LegacyGT.com

Thinking of trading in my LGT for a Mazdaspeed 3

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edmunds has already done a comparison and the Speed3 was picked over the 2008 WRX.

Just me, but I'd give far more weight to tangible differences like an AWD system versus a magazine review. Add in the fact that these reviews are done on OEM tires; the MS3 ships on performance summer tread, is the WRX rolling on something similar or is it on all seasons.

I know for a fact I'm going to dump 95% of the tires a car might ship with as soon as it pick it up. So, if a car on all-seasons performs just slightly worse than one already coming on summer tires, I still consider the car that scored lesser numbers on the test to be the handling car once equipped with similar or better tires than the competition it was tested against.

I own both a Mazda and a Subaru, so no inherent bias from me.

MS3 had that engine mount issue and I don't think Mazda has solved the issues with their 2.3 turbo yet.

Otherwise, the MS3 looks like a good car on paper.

I haven't driven one but I have driven a regular 3 and I doubt they could make it handle like an Acura Integra. The Integra is about the only FWD drive I found I could have fun with. Otherwise, driving FWD cars fast doesn't feel natural or enjoyable to me.

me again.

Odometer: 18,358 miles (since January)

Track days: 3 so far (again in 10 days)

Warranty issues: 0

Recall work: 1 (upgraded tranny mount bolt) now engine won't fall out :)

Squeaks/rattles: None

Avg. Fuel economy: 26 mpg

Dyno test results: 260 whp / 300 wtq

Facial expression of E46 M3 owner going door-to-door:...............PRICELESS! :p

me again.

Odometer: 18,358 miles (since January)

Track days: 3 so far (again in 10 days)

Warranty issues: 0

Recall work: 1 (upgraded tranny mount bolt) now engine won't fall out :)

Squeaks/rattles: None

Avg. Fuel economy: 26 mpg

Dyno test results: 260 whp / 300 wtq

Facial expression of E46 M3 owner going door-to-door:...............PRICELESS! :p

Q: What do a stock speed3 and a big turbo speed3 have in common?

A: A 5.8 sec 0-60 time.

;)

Just playin' with ya. So did Mazda finally do a recall on the tranny bolt?

I thought about the speed3 before placing order on a LGT, price is definatly nicer, and came with 6sp +HIDs. However, I couldnt just imagine driving that car in the winter. I think if i lived in a location with no snow, I would definatly take the Mazda over the Legacy, but I got snow to worry about so to me I think Legacy would be better choice.

I would really love to hear details of the annoyances that are making you want to get rid of your LGT, because I'm very interested in buying an '05 LGT.

Also, you should read this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=3280

I know it's a Speed 6 vs. a Spec B, but I think it's an important read. Why don't you consider buying a Spec B? You might want to after reading the article.

Also that was the 06 Spec B with the 5sp vs 6sp. Not sure if this is a neg or pos thing.

Also keep in mind that Infiniti and BMW now have the new G35x and the 328ix.

Other than than great comparison.

FYI I may be replacing my STi next spring and the spec B is a strong contender.

Cheers

Nick

my wife has a mazda 3, not the speed version :( i think the car is really nice. a liitle small for me, but i am 6'1.. we have had it for over a year with no problems, the build quality is good and so is the fit and finish. the hatch is nice because you can throw alot of stuff in the back. there really isnt any rear leg room, but like i said i am tall so the seat goes all the way back. in the winter time it is not that good, large performance tires (17 inch with a high speed rating) and being front wheel drive, does make for some "interesting" driving, but we live in WNY. like i said we only have the nonspeed version of the 3, but overall i have to say that the car is nice.. hope this helped

my wife has a mazda 3, not the speed version :( i think the car is really nice. a liitle small for me, but i am 6'1.. we have had it for over a year with no problems, the build quality is good and so is the fit and finish. the hatch is nice because you can throw alot of stuff in the back. there really isnt any rear leg room, but like i said i am tall so the seat goes all the way back. in the winter time it is not that good, large performance tires (17 inch with a high speed rating) and being front wheel drive, does make for some "interesting" driving, but we live in WNY. like i said we only have the nonspeed version of the 3, but overall i have to say that the car is nice.. hope this helped

It has less leg room then the LGT:eek::eek::lol:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

So you traded your Legacy GT in for 08 WRX? Curious as to the Pro's and Con's about this transaction?

