LegacyGT.com

Official Turbo Stutter Complaint Petition

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm number 37.

I googled "subaru legacy hesitation" and got here. First off, I love the car. I converted from an Audi A4, which was partially fueled by how much we love our Tribeca.

I have about 6K miles and complained about the hesitation at my first oil change. I did a lot of "tests" and basically have come to the same conclusion as many here. I took a test ride with the head Subaru tech at the dealer. He said he felt it and it didn't seem right. So, they went ahead with the oil change and came back a couple hours later. He hooked up the laptop and took the car for a test drive again- trying to duplicate this issue. He said that at that RPM, the car was tripping the anti-knock signal. He did check to see if there was a flash available and there wasn't (no surprise to you all).

So, his recommendation is to pay attention to where I get my gas. He said to avoid BP or other sketchy places. This maybe was his "fix-all" just to shut me up. Who knows.

Welcome to the forums and that you for adding your entry. I am adding a link to this thread to the petition, and I will put a link to the petition from other sites which reference this issue. We need more exposure.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm number 37.

I googled "subaru legacy hesitation" and got here. First off, I love the car. I converted from an Audi A4, which was partially fueled by how much we love our Tribeca.

I have about 6K miles and complained about the hesitation at my first oil change. I did a lot of "tests" and basically have come to the same conclusion as many here. I took a test ride with the head Subaru tech at the dealer. He said he felt it and it didn't seem right. So, they went ahead with the oil change and came back a couple hours later. He hooked up the laptop and took the car for a test drive again- trying to duplicate this issue. He said that at that RPM, the car was tripping the anti-knock signal. He did check to see if there was a flash available and there wasn't (no surprise to you all).

So, his recommendation is to pay attention to where I get my gas. He said to avoid BP or other sketchy places. This maybe was his "fix-all" just to shut me up. Who knows.

Sounds like the dealer was talking out of his butt. If the ECU allows the car to knock at the same RPM every time you accelerate, there is something seriously wrong with the car. Likewise, unless you're filling up with stale or contaminated gas, it shouldn't cause that problem.

My dealer is aware of the stutter, and gave me the reflash. They said that the engine is very susceptible to bad gas and a bad fill can change the ecu programming when it detects the bad gas. The programming will not change back when proper fuel is put in the car.

How much truth is behind this, I don't know, but if that is the case, I had bad gas when I bought the car because it's been there since day 1. I have only fueled my car from 1 station (a shell station near my office) with only 1 exception where I went to a Chevron when I was out of town, that tank got me bad gas mileage so I stuck to the Shell station. I have only ever put premium fuel in it. Oregon has very poor fuel regulations so the same rating fuel from the same station on a different day could be a totally different gas.

I had the flash done on Tuesday and have not driven the car since, other than home from the dealer. I did a second gear pull from 2500 to redline and I got a single hesitation around 4000 as opposed to the usual 3. I will be driving the car this weekend and can see if it is improved or not.

The dealer is supposed to get back to me with a version number of the patch used so I can share it with you guys. If you are trying to get a flash done and your dealer is not cooperating please have them call Bob Thompson at CARR Subaru (503) 520-4110 (not a direct line).

People are having mixed results with the reflash's effectiveness. The petition will stay online until a guaranteed fix has been made available to the public.

So I took my 08 LGT into the shop today to have my 3-4K stutter fixed. The car is stock for now and has about 900 miles on it. I noticed the stutter within the first miles, after the test drive of course.

After taking my technician for a ride to show him the problem they took my car in. To my surprise I got a call back a few hours later and they said they had fixed the problem after contacting Subaru. Subaru said a reflash of the ECM was necessary to resolve the problem. Evidently the reflash addresses an issue with the wastegate which is the culprit of the problem.

I hav'nt noticed the problem since the reflash but I hav'nt flogged the car thoughly enough to convince myself that the problem is truly resolved.

I'll follow up on my findings at the end of the weekend.

I don't buy the "bad gas" explanation because I have reset my ECU more than once and always buy 92 octane and HIGHER if I can find it.

I have had very high octane in their for one tank, probably near 98 octane (it was a mix of two grades) and it made no difference. If it is knock, they should play with the timing in the map and fix it.

I don't understand why they fail to fix the problem. Its utterly ridiculous.

Got my car back from the dealer on Friday after they "updated the software". My car, '07 GT 5MT bone stock (9k miles), had the common problem of immediate power drop off, and general driveability issues at all rpm (dealer's term was that the car drove like a "bucking bronco"). Had the problem for as long as I can remember. I filled out the petition and had a case ID from Subaru.

I'm happy to report that as of right now, the car is back to normal (i.e. smooth, fast etc...), drove it about 300 miles over the weekend, still seems to be good. (it's like driving a totally different car)

Will update if anything changes.

I just picked up my 08 LGT, manual on Thursday. I have about 600 miles on it. It was just built. I notice a single stutter in the previously stated RPM range. I would hope that they would put the new ECU program in the cars that they are currently building.

Do you think that the "reflash" just takes it from numerous stutters, to just one. Or should I got and demand the new reflash.

-Sephon

jeez, I dont know where I posted now there are so many of these threads it seems.

Anyway, it seems to be confirmed (here anyway) that an update was released in May, yet nobody else knows it. The little Subaru Gnome planted it somewhere where only a computer hook up can find it. My 2008 LGT has a buld date of 04/07, one month shy of the update. I have an appointment next wednesday to have them hook up their computer and let it runs it course.

Guys, I am at +500 miles on my 07 since the flash and it is still really smooth. Drives like a completely different car. I think i detected a small amount of stutter the other day, but nothing really noticeable. I am so much more satisfied with this car now. Now I just need to address the suspension/tires/brakes for it to be an outstanding car.

Easton,

Would it be possible to find the PAK file number from your dealer that they used on the 07 and post it? Some dealers are having a hard time finding a file number. Tech line was of no help to my dealer but gave them a file for 08's. (which will not upload onto an 07 ECU). If your dealer has a workable file, you'd be doing a big favor to lots of 2007 owners.

That file number is 22611 AM96b (or so I am told by my dealer) for 2008's

Guys, I am at +500 miles on my 07 since the flash and it is still really smooth. Drives like a completely different car. I think i detected a small amount of stutter the other day, but nothing really noticeable. I am so much more satisfied with this car now. Now I just need to address the suspension/tires/brakes for it to be an outstanding car.

I didn't say it doesn't work....but my assdyno told me that I was down 30hp....I rather deal with the stutter.....After I went stage 1 no problems......

i would figure with all the brains around here you folks would figure out what the problem is.

Think about this.

Does a marathon runner compete with a straw in their mouth?

The problem is the cars are de-tuned

They are clogged up and the reason all the modded cars do not have this issue is they are opened up.

Less cats, bigger piping, ap, and many other thigs contribute to this.

The only solution is to modify the car.

That sucks unless you want a real fast car.

Had my '05 for about 3 tanks of gas so far - stutters really bad on part-throttle acceleration just before the turbo kicks in - much worse when it's cold. Seems to be better when it warms up. Next major service I'll ask for the reflash.

Archived