LegacyGT.com

~~~Plug and Play HID Install Walkthrough~~~

You can also do this without drilling the caps. Looking at the Apexcone Kit, I don't know if it is possible, but I know the older kits (Xtec...before Apexcone bought them) could do it. I was looking for the walkthrough I followed, but I couldn't find it.

Basically, what you have to do is open up that black plug where the red and black wires are, and push out the stock grommet and route those wires outside of the housing. After doing that, you can route the HID grommet through the stock spot.

It's not completely "plug and play" and you have have to mess with sliding the rubber around the wires down if the HID grommet doesn't have the length to get to the stock spot....but it is drill free. (I didn't have a drill, which is the reason I did it)

ok, i'm in the middle of installing mine now. I tried using the factory grommet and fishing the wires through without drilling, but the connector won't even fit through the factory grommet hole, i don't know how you guys got it through. So, i'm gonna be drilling them...

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, all done. Although its daylight, i could tell that they are functioning properly, so i'm happy. I have one question though, for those of you that put the drivers side ballast on top of the windsheild washer tank, what did you use to hold it down other than the tape? I zip tied it to 2 of the other wires, but i don't think that will help much. I can't seem to find anywhere else to zip tie the ballast to. What else did you guys you to keep it from coming loose? Tonight I just gotta aim them and then i'll be ready to go!

In my walkthrough there's a pic of where I put the driver side ballast. The sticky came a little loose, so I used two 9" zip ties connected to eachother to go around the ballast and the wheel well. I hope that makes sense. I can post pics when I get home.

I ended up getting the Apexicone kit with 6000k bulbs.. I ordered 4500K, but RPM told me that they are now out of those bulbs, and wont get them in for a few weeks, so i just told them send me ya got in stock. So 6000k is it. I like them, rolling around the parking garage at work they looked pretty cool.

I looked at the opie pics.

What's to watch out for? Do the ballasts get hot during normal operation, or just warm?

I'm assuming if I wear surgical gloves I can touch the bulbs if I accidentally do so? Why would I be wearing them, you ask? Because I always manage to touch stuff I'm not supposed to :D

• 2 weeks later...
Finally installed mine, I took my sweet time, must have burned 3 hours doing this. The longest time it took me was to figure out where to mount the darn ballasts, as I wanted a GOOD install. I ended up double-zip-tie-ing the passenger side one close to the ground screw. However, the driver side I just used the double adhesive to mount on top of the windshield washer reservoir. This one I'm uncomfortable about because it has no secondary mounting of any sort. Any ideas, guys?

Update to this walkthrough: Don't trust the sticky!!

This pic is how I zip-tied the driver side after the sticky failed and it fell. That's two 9" zip ties put together to be long enough to go all the way around that body piece.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_3138.jpg

Here's what happened to the passenger side ballast I stuck on my AEM CAI heatshield.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_3139.jpg

Driver side. I can't tell where you attached it. Is it on the other side of the windshield washer reservoir, on the side with the engine? I thought about putting it there but it barely leaves any room for the engine to move around.

Ya, if you pin it against the water reservior that's there it clears the engine just enough. BTW, here's a pic of how I secured the passenger side ballast with the help of a security bracket from a flat panel T.V. wall-mount bracket.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/bracket.jpg

My take is that it's not really safe to pin it on the driver's side where you put it. However, my ballasts look slightly different so they may be larger/thicker, whatever. If I place the ballast where you had, I can barely put my pinky in between it and the engine. Methinks that's not safe. Anywhere else? Did your driver side end up coming unglued as well? Anyone else having issues?

I only used the double sided sticky tape that came with the kit to install mine. I know, i'm extremely paranoid about them falling off, but they haven't moved an inch. I drove for an hour the other day, taking a lot of hard turns and whatnot, and they didn't move at all. I'm still not comforatable with them. The drivers side is on the top of the windshield washer tank, but as close to the fender as I could get it. I made sure it was far away from the engine. The passenger side one I put under the snorkel, right below the headlight assembly. It isn't hanging or anything, just sitting right on top. I used a couple zip ties around the ballast end of the connectors to help reduce the load on the tape, but I don't think they're doing much. I didn't know what else to do because the ballast is just a brick, with no holes, clips, nothing to connect a zip tie to, so unless you wrap one all the way around the frame like kagenmateer did, I don't know what else to do. If you really need me to, I can do outside and take my snorkel off and take a few pictures before it gets dark. Oh, and while I'm here, i'll post up pictures of my end result, I was very happy with kit. (click to enlarge)

Spec B :: DSC00765.jpg picture by subaruwrxfan - PhotobucketSpec B :: DSC00763.jpg picture by subaruwrxfan - PhotobucketSpec B :: DSC00766.jpg picture by subaruwrxfan - Photobucket

^^^ looks good! Both mine were hanging and both fell. The driver side fell after a day. The passenger side I spent 10 minutes holding with pressure fell after a week. If yours are laying flat, they'll probably stay there.

Kagenmateer, wasn't your driver side laying flat on TOP of the windshield washer reservoir? It still came off?

I think that what I might have to do is take the whole bumper off and secure the ballast by wrapping a couple of wires or something similar around the reservoir. There's really no other way that I see it working.

The first night I drove with the HIDs on I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of light, but I feel that a retrofit is really the way to go. After making sure that my aim is as it was with the stock halogens, there's not a whole lot of light on the peripheral field. I dunno, if I had a pair of Rallye 2100 lumen halogens on hand, I'd hook those up and compare and I might even be satisfied.

Well, I'll give you my honest opinion. It depends o who you're going to talk to. Most people are happy with their HIDs, but I have to wonder how many of them have had them in the past. I've had them in the past and I guess I'm saying I'm about 80% satisfied with them.

It involves some extra money but if I were to do it again, I think I would go with top of the line halogens such as the ones sold by Candle Power/Daniel Stern for $30 and they put out 2100 lumens compared to ~3200-3400 that HIDs do. If you're happy with halogens, stick with them. I do a great deal of driving in complete darkness outside city limits. I found out that yes, there is such a thing as too much light/glare on the road in front of you ... Plus you don't have to worry about drilling the caps, reflector retrofits and finding a good and reliable place to ancor the ballasts ...

I'm double-guessing myself and wondering if I should give those halogens a try. But that's just me. I'm going to drive these things more at night, so far I've used them twice. If I find my eyes getting tired or the beam not "settling" or me being as not impressed with the peripheral lighing, I'm yanking the kit out.

Again, I'm a perfectionist.

Kagenmateer, wasn't your driver side laying flat on TOP of the windshield washer reservoir? It still came off?

No, mine is zip-tied to the side of the frame. See earlier pics. And, yes, there is plenty of clearance for the motor. It has stayed there for almost a month now.

so do you guys think just the hid kit is a good improvement for the money? i dont really want to rip the bumper off and all that stuff for the retro but would like more light output.

I would say this is the most bang for your buck mod other than a panel filter.

fishbone- what kit did you get?

Archived