I miss the Legacy's sunroof; dual exhaust (i have the 5 door Rex), covered cupholders, power seat... little things

I gained better handling, way nicer ride. reduced road noise, better miles per gallon...

There are some features lost from the LGT... but the WRX makes up for it in the everyday driving aspect. The only thing was that it didn't feel quite as fast as the leggy at first... but after i got her broken in she started throwing down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MS3 would be compact territory, neh?

Mazda 6/ MazdaSpeed 6 seems to be the equivalent of a Legacy/GT. Or at least, that's what all the car mags compare.

Mazda just killed the Mazdaspeed 6 and the Mazda 6 wagon. They are done.

The Mazdaspeed 6 should end up as much a collecter's item as the SRT-4!:lol:

I had an '05 3s for about a year. Never had a problem with it at all and it was a ball to drive.

If you look at the numbers the front room is within an inch between the LGT and MZ3. The LGT feels larger in the front. With a few months in my LGT here is my take; the MZ3 is much better handling, slightly rougher ride. the LGT is more comfortable on long trips and the power. The Speed3 is going to be a much rougher ride. The LGT will not be able to match the 3 in handling without some major money put into suspension. There was an article in a car mag that wondered if they could improve the handling of the LGT with aftermarket parts, I don't remember what they did, but the LGT didn't get much better numbers.

It's the nature of the beast.

Now all of the autocrossers are going to yell at me.

I had an '05 3s for about a year. Never had a problem with it at all and it was a ball to drive.

If you look at the numbers the front room is within an inch between the LGT and MZ3. The LGT feels larger in the front. With a few months in my LGT here is my take; the MZ3 is much better handling, slightly rougher ride. the LGT is more comfortable on long trips and the power. The Speed3 is going to be a much rougher ride. The LGT will not be able to match the 3 in handling without some major money put into suspension. There was an article in a car mag that wondered if they could improve the handling of the LGT with aftermarket parts, I don't remember what they did, but the LGT didn't get much better numbers.

It's the nature of the beast.

Now all of the autocrossers are going to yell at me.

the new WRX is a much better autocross car than the legacy. That article was Car and driver and iirc... they did some stupid suspension upgrade to an lgt to make it beat a spec.b. the effort was to see if they could spend less money than the price difference of a spec.b and beat the spec.b. They weren't very successful. but i don't think anyone here agreed with their approach. The spec.b still rolls but it dances on track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

few.

3.25" thk TMIC

K&N panel filter

Mazdaspeed3 springs (30% stiffer than stockers)

Koni Yellow shocks

Hawk pads

braided SS brake lines

70 durometer engine mount

Wow. You dyno'ed 260hp at the wheels with nothing but a panel filter and a thicker TMIC? I assumed that you had some form of boost control.

What did you dyno at stock?

I traded in my 2006 Legacy GT Ltd. for a 07 Mazda3 S grand touring. Man was that a mistake. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car, but it's a compact, it's ride is worse, road noise is worse (overall comfort in general) it was missing little knick knacks here and there. I had leather navi bose HID's the works. The car lost 8000 dollars in value in 3 months. My Legacy lost about 4. I also wasnt a big fan of the stubby short bubble look that they carry or the fact that mazda 3's are more common then civics now (at least where I live)

Long story short, do what you want, it's your money, and if you think you'll be happy, then do what you want.

Oh and by the way

I just traded in my 07 Mazda 3 for an 08 Legacy GT....

It depends on what you want, but to me nothing really compares to a Subaru, there is something about them that constantly draws me back. And this one is going to be a keeper. Just my .02

Archived