LegacyGT.com

Official Turbo Stutter Complaint Petition

I have an update.

I went to the dealer tonight for the stutter problem and the master tech couldnt confirm or deny the problem. He knew what I was talking about though. He has to talk to someone who would know more about the car and will be in touch with me. He told me, and I understood, that Subaru has a "normal operations" range and if SOA says its in that range than there is nothing that can be done.

Also the regional Subaru manager noticed my case and mentioned it to the manager when he was at the dealership Monday. He wants to know more about it. I told the dealership I wouldnt mind giving them my car for a day, a week or whatever if they want to run tests. What they said they might do is hook a computer up to it and make a few runs and log some data to send to Subaru to take a look at. I also mentioned to them about other people online here with the same issues. I should know more tomorrow when the dealership gets back to me about it.

Its Rare to have a dealer get that involved, I hope it helps. Please keep us posted.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing you guys. If you arent going to call SOA and get a case number this isnt going to be resolved. I asked Stewart for the list of case numbers and out of the 15 reported VIN's so far there are only 4 with case numbers including me. So really this is just a waste of time and webspace to just add your vin and name to a list. You really need a case number. To get a case number is easier than you think. All you need to do is call SOA and tell them your problem. They will give you a case number and ask you to follow up with a dealer at your convenience. You dont even need to go, but atleast now you have a case number and SOA knows of your problem. A lot of you can complain about it, but if you dont get a case number, than stop complaining.

A case number would be the best scenario, but I do think it is still worthwhile for people to fill it out, with or without a case number. I have programmed it to allow you to update your case number on the form, so if you fill it out now, then call subaru and get a case number, you can update your vin with that new case #. I just think its sad that it has been online for a week only 15 people have bothered to fill it out, and only 5 people have bothered to call SoA, when we know the problem is very widespread (read as all 2.5l turbo engines).

What sucks about going to the dealer is that they will always call Subaru and Subaru will tell them it is within acceptable range of normal operation and send you on your way. As the list grows we can say, here are the vins of 100 other affected vehicles with angry owners, no fix it. Without more reports and without more case #'s we will never see a fix come to light.

It doesnt hurt to get the VIN's on file, especially so we here can see how many people here have the problem, but I cant go to the dealer with just VIN's and say "these cars all have the same problem" For all they know I collected them off the internet or went around looking for LGTs. If I presented VIN's along with case numbers, than the dealer can look them all up. The important part is getting case numbers. Even if your car is "Within normal operation paramiters" according to the dealer, they still keep the "closed" cases on file. Bottom line is they are only going to do something if they get enough complaints. Please, get a case number even if you dont go to the dealer.

I called tonight last minute after waiting all day for a call from the dealer like they said they would do. Anyway, I talked to the Master Tech and he told me he had tried contacting the Tech line twice today but he cant be on hold for long periods of time, understandable. He was in touch with a school too about this issue. He claimed they had an LGT there that they were going to look into. He also spoke the with person at SOA that filed the case number with me and told him what I had told him. He did not confirm it was a problem though. He really wants to wait and talk to the tech line before he does anything else. I again told him I would give my car to them, but he said SOA would not want to hold up my car. (God forbid SOA have to pay for a loaner, you know?!) So thats where I am right now. I asked him to keep in touch and thats where we left it. I have an aftermarket intake coming (SPT) and heatshield, but Im wondering if I should keep it completely stock for now until they get to see it again...

Stewart... I am very, very weary of posting my VIN number on the internet or anywhere other than DMV or dealership... could you change the form so that the individual can put the VIN# OR case#???

Thanks

-Marshall

[edit]

P.S.: CARTER, PLEASE keep your car stock until they've looked at it. You and I both know that aftermarket parts will be the first thing they try to blame this on.

lol

Yet after market parts are the only fix for it right now.

You sure are a picky one sharp, it's not like I'm asking for a credit card, social security, dob, drivers license number and vin... What if I do not store the last digit, that seems to be enough on other sites. Keep in mind this is not published anywhere, and only distributed to people who have confirmed the problem themselves and have a SoA case #. To date, Carter is the only one who has inquired and/or received a copy of the list. No last digit ok? Or how about no last digit and no check digit? I would just say drop the last 5 numbers but the serial number is required to identify the range of cars affected.

The problem with only a case #, it that you cannot update it later. I don't know if that is a issue or not though.

^^^ To the above, it really does not matter. If I wanted your VIN # I'd walk by your car, text it to my friend and have him put it on the internet. People that worry about it should be more worried about their SSN and Credit Cards not being in their pockets.:rolleyes:

Hi all,

I'm new to the board with an 07 LGT. I love the car, but I too am experianceing the "dip" problem with my car. I spoke to the dealer about it and he recalled an issue with an STI with the same problem. The tech said he didn't recall any problems with the LGT, but would not rule them out as not having the problem. I have to take the car in for him to drive and confirm. This will be a couple of weeks as I'm busy at work at the moment. I will supply my VIN # to the list and supply a case number when I get one.

Thanks for everyone's effort and help in this matter!

Tom

Edit - Page five ownage and we are up to 19 VIN numbers!

What is the 'normal range' for tac that techs 'test drive'? If 'stuttering bob' only acts up on heavy acceleration, then techs might not see it unless we drive them ourselves. Tri City Suby is still in denial, even though I saw one of their techs pull gears in a hurry during an after maint drive. Nothing like seeing your car fly by you while you are out walking, looking at other cars...

What is the 'normal range' for tac that techs 'test drive'? If 'stuttering bob' only acts up on heavy acceleration, then techs might not see it unless we drive them ourselves. Tri City Suby is still in denial, even though I saw one of their techs pull gears in a hurry during an after maint drive. Nothing like seeing your car fly by you while you are out walking, looking at other cars...

I insisted on going for a ride with the technician

What they said they might do is hook a computer up to it and make a few runs and log some data to send to Subaru to take a look at.

Actually, there have been a couple members on this board that have already data-logged their cars and found empirical evidence on the stutter.

I have a feeling all your dealership will find is "normal operation" :rolleyes:

I see you have a 2008 Legacy... It's nice to see that three years and thousands of complaints later Subaru still hasn't addressed this issue.

HEY STARHM

I bought my 01 VDC from Tri City and my 07 Spec. B from Patriot. Bought it from Patriot because they were the first dealer in northern N.E. to get one. I never let the Spec. B. out of sight when having service done. They only let me test drive the car in I drive so I only let them go from drop off station to work bay and back to pick up station and never leave the dealer lot.:spin:

Originally Posted by bugblatterbeast viewpost.gif

The studder is fixable. There's a big hole in the stock AVCS map around 2000-2800 up to loads of ~ 0.7 (I'll get the exact numbers up later when I can pull up some maps). Smooth it out + set the close loop delays to zero.

There may be other causes (+ car to car variation) but what I found when I was making adjustments for fuel economy was that the hole was really correlated with the studder. ie: put the hole back (even in one cell) and the car bucks and hesitates as you pass through it. take it out and the problem goes away.

edit:

the stock map has 0s for the following regions:

2400 up to loads of 0.9

3200 up to loads of 0.55

then pretty big jumps on either sides.....

Archived