LegacyGT.com

~~~Plug and Play HID Install Walkthrough~~~

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write-up!!! Kudos! Should be sticky I think.

Anywho, I'm doing my DDMs tonight and I imagine the installation path is about 99% the same as the Apexcones. I'm using this Walkthrough.

Question: has anybody posted a walkthrough on the FOGS? I'm doing both the h4/h7s tonight and wanted to be aware of any issues.

:redface:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

My DRL's don't need to be disabled...

Yep the DRL's in the 08' are not on the projectors, so no need to disable them.

I want to install some HID's soon. Still debating whether to drill the caps or not. Also, where did u attach your ballasts to?

Yep the DRL's in the 08' are not on the projectors, so no need to disable them.

I want to install some HID's soon. Still debating whether to drill the caps or not. Also, where did u attach your ballasts to?

For right now i have them zip tied in the little gap between the frame and the fenders. I ripped my HID's out of my 06, so the double sided sticky tap no longer sticks.. Once i get more ill relocate them, where i dont know yet...

Edit... On the first page of this forum there are pictures where kagen put his.. This would probably be the best bet...

I ended up fabricating a bracket for the passenger side after the sticky failed.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/bracket-1.jpg

On the driver side I ended up using two 9" zip-ties that went around the frame

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_3138-1.jpg

OP EDITED WITH THESE PICS IN IT

Ok had my first "real world" test for getting flashed, as I went on a 1000 mile road trip, most of the highway driving done afer dark on 2 lane roads.

After installing the HIDs, I had to aim them down quite a bit, and I brought along some tools in case I was getting flashed excessively.

On the trip, I was almost guaranteed to get flashed if I was rouding a right hander. This meant that the "raised" side of the beam pattern was directly into on coming traffic. This is just the nature of the beam pattern. Can't be fixed unless the headlights are aimed at the ground. On left hand turns, or going straight, I probably only got flashed about 4 times. So looks like glare isn't too bad.

I think I'll be content with them after I mod the tabs so the return wire faces down to get rid of the shadow.

Otherwise, I guess they're ok. One thing I did notice though, was that even STOCK Legacy lights (05+) tended to glare. I could almost always tell I was passing a Legacy.. It's that weird. The lights and coloration are very distinct. The Outbacks were worse since they are taller. So I can imagine my lights glare even more, but the glare looks to be at least tolerable.

My 2 cents.

I've had them for 3 weeks and got flashed twice. This is a better flashes per miles ratio than my stock HIDs on my previous car :D Meaning, with this kit, I got flashed less. Once by an old guy in a Buick two days after the install and tonight by some minivan mom. It should be known both times I got flashed by incoming traffic on complete dark 2-lane roads.

Has anyone else here had to break that tab to make the shadow go away? Is that a requirement or does it depend on the bulb? Anyone have a pic of what it looks like?

Just curious, has anyone here experienced an problem with high beam not working? and fog lights not working after installing the HID? well, i have an 07 LGT and i installed an 6000K HID on my car and also disabled my DRL. as instructed, i did carefully follow the walk through clearly and i know for sure i installed it correctly. so if anyone knows about this. let me know. thanks a lot. i heard the 08 didnt have to disbale DRL to install HID? since 07 is very similar to 08, does that go for me to? if anyone can help. ill be very thankful.

Dude, thanks for the awesome write-up! I used it to install my HIDs this weekend and it worked great. One suggestion though, on "step" 5 (see below)

I looked at the connector that's the reason you're notching the hole and saw that the "safety" wings on the connector are a separate piece that can be popped-off with a thin-bladed screwdriver.

If you temporarily take that safety off you only have to notch 1 side of the hole, and you can use a utility knife to make a pretty small "V"-shaped notch in the cover. Then you can pull the connector through at an angle (one side, then another), snap the "safety" back on and you're good to go.

I'll try to get pics of mine posted soon...

- Josh

You'll need to notch out the 1" hole on each side for this connector to make it through. I used a dremel.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/makeroom.jpg

Do you think that is more trouble than it's worth to most people using the walkthrough? My way is easier and sealed good. One could use RTV either way if he/she were concerned about condensation/moisture getting in. What do you think? I appreciate the feedback.

Anyone else have any input on which way is better?

Archived