recharged. Mine's working great after years of lukewarm air

i used to think maintenance items didn't count against car cost until I started going to the track. When you replace things 3x faster than the general population, its hard to call it maintenance anymore.

I'm pretty sure in the grand scheme of things, maintenance items count no matter what the interval; but anything to make you feel better :lol:

I agree tires and oil and may be brake pads and rotors are normal cost with any car.

Repairs and upgrades should be the focus here.

Back in Nov I spent $855, a few weeks back $615 just chasing the intermittent shimmy. The steering rack & motor mounts will be done in the next couple days.

Lets ask this, who else has a spare tranny sitting around just in case ? Have a starter too. Used up the ball joint and front hub.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yes I imagine you do have spares on top of spares. Like a few of the others with race cars.

My son and I still have lots of tools, etc. left from our race car days.

Edited by Max Capacity

I was really scared to add mine up till I saw some of the 30k totals in this thread!! Now I don't feel so bad at all! I think Im setting around 11K

3000 - 2005 LGT wagon 5mt ( engine pulled in boxes )

4500 - engine build and misc. parts

500 - Leather interior

1500 - JDM Radio kit, Kenwood radio, sub amp, focal speakers.

150 - catless perrin up pipe

300 - cobb down pipe

400 - accessport

200 - Cobb intake

60 - cobb sts

200 - JDM grill

300 - E-tune

11,110 - total

Thats not counting stuff I had or stuff that came with the car in boxes, It was a good buy with tons of poly bushings replaced, stop tech rotors and pads, tein s lowering springs, TGV deletes, new struts, stage 1 clutch, muffler deletes, JDM tail lights, HIDS and LEDS, brand new turbo...... bunch more. When the engine was going together it had a few things that Im sure I have receipts at home if I go look it all back up, but that's close.

Definitely adds up over time, the longer you keep the car. My breakdown is about $2800 per year spent on a whole lotta fun. When I look like it that way it lessens the pain :) The huge spends over the years were obviously the built 6 speed tranny ($3900), Rallispec built short block ($3600) and the associated labor costs related to those two things which includes a full race rebuild on the heads. Edited by shralp

I look at it as a paid for, fun daily car that I can haul my kids in! I know it’s not gonna stop. I wanna do a 6 speed swap so bad I can’t stand it. I still have to get my down pipe on and retune.... I want to do a vf52, injectors and retune in the future, fuel pump is already ordered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk