LegacyGT.com

~~~Plug and Play HID Install Walkthrough~~~

I'd say the main reason to use the harness is on startup. If I leave my lights on when I turn off the car, when I get back in they turn on automatically...well...one does anyway. IIRC, using the harness will prevent this. If I turn the lights off and back on manually, they both come on.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is best to seperate the lights onto a harness rather then using the stock wiring due to fluxuations in voltage being regulated through the stock wiring.

There is a ton of ways to mount ballast aswell and sticky tape isn't one of them. The heat cycles of the engine bay will cause the sticky tape to break down and the weight of the ballast will eventually take head of gravity and it will come off. Get yourself some industrial zip-ties and use those to help or you can go like I did and use custom brackets.

Here's the mounting of my ballast behind the front end attached with the headlight bracket bolts.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/garrett804/BallastMounted.jpg

Here's how I prefer to wire my HID's because I believe drilling isn't necessary and just looks tacky.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/garrett804/GrometUsed.jpg

good write up, just got my HIDs installed. however my drivers side will NOT fire up. I double checked my wires and compared them to the passenger side and everything seems fine. I didn't touch them with my hands, however i *think* I knicked the base of the bulb when putting it in the housing... could that be the culprit? 'cause i'm not a fan of driving with one light!

brian

good write up, just got my HIDs installed. however my drivers side will NOT fire up. I double checked my wires and compared them to the passenger side and everything seems fine. I didn't touch them with my hands, however i *think* I knicked the base of the bulb when putting it in the housing... could that be the culprit? 'cause i'm not a fan of driving with one light!

Troubleshoot it. Switch bulbs/ballasts and see if the problem follows.

Come on... who doesn't like driving with one light? You know everyone is playing "padiddle" on your car! Be a team player. :lol:

nada. switched the bulbs/ballast, now the light 'flicks' once when the car is on and i turn on the lights, but does not light afterwards.. blah.

(my attempt at doing this myself now bit me in the ass!)

From what you described above it sounds like you need the wiring harness.

I have the wiring harness, the ballast makes a funny noise upon start-up, but i've read that it's just normal for the ballast to make a noise. i'm gonna head back out to the garage and try to reconnect everything and find out wtf is going on.

well at least I have one light working!

brian

Ballast make a Humming noise. If you hear a clicking sound then its the harness's relay not getting a constant source of power.

For example if you left the DRL plugged in and turned the car on the relay would make a highly annoying clicking sound from there not being enough voltage to maintain the circuit.

it's like flicking a switch on and off really fast in a room. Lights on and off over and over very fast.

Hey guys, first off thanks for the help!

secondly, No clicking noises coming from either of the ballasts. Here's what I did to troubleshoot: I kept the ballasts on their respective sides, and switched out the lightbulbs to test each light on each ballast respectively. The 'working' light worked fine on both lights, and both ballasts. The 'dead' light did not flicker when on the drivers side, it just did not fire at all. On the passenger side, it flicks once. now when i try to turn my lights on and off when my car is on, the light only flickers every few attempts when turning the lights on.

anyways, I'm guessing it's the bulb. thanks tho.

brian

I have a question in regards to people who got a relay harness to get the power directly from the battery, I searched and I couldn't really find a thread with my answer. I'm not that great when it comes to electric wiring.

It's a question about the two blades that come from the bulb that you stick into the stock harness, my relay harness has a white and a ground wire just like one of the bulbs would, (red and black). I'm assuming the relay harness takes place of where you would plug the red and black into the stock harness from the bulbs, but, it's just one white and one ground, not two whites and two grounds for both headlight sockets. Would this mean I would only have to plug the white and black into one of the stock harnesses and leave the rest free?

^I'm like you, not the best w/ electric, but that just doesn't sound right. i didn't install my batt. harness, but i took a good look @ it, because i plan to on some (much warmer) day. iirc, the only things that were even remotely like 'blades' on my batt. harness were the rings to the batt; also, iirc, everything else on the batt. harness goes to the ballasts; and the different wire lengths and connectors make it look pretty difficult to do wrong. ddm here; which kit did you get?

in short, i think you should still have 4 'blades' (from the ballasts, i believe) taped well into the oem sockets, 2 on each side, batt. harness or not. either way, don't do anything till someone smarter than me can either verify what i said above or can walk you thru -- i just wanted to stop you from doing anything in your OP, which sounds a bit like dangerous -- you can fry some serious stuff if you go wrong.

I have the KWD kit that came with the relay harness for free. The kit itself looks like the ddm kit, and if I took the relay harness out of the equation, it looks easy to install.

I didn't do anything yet, just laid out it out first so see how would I wire it with the relay harness. This is the sheet they sent me for the relay harness, the rest of the kit has the basic wiring diagram where it looks the same as the apexcone kit.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/859/p1010030ol2.jpg

I just don't know what to do about the signal portion....

The two signal wires look like they are so you have the option of tapping into one of the positive side of the stock headlight plugs (pink on mine, blue on others), or into a 12V+ headlight trigger wire. Because this is only for signal, you only need to tap into one side. Then black and red (ground and battery in diagram) attach to the nuts that hold the battery clamps on, or you can make your own ground by grinding the paint off some metal and shooting a screw through the eye end of the ground into the chassis of the car. You could also attach the positive to another large gauge constant 12V+ wire in the vehicle. This is actually really easy. Because I haven't actually done this kit and can't see the rest of the instructions, someone plz correct me if I'm wrong.

The two signal wires look like they are so you have the option of tapping into one of the positive side of the stock headlight plugs (pink on mine, blue on others), or into a 12V+ headlight trigger wire. Because this is only for signal, you only need to tap into one side. Then black and red (ground and battery in diagram) attach to the nuts that hold the battery clamps on, or you can make your own ground by grinding the paint off some metal and shooting a screw through the eye end of the ground into the chassis of the car. You could also attach the positive to another large gauge constant 12V+ wire in the vehicle. This is actually really easy. Because I haven't actually done this kit and can't see the rest of the instructions, someone plz correct me if I'm wrong.

That sounds what I thought it would be, now the question was, on the bulb side, the two wires that "would" go to the stock harness... would they just be useless since the signal blade on the harness relay is doing that job?

how I see it is:

without the relay harness it would be:

HID bulb (x2)==> Ballast (X2)===> stock harness(X2)

with the harness:

HID bulb (x2)==> Ballast (X2)===> Relay Harness (with one white/black blade)===> Stock harness (one side only)

the other instructions just read:

Ballast - plugs into the HID ballast power input

Ground - Ground to a grounding location, any exposed metal or ground wire will work

Battery- To be hooked up to your battery

That sounds what I thought it would be, now the question was, on the bulb side, the two wires that "would" go to the stock harness... would they just be useless since the signal blade on the harness relay is doing that job?
Yes, I am almost positive. The point of the blades plugging into the stock harness are for signal and power. Since you get signal and power from the kit harness, you should be good.

how I see it is:

without the relay harness it would be:

HID bulb (x2)==> Ballast (X2)===> stock harness(X2)

with the harness:

HID bulb (x2)==> Ballast (X2)===> Relay Harness (with one white/black blade)===> Stock harness (one side only)

the other instructions just read:

Ballast - plugs into the HID ballast power input

Ground - Ground to a grounding location, any exposed metal or ground wire will work

Battery- To be hooked up to your battery

Sounds like you've got it, and the above instructions are accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys im new here. i actually just bought a 2008 subaru legacy 2.5se and want to put HID headlights in. Is it possible to put them in and just not touch the DRL. i still want the daytime running lights, and my highbeams. i just want to make the projector bulb be HID. is that possible? i am clueless about headlights so please help!!!

Archived