LegacyGT.com

Thinking of trading in my LGT for a Mazdaspeed 3

Hey B4,

you sure like making bold statements that fly in the face of facts. come on, just admit it and you'll feel better. "I should have bought a Mazdaspeed3." :spin::mad:

I doubt you've ever sat inside a MS3...or been close enough to one to see it....especially on the road. :redface:

Enjoy sniffing and stroking that superior plastic interior of yours. :confused:

I'll have to console myself with a 21st century Direct-injection engine, LSD, Traction Control, Skid Control, 6-speed close ratio MT, 18-in alloy wheels, far superior brakes, HIDs, LED brake lights, 2-tone highly bolstered seats, 6 separate underbody braces (you've heard of rigidity, right?)......

oh, and a measly 260 wheel hp / 300 wheel tq from a stock setup. :p

one last kick in your wide-open crotch........an average 26 mph displayed on my carputer (yeah, its got that too). :lol:

:rolleyes: I'm getting 27.3 mpg (as per info system) over the last 4000 miles and I have Subaru symetrical AWD.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would give boxrpwr some benefit of the doubt..

he had one of the more "done up" legacies on the board. he knows what he's talking about.

some of this thread reeks of fanboyism.

bottom line is this. if you want something more grown up a legacy is a better fit. impress the wife/gf AND her parents.

the mazda is geared towards a younger crowd.

they're priced about 6-7k msrp apart anyhow so they're not rivals. they're in completely different segments. i wouldnt expect anyone shopping for a legacy to be looking at mazdaspeed3s or vice versa.

although i can see more people going to a legacy from a mazdaspeed3 than the reverse.

car for sale. PM me!

I call B.S. on a Legacy getting >27 mpg in the city. It just don't happen unless granny driving to church walks your ass. :cool:

Like Lawl said, I got equal or more Legacy experience than most of you talking tirds here. ;)

As for the MS3 being in "another class" based on price, please know it comes in a base Sport model for $22.4K MSRP. That's what I paid for mine. There are guys bragging on the Mazda forums now about dealers clearing out remaining '07 Speed3's for about $1,500 off sticker. So the fact that you can buy a Speed3 for well under $21K surely puts it in the bargain of a lifetime category.

In fact, I believe the shoes on the other foot. Its the WRX that's overpriced for the "bang-for-th-buck" factor. I believe a WRX stickers for around $27K.

Nothing on the planet currently compares with the performance edge you get buying a MazdaSpeed3 (at least currently). Unless you want to be stupid enough to go purchase a new SRT-4 Caliber for about the same price. I'm sure its up to the task of spanking a Speed3.......yeah, right! :rolleyes:

And for those who might think I've become a Subie-basher......don't be surprised to see me pull up to the first Midnight Meet in 2008 driving a brand new STI. :p

I call B.S. on a Legacy getting >27 mpg in the city. It just don't happen unless granny driving to church walks your ass. :cool:

Like Lawl said, I got equal or more Legacy experience than most of you talking tirds here. ;)

As for the MS3 being in "another class" based on price, please know it comes in a base Sport model for $22.4K MSRP. That's what I paid for mine. There are guys bragging on the Mazda forums now about dealers clearing out remaining '07 Speed3's for about $1,500 off sticker. So the fact that you can buy a Speed3 for well under $21K surely puts it in the bargain of a lifetime category.

In fact, I believe the shoes on the other foot. Its the WRX that's overpriced for the "bang-for-th-buck" factor. I believe a WRX stickers for around $27K.

Nothing on the planet currently compares with the performance edge you get buying a MazdaSpeed3 (at least currently). Unless you want to be stupid enough to go purchase a new SRT-4 Caliber for about the same price. I'm sure its up to the task of spanking a Speed3.......yeah, right! :rolleyes:

And for those who might think I've become a Subie-basher......don't be surprised to see me pull up to the first Midnight Meet in 2008 driving a brand new STI. :p

wrx stickers for $24k . I got mine w/ navi ,short throw shifter, bumper cover, subwoofer, cargo nets, and wheel locks for $27k

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not bad. only $5K more than I paid for my MS3 Sport.

Lets see, what could I do with that extra $5K......

- bigger TMIC $550 (check, got it)

- track pads $200 (check, got it)

- Pro boost gauge $50 (check)

- Mazdaspeed springs $250 (check)

- Cobb SF intake $175 (check, installs on Mon.)

- Cobb ff/rr sways $380 (next mod)

- Cobb STS $140 (waiting for release)

- Cobb AP v.2 $700 (waiting for release)

- Cobb 3" TBE $1,100 (waiting for release)

- Rota 18 x 8 P1's $750 (ordered)

- Bridgestone RE-01R 225's $750 (coming soon)

Now how do you think a Stage 2 MS3 with this setup will roll against a stock WRX? Same money spent! :eek:

Can you say "run home to momma"? :lol:

Just drive them both. They are VERY different cars...

After driving both the MS3 and the MS6, I was very glad I got my wagon, and the wife wants to look elsewhere. (She drives a pretty hardcore modded car now, so the MS3 would be a slightly cushier :D)

:spin:

No way FWD for a daily driver around here. So damn boring from a stop, especially while turning. Have to accelerate like everybody else. *yawn*

Toss in some great dirt roads and I'm lucky if the LGT is 2WD in some spots, but it certainly is fun even at 30 mph:

http://www.sover.net/~jeffgold/muddy-roads02.jpg

Now give me smooth, dry roads most of the year and a nicely balanced FWD car, might be tempted.

Regular Mazda3 I drove was a fun little car, seems like Mazda did right with the MS3.

Hey B4,

you sure like making bold statements that fly in the face of facts. come on, just admit it and you'll feel better. "I should have bought a Mazdaspeed3." :spin::mad:

I doubt you've ever sat inside a MS3...or been close enough to one to see it....especially on the road. :redface:

Enjoy sniffing and stroking that superior plastic interior of yours. :confused:

I'll have to console myself with a 21st century Direct-injection engine 0-60 is 0-60 no matter how you get there, LSD ok they took that out but with vcs you don't need it, Traction Control wrx also, Skid Control isn't that abs? , 6-speed close ratio MT more work need not apply, 18-in alloy wheels for the improved harsher ride, far superior brakes more a function of good tires which the wrx doesn't have but could, HIDs regulars light work fine, LED brake lights wrx also, 2-tone highly bolstered seats so i'll get some paint:rolleyes:, 6 separate underbody braces sounds like it has a weak body if they have to add extra metal (you've heard of rigidity, right?)......

oh, and a measly 260 wheel hp / 300 wheel tq from a stock setup. :pbut the 224hp wrx keeps up

one last kick in your wide-open crotch........an average 26 mph displayed on my carputer (yeah, its got that too). :lol:

not bad. only $5K more than I paid for my MS3 Sport.

Lets see, what could I do with that extra $5K......

- bigger TMIC $550 (check, got it)

- track pads $200 (check, got it)

- Pro boost gauge $50 (check)

- Mazdaspeed springs $250 (check)

- Cobb SF intake $175 (check, installs on Mon.)

- Cobb ff/rr sways $380 (next mod)

- Cobb STS $140 (waiting for release)

- Cobb AP v.2 $700 (waiting for release)

- Cobb 3" TBE $1,100 (waiting for release)

- Rota 18 x 8 P1's $750 (ordered)

- Bridgestone RE-01R 225's $750 (coming soon)

Now how do you think a Stage 2 MS3 with this setup will roll against a stock WRX? Same money spent! :eek:

Can you say "run home to momma"? :lol:

did you forget?

your traction control will kick in to prevent you from smoking the tires off the line.

if you defeat that your tires will go up in smoke.

sounds like a waste of money to me :lol:

too bad the didn't have awd to handle all that wasted power

Hey Red,

[removed personal jabs]

0-60 times for the new, slower REX haven't been posted yet to my knowledge

Skid control is not ABS. but sheep fruckers are too stupid to understand the difference

6MT you must feel sorry for those poor STI drivers

18" wheels harsher to some is better cornering to others

take a ride from 60 to a dead stop in a MS3 and then tell me its "just the tires"

as for a new WRX keeping up......I'll report back on that the first chance I get to disprove it. That's if the other guy doesn't exit first in fear. On a proper closed road course, naturally...;)

Looks like MS3 is better handling car than new GH.

