LegacyGT.com

~~~Plug and Play HID Install Walkthrough~~~

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I was not clear, and I was tired. I'm an old function over form guy. If something does not perform better, it does not go on my car. I don't even turn the radio on in my car because it interferes with the "music" if you follow.

Philips is (at least was) the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. On average, 5000k bulbs put out about 300 less Lumens than a 4100k bulb (can't remember actual numbers on the even 5k's). The 4100k bulbs ARE excepted to be closest to actual sunlight. So in my world of performance, or in my "opinion" anything more is getting into "bling".

If people want to buy the higher kelvin bulbs cause they like the "look", that's their business, it's their car. However, I wouldn't want people to mistakenly THINK they perform better. Follow?

So if the 5k puts out less usable light, how does it "perform the same". Granted, the difference between the 4100k and 5000k is not huge, but there is a difference in produced Lumens, so truth is that at anything above 4100k you are in fact purchasing less light, and more "color".

Guess it's like audio cables. You can spend a few hundred dollars, or several thousand dollars on the same length cable... and Average Joe might not notice the measurable (actual) difference in performance where as a true "nut" can tell time and time again with the naked ear.

Now as to the projector... you are absolutely right. It does depend on the bulb and reflector though as to how "off" it will be.

BTW, I'm a Vendor elsewhere with a couple of decades of knowledge/experience who's not looking to make waves. I do enjoy mature debate and information exchange though as EVERYONE benefits :)

yes mature debates are always welcomed. The difference in lumens as previously stated though is so small that even the light output by a untrained eye will not be able to tell. You will however be able to tell the difference between a oem setup an a kit if you were to compare them by there outputs.

That remindsme I still have to find someone for comparo pics around here.

Yes, I still hate Subaru for not giving me the option for OE HIDs on my 05 LGT. I love the OE HIDs on my 03 Evo... which is still running the OE bulbs I might add... lights on day and night since spring of 03'. Wish I could say that for the bulbs in the LGT :mad:

Wife still loves the LGT though... then again, she's not the one maintaining it. Bastard blew a passenger front CV boot last weekend with only 54k on it. My freakin' 450hp Evo is at 74k, literally fly's through the air, and still has the OE axles. I've yanked the front ones out so many times beta testing clutches, I can't believe I've not at least lost a C clip... but all is well.

Back to the LGT lights... there may be a MiniStiGuy retro fit the the LGT's future.

...but with 4100k bulbs :lol:

interesting... and I just received my kit from xenonexpert tonight. Installing on Sat am. Do we need new photos to complete the install from page 1? I gotta camera.

Whoa - that is good pricing.

I'm happy to have bought from xenonexpert and support him as a vendor, but that said, if I was to purchase again, I'd think seriously about trying ddmtuning directly...

Been dead for a while. I took many detailed photos last weekend and plan to create a write-up with photos this weekend....for the good of the peeps.

AND plan to post it in the Walkthrough section of the site as there is not one there.

Is it just me or the pics aren't showing in the first post? :confused:

So about a month and a half ago I swapped in the DDM lights I bought from Oliver.

Last weekend, my right light stopped igniting. I'll be swapping the ballasts this weekend to see if it's a ballast problem, or a bulb problem.

:(

Been dead for a while. I took many detailed photos last weekend and plan to create a write-up with photos this weekend....for the good of the peeps.

AND plan to post it in the Walkthrough section of the site as there is not one there.

Any luck on the new pics. I would like to read-up on it before my lights come in.

Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up.

Figured I would post my install and the few changes from the original walkthrough.

First I removed the portion of the shipping cover and taped the outer cover on the bulb.

I removed the plastic clip from the bulb plug so I only had to notch a V on the cover. Drilled 1" hole and trimmed excess with knife and notched a V.

The I mounted the beam clamp on the frame a made a plate for mounting the Ballast.

I re-tapped the ballast holes to 8x32 and mounted the ballast to the plates.

I put blue marking tape on my fence to confirm proper alignment. There is a shot with both new and old lights.

Plus I keep the old bulbs in the shipping covers in my trunk for emergencies.... Hope this helps.

See Page 12 for pics.....

Archived