LegacyGT.com

Edmunds info on 2010 Legacy

Viber

Edmunds talks 2010 LGT. Hopefully there will be a concept render on the Exiga unvieling...The engine specs sound solid

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126468

TOKYO — Mid-2009 signals the 20th anniversary of the Subaru Legacy. So what better time to unveil the next-generation model? Slated for a June 2009 launch, the fifth-generation Legacy will take its predecessor's exterior and add a larger grille, sharper up-slanting headlights, flared fenders and stronger edges all round.

As one insider says, "It'll employ significant cosmetic modifications, but you'll still be able to tell that it's a Legacy. But this time, opinions on its exterior looks will no doubt be divided."

Expected to sit on an almost identically sized platform as the current model, the new lineup will include the Legacy and Outback.

The future Legacy will be powered by newly developed 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engines, with one source saying that the six-cylinder 3.0-liter will be axed in lieu of improved emissions and fuel efficiency.

Our source also indicates that the construction of Subaru's recently launched boxer diesel engine (in Europe) has influenced company engineers to employ similar techniques in maximizing the new gas engine's design by incorporating an alloy cylinder block, which features a significantly reduced block length and longer stroke action. Such construction also allows for weight reduction and the ability to lower the engine's center of gravity even further.

The 2.0-liter naturally aspirated unit is expected to generate 200 horsepower while the 2.5-liter turbo model will produce over 300 hp. In order to reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency, two notoriously weak areas for Subaru, engineers are working on a continuously variable transmission in addition to the standard five-speed automatic.

With the 3.0-liter model discarded, we have it on good authority that Subaru is seriously considering adding a hot Legacy STI to the mix further down the road — a sedan destined to get a turbocharged version of the company's current 3.7-liter engine that will reportedly pump out upwards of 430 hp.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd

"With the 3.0-liter model discarded, we have it on good authority that Subaru is seriously considering adding a hot Legacy STI to the mix further down the road — a sedan destined to get a turbocharged version of the company's current 3.7-liter engine that will reportedly pump out upwards of 430 hp."

If true, daddy likey!

Guest heightsgtltd

You left out this interesting tidbit:

"Even Subaru admits that its next Legacy will offer polarizing style."

That's a little concerning, as you could say the same about the current Impreza which is a truly awful design

Guest heightsgtltd

The only thing that I see as problematic about offering a 400+ HP legacy STI is that you need to build up to something like that. People arent going to be running out the door to buy a 46K Legacy.

Hopefully the 2.5 GT will offer about 320, the general public will get used to SOA offering more powerful legacies, and then the turbo'd H6

With the 3.0-liter model discarded, we have it on good authority that Subaru is seriously considering adding a hot Legacy STI to the mix further down the road — a sedan destined to get a turbocharged version of the company's current 3.7-liter engine that will reportedly pump out upwards of 430 hp.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

anyone who posts three consecutive comments is the epitome of post-whore. why don't you just post each word or even each letter of each word separately next time?

Guest heightsgtltd
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

anyone who posts three consecutive comments is the epitome of post-whore. why don't you just post each word or even each letter of each word separately next time?

:lol: you are so lame.

Let me know when you want me to expose who your AE is standing for :lol:

Oh, and please school us in your infinite wisdom about forum etiquette :rolleyes:

Guest heightsgtltd
I appreciate your concern heights, but my parents take care of all that.

:lol::lol: OH yeah I forgot.. then please tell them that they would be better served throwing $20 bills into a bonfire :lol:

Guest heightsgtltd
Laugh it up, leases should be for about 2 years, maybe 3 at the most. Longer than that and let's just say you have enjoyed a date without lubrication ;)

They will discontinue the 3.0 liter for emissions, but thy didn't say they would discontinue the 3.7 liter.

Because they don't have a 3.7L to discontinue :lol: And I was under the impression that the 3.6 couldn't be made any larger.

And a 2.0L making 200 HP? Please tell me that Subaru direct injected this thing and not Vteched the crap out of it to make it a torqueless, gutless wonder, though I feel that they would still have to be part of the equation for a N/A unit to put out this much power.

In order to reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency, two notoriously weak areas for Subaru

More PZEV units out now and Subarus had great fuel efficiency numbers until the EPA tests changed a year ago, so I wouldn't say that classifies as notorious.

Ridiculous amounts of power, fuel efficiency jumps, contradictions Im not sure if I buy any of this at all.

Polarizing styling huh.. its apparently what makes a subaru a subaru :)

I'd laugh if it were a combination of Tribeca, Impreza, and Forester. :lol: Except the must be do something right, because they sell. Is it that people like ugly cars? I mean, the Ford Taurus was popular for a long time.

Archived