LegacyGT.com

Thinking of trading in my LGT for a Mazdaspeed 3

Wow. You dyno'ed 260hp at the wheels with nothing but a panel filter and a thicker TMIC? I assumed that you had some form of boost control.

What did you dyno at stock?

No boost control other than stock ECU

One month new. Zero mods.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/DynoKevMS3-1.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The car lost 8000 dollars in value in 3 months.
FWIW, I "lost" $2000 on the Speed3 I had in the 4 months I owned it. Purchased for 23k, sold for 21k. I may have been lucky, but the point is that I don't think you can make the global statement that the Mazda will depreciate faster than the LGT.

I'm not defending the mazda, as I was unhappy enough to sell mine after 4 months, but there certainly were redeeming aspects to the car.

FWIW, I "lost" $2000 on the Speed3 I had in the 4 months I owned it. Purchased for 23k, sold for 21k. I may have been lucky, but the point is that I don't think you can make the global statement that the Mazda will depreciate faster than the LGT.

I'm not defending the mazda, as I was unhappy enough to sell mine after 4 months, but there certainly were redeeming aspects to the car.

It's a good thing I didn't make that statement. All I said was what happened with me. Thanks for the story though, I'll remember it the next time I post something about how much I lost on my Mazda vs. my Subaru, maybe I can make it a little disclaimer on the bottom that reads "This is not a reflection upon how your transactions may go, this is just one of many made on Mazdas and Subarus each year. This is not to be used as a guide for buying and selling piece of shit fords and subarus because as noted by a4b5, his only lost $2,000 dollars in 4 months." Something like that.

Either way Subarus don't depreciate as fast as fords/mazdas... period.

It's a good thing I didn't make that statement. All I said was what happened with me. Thanks for the story though, I'll remember it the next time I post something about how much I lost on my Mazda vs. my Subaru, maybe I can make it a little disclaimer on the bottom that reads "This is not a reflection upon how your transactions may go, this is just one of many made on Mazdas and Subarus each year. This is not to be used as a guide for buying and selling piece of shit fords and subarus because as noted by a4b5, his only lost $2,000 dollars in 4 months." Something like that.

Either way Subarus don't depreciate as fast as fords/mazdas... period.

Guess I touched a nerve. Oops .... :eek:

you had no torque steer on your lude and accord v6 because neither car had torque to begin with :lol:

I had 202wtq with my accord and 191whp, which would equate to in the ballpark of 250ish horse, it had plenty of torque. It would spank your non turbo legacy.:lol:

Guess I touched a nerve. Oops .... :eek:

No, no I was actually getting ready to make the announcment on Fox news when I read your post, I am truly happy that you pointed out to me that I cant base my own experience and say thats what will happen to everyone. Seriously I am in debt to you, I forgot there were variances in the world until you opened my eyes. I owe you one, just let me know what I can do. But you helped me save face when I could've made a real ass out of myself to the entire nation.

I had 202wtq with my accord and 191whp, which would equate to in the ballpark of 250ish horse, it had plenty of torque. It would spank your non turbo legacy.:lol:

considering v6 accords come with what 200hp and 150tq stock, uhhhh nope :lol::lol:

No, no I was actually getting ready to make the announcment on Fox news when I read your post, I am truly happy that you pointed out to me that I cant base my own experience and say thats what will happen to everyone. Seriously I am in debt to you, I forgot there were variances in the world until you opened my eyes. I owe you one, just let me know what I can do. But you helped me save face when I could've made a real ass out of myself to the entire nation.
^^^^:soap_box:

i'm done with this. good lord.

I was also thinking of getting an 07 speed3, I test drove one in my area and let me say it was a blast to drive. However I am not partial to the hatchback style and for commuting to school in New England I wanted the AWD. All in all that Speed3 sounds amazing and rides real nice but I prefer the legacy, not just because I bought one... 2 cents
Will it Blend? That is the question!

Looks like MS3 is better handling car than new GH.

It is stock for stock... it's a little more hardcore... there's nothing on the new impreza that can't be fixed with very little effort. The new WRX is a better daily driver.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is stock for stock... it's a little more hardcore... there's nothing on the new impreza that can't be fixed with very little effort. The new WRX is a better daily driver.

