LegacyGT.com

~~~Plug and Play HID Install Walkthrough~~~

I installed my HID's last night (before seeing this writeup) and I mounted my ballast to the battery tray (Stupid in hindsight) and it seems that it is getting so hot that it overheats the ballast and turns that headlight off.

Am I correct in thinking that it is overheating?

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been looking to put in HIDs but i thought it would be much harder then this. a few questions

1) is the DDM kit good?

2) i dont want my lights to be too bright and distract others. would a 35w 4500 or 5000 be good? i say 5000 cause i like the pure white light.

3) is xenon expert a good website to order from?

I have been looking to put in HIDs but i thought it would be much harder then this. a few questions

1) is the DDM kit good?

2) i dont want my lights to be too bright and distract others. would a 35w 4500 or 5000 be good? i say 5000 cause i like the pure white light.

3) is xenon expert a good website to order from?

There are 27 pages in this post that will answer all of your fine questions above :) take 15mins and have a read!!!

However, my perspective on the DDM kit;

1) Is the kit good? That's not really a valid question. Its a less expensive kit than most and that's what you get. Is that considered "good"? I have only had one issue in the 3 years I've had it installed so I've been happy. But read through the posts and you'll see that not everyone is in the same boat as me!

Regarding the color + brightness...again that's all up to YOUR tastes. I believe the 55w is "off road" spec, and in fact in some places it is very illegal to change your headlights. So whatever you choose is your choice, but look at your local regulations. Furthermore, if you align your lights properly, it should not distract others. As for the color, its all up to your tastes...lots of sample pictures on this thread (the Xenon site) to look through. Each and everyone opinion will be different!

Lastly, I have had to deal with Xenon expert only twice (initial order and warranty a burnt out light) and in both situations, he/she was excellent in getting me the product / resolving my issue. If you don't go via the web-site, where do you plan on ordering it from / through.

Have fun with your research :) I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your outcome.

Just my 2c :)

• 4 weeks later...
I just installed TRS 35w 5000K HIDs, I immediately adjusted my lights down considerably. I feel like I need to go down more... I drove around for about 1 hour and didn't get any flashes from other drivers.

IMG_0843.thumb.jpg.8f8980b5bff14277dd16a30da0b55f5b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Got my TRS 35w 4300k H7 kit in the mail today. I'm installing them this evening and see people talking about rotating the bulb to put the return wire in a certain spot. Should it be in the 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock position? I know I don't want it in the 7 o'clock spot.

do the aiming guide in the external section that is sticky'd then you'll be within DOT spec.

Lowered the beams significantly (8" @ 25 feet). Need to check against a different wall... May have been on a slight slope, they are awfully low now.

Another way to tell if you are within spec is just by driving around naturally. Look at the cutoff and where it is at on the cars in front of you as you drive around. You can also look at where it is on the sides like if you are driving next to a wall if the slope is going up on the driver side then its to high.

• 6 months later...

thanks for this thorough WALK Thru. i have read and re-read this a few times, and finally installed mine

...after owning them for over a year (in box in garage ;-(

this worked perfectly. i went with 35w, 6000k

one question, and i've read the entire thread (some mention that HID in a high beam is not a good idea, yet i see you can still buy the high beam sizes.

What are folks doing for their highbeams? The HID lows are so strong, you can barely see anything when i flick the high beams.

i see that the 9005 is offered in a HID package, but not sure if that's a good idea or not. love to hear folks thoughts, thanks for your time again

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This is with the HID bulb in place and both spades connected. The red wire goes to factory pink, and black goes to black. What looks like it used to be a black wire on the factory plug is washed out by a white powder, making it look greyish. This is probably powderized rubber from the wire jacket being exposed to the heat. Note: apparently some kits have black and blue wires, so put blue to suby pink and black still goes to black.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/bulbinplacewiresconnected.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Just did this on my 05. I went with a 55W 5000K kit (I've been running an identical kit on another car for over a year now, and it's been great). I might need to adjust the headlights a tad, but otherwise, the install was cake. I just used 3M Super Strength Molding tape to mount the ballasts, and they are definitely not going anywhere! Shoulda done this mod months ago!

• 3 years later...

Is there any way OP could update pictures to this site? I tried using the post on the front page, and also going to photobucket and typing in the username of OP and photobucket has made their website practically unusable due to all the ads popping up everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

@dirtjumper -- what specific question do you have regarding the HID install? I'm assuming you're going for a the simpler plug-and-play (PnP) set-up vs a retrofit. It's fairly straightforward, and you wouldn't even need to remove your front bumper, unless you're very particular about where you want to mount your ballasts.

Archived