Red,

did you actually watch this vid link?

In case you don't speak Japanese, I ran it through a translation software:

"MazdaSpeed3 is a far superior car. The steering is precise and the suspension is tuned for well-controlled, aggressive maneuvering. Corning is flat so speed can be maintained through rapid transitions. Overall, this Mazda kicks the living shit out of that WRX death-trap."

"This new Impreza is a very, very disappointing product from Subaru. Despite its supposed AWD advantage, the WRX flounders around like a fish on a boat deck. I'm glad my employer offers excellent life insurance because I almost killed myself out there. Give my apologies to the cameraman for causing him to piss his pants."

:rolleyes: Enough already. This started as a fair comparison and has turned into a retarded flamefest pretty quickly. FWD is a barrier to serious performance on the speed3. I also think it is a very sporty car for the price. If somebody needs/wants AWD or wants to be fast off the line, they won't buy a speed3. Simple as that.

Hey Red,

why don't you just get back to enjoying that sheep in your avatar. Looks like you really know how to put out for farm animals!

editing someone's post like that is about as childish as butt-frucking your pets. you seem well qualified.

0-60 times for the new, slower REX haven't been posted yet to my knowledge

Skid control is not ABS. but sheep fruckers are too stupid to understand the difference

6MT you must feel sorry for those poor STI drivers

18" wheels harsher to some is better cornering to others

take a ride from 60 to a dead stop in a MS3 and then tell me its "just the tires"

If you think better bracing is a bad thing, then you should remove your lame-ass sways in that P.O.S. 3.0 rrrrr (purrs like a kitten huh? all 160 whp of it?)

as for a new WRX keeping up......I'll report back on that the first chance I get to disprove it. That's if the other guy doesn't exit first in fear.

in straightline tests the mazdaspeed 3 is just a little faster than the wrx so with an accessport the wrx it would pass it.

what is the function of their skid control?

to keep the car straight when slamming on the brakes? thats abs

the keep the car from sliding sideways when stepping on the brakes? thats vcs

to prevent the front wheels from smoking when taking off from a stop?

thats why you need awd.

if mazda was smart they would put in awd, that would make the car 10x better and would outsell the new wrx

although i drive auto for my stop and go needs it has been highly debated at nasioc as to wheter 5 speed or a 6 speed is better. there is better spacing with the 6 speed but your going to have to shift another gear. the 5 speed may slow you down because you may lose revs. it is all very subjective.

on my barge i switched from the 17" to the 18" rims, they are a little harsher over the bumps with less sidewall.

comparing my car to yours is comparing apples to oranges.

be fair, compare the new wrx to the mazdaspeed 3.

could the new wrx corner better? yes it should for that price

and yes i saw that vid and the other comparing straightline accelaration. i don't understand japanese but could tell the wrx needs improvement for the hard-core driver.

FWD is inferior. Why is a FWDriver even posting to this site?

because the mazdaspeed3 is a good car to compare to the wrx.

because it was part of the initial topic and comparing the mazdaspeed 3, which he's interested in, with something similar will broaden his mind and he'll be happier with his decision no matter what he decides.

also...neither car is perfect.

fair nough!

but personally, I would wait to see what the STI has to offer in terms of more aggressive styling and road handling. I hope it whoops ass on the EVO X. Frankly, I've seen enough of the new Lancers to decide the whole styling is not for me. But a dual-clutch manumatic would be a fantastic option on the STI.

Archived