Keep the "better daily driver." Just don't find yourself on a real track facing down a Speed3. ;)

Personally, I find superior brakes, 10x flatter cornering, an LSD, and 60+ more hp a better daily driver. It just must be my driving style. :p

Keep the "better daily driver." Just don't find yourself on a real track facing down a Speed3. ;)

Personally, I find superior brakes, 10x flatter cornering, an LSD, and 60+ more hp a better daily driver. It just must be my driving style. :p

I will be on the track soon. And modding a WRX will put it in another league compared to the MS3 and the MS3 can't be modded to even begin to keep up. The factory tuned ms3 was $6k more for 300hp and was barely quicker .1 or .2 quicker in the quarter mile. for a fraction of that the WRX will make an MS3 look like a rockstar poser.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the ms3 has its plus because it is a lighter and smaller car better for autocroos or something like that, i have to give it its own props but like everyone else is saying why?

I think it was motortrend that had professional autocrossers take an ms3 and the old wrx around the track. stock for stock the ms3 was slightly faster but when asked ALL of the professionals said they would choose the wrx if they are were serious about autocrossing. And that was the old car that doesn't handle as well as the new one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is my opinion. I agree about the bad torque steer. I had a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE for my first car and with just 222hp it would pull my weels hard. Not to mention there was really no quick line starts...the wheels just spin. These things will be even worse for in the Mazda with 270 hp.

Also, as far as German cars go, STAY AWAY. I just had to replace my 2000 A4 turbo. The car was extremely fun to drive (despite being underpowered), but I could not keep up with the maintenance schedule or the problems I had. Literally, Audi had my car for 4 months with electrical problems!!!! 4 MONTHS!!!! They kept trying to give it back to me with the engine light on, and I was like come on. They went through 3 ECUs, and when they finally had one that worked, they needed to reprogram something. Only, Audi would not release the code. The seriously waited until another customer brought in the same car so they could rip the code from their ECU. This is only 1/20 major problems I had with this car. The serpentine belt broke on my way home from the last day of college and did $4000 in damage under the hood. The car was barely worth $8000, so I worked out a deal with the dealership that sold me the car to absorb the cost of the repairs and give us the remaining value toward my new car.

So, the new car. 2008 LGT. This is my first Subaru, and I love it. I've got about 8000miles on it now and only had one minor problem. The first time I washed the car in a wash bay, the power sprayer ripped the paint off the front bumper. Subaru got it painted at the best place in town, and guaranteed the paint job for the life of the car. Try getting that out of Audi. All in all, I don't have too much bad to say about the Mazda. I would just be careful not to pass up a new Subaru. They have had far less problems then the 2005's, and the new aggressive look of the LGT is sick.

If this makes any difference, I came from a 2005 Mazda 3s 5 door, Lava Orange. Fully loaded to the max. The quality that goes into the parts is by far better than a WRX. But it is a class leader and is why you see so many now. It was smooth and quiet. Just a solid ride. By the way, not made in the US like the Mazdaspeed 6. It has luxury features that no others had in that class. Options like HID Xeon lights, TPMS, homelink mirror, and just a whole lot of other options that no other had at the time. Best bang for the buck.

I would still have it if I had not put it into the concrete guard rail at 85 mph. By the way that brings up another great feature, 8 air bags. Great car to be in a wreck if you have a choice. I am living proof. Anyway, the quality of the car is bar none. I did not have the Mazdaspeed3 as that came out about this time last year. So all I can speak for the 2.3 liter "S" and the car it self and I am a fan.

Before I got my LGT, I was minutes away from buying a mazdaspeed3. I didn't because I realized I needed to grow up and get a larger family sedan. Grow out of the speed racer phase as that is what got me in trouble in the first place. So I moved up to the LGT 5EAT. I thought it would slow me down, but look at me now, already stage 2. Another reason why is that I wanted a tuner car that had after market options. The one main problem I had with that car was there was no one making aftermarket parts for it at the time I had it. To new. Now may be a little better. But again the mazaspeed3 only came out last year and may not have as many options for parts and after market upgrades. All said and done, I wouldn’t go back to one, even the Mazdaspeed3 as my requirement for a family sport sedan takes it out of the mix. If the mazdaspped 6 had a AT, I would probably be in it but only had a 6 speed MT. So I got the LGT and still a happy camper.

Good luck.

If this makes any difference, I came from a 2005 Mazda 3s 5 door, Lava Orange. Fully loaded to the max. The quality that goes into the parts is by far better than a WRX. But it is a class leader and is why you see so many now. It was smooth and quiet. Just a solid ride. By the way, not made in the US like the Mazdaspeed 6. It has luxury features that no others had in that class. Options like HID Xeon lights, TPMS, homelink mirror, and just a whole lot of other options that no other had at the time. Best bang for the buck.

I would still have it if I had not put it into the concrete guard rail at 85 mph. By the way that brings up another great feature, 8 air bags. Great car to be in a wreck if you have a choice. I am living proof. Anyway, the quality of the car is bar none. I did not have the Mazdaspeed3 as that came out about this time last year. So all I can speak for the 2.3 liter "S" and the car it self and I am a fan.

Before I got my LGT, I was minutes away from buying a mazdaspeed3. I didn't because I realized I needed to grow up and get a larger family sedan. Grow out of the speed racer phase as that is what got me in trouble in the first place. So I moved up to the LGT 5EAT. I thought it would slow me down, but look at me now, already stage 2. Another reason why is that I wanted a tuner car that had after market options. The one main problem I had with that car was there was no one making aftermarket parts for it at the time I had it. To new. Now may be a little better. But again the mazaspeed3 only came out last year and may not have as many options for parts and after market upgrades. All said and done, I wouldn’t go back to one, even the Mazdaspeed3 as my requirement for a family sport sedan takes it out of the mix. If the mazdaspped 6 had a AT, I would probably be in it but only had a 6 speed MT. So I got the LGT and still a happy camper.

Good luck.

The New Impreza kills the Mazda on quality of materials and fit and finish. The Mazda interior looks nice but it's cheap as crap. Mazda put in all those features yet they wouldn't make the curtain airbags and ABS standard. Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey B4,

you sure like making bold statements that fly in the face of facts. come on, just admit it and you'll feel better. "I should have bought a Mazdaspeed3." :spin::mad:

I doubt you've ever sat inside a MS3...or been close enough to one to see it....especially on the road. :redface:

Enjoy sniffing and stroking that superior plastic interior of yours. :confused:

I'll have to console myself with a 21st century Direct-injection engine, LSD, Traction Control, Skid Control, 6-speed close ratio MT, 18-in alloy wheels, far superior brakes, HIDs, LED brake lights, 2-tone highly bolstered seats, 6 separate underbody braces (you've heard of rigidity, right?)......

oh, and a measly 260 wheel hp / 300 wheel tq from a stock setup. :p

one last kick in your wide-open crotch........an average 26 mph displayed on my carputer (yeah, its got that too). :lol:

Hey B4,

you sure like making bold statements that fly in the face of facts. come on, just admit it and you'll feel better. "I should have bought a Mazdaspeed3." :spin::mad:

I doubt you've ever sat inside a MS3...or been close enough to one to see it....especially on the road. :redface:

I'll have to console myself with a 21st century Direct-injection engine, LSD, Traction Control, Skid Control, 6-speed close ratio MT, 18-in alloy wheels, far superior brakes, HIDs, LED brake lights, 2-tone highly bolstered seats, 6 separate underbody braces (you've heard of rigidity, right?)......

one last kick in your wide-open crotch........an average 26 mph displayed on my carputer (yeah, its got that too). :lol:

You sure seem real high and mighty about the "road presence" of your teh fastar speed3 (teh srt-4 is no more). How come i have seen 3 at the track all posting inconsistent crap times then? I walked all of them in my automatic legacy.. And as soon as any increment weather hits any suby will walk the speed3.. Don't get me wrong though, they are nice cars for the money. But who wants to run slicks just to put the power down to the road?

Oh and you are on a Subaru site bragging about your LSD???? ahaha, sorry that's money right there.

Hey B4,

I drove the MS3 twice before i decided on the WRX. The MS3 is trying to hard to be a sport compact hot hatch... it's maxed out... the WRX with a little massaging will hand the MS3 it's ass... and unfortunately...there's nothing the MS3 can do to advance it's position. The MS3 is the epitome of what Mazda can do on the FWD chassis... The sky is the limit on the WRX.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh and you are on a Subaru site bragging about your LSD???? ahaha, sorry that's money right there.

The WRX doesn't have an LSD anymore... It uses the VDC as an LSD. A Porsche Cayman doesn't have an LSD either...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived