LegacyGT.com

Official Turbo Stutter Complaint Petition

Update on dealer reflash. It has been a few weeks now and i'm still glad I did it. The apparent increase in mpg I noticed was a fluke. Mpg hasn't changed. The stutter is still gone. It feels a little like the stutter turbulence was kinda smoothed out and spread out over the rpm range if you know what I mean as there is still some roughness. One new thing is that I seem to have a single hiccup upon clutch engagement especially in first gear starting from a standstill. Overall it's still a lot better than before.

But - this is all a moot point now since I just installed a cobb AP Wednesday night. Flashed stage1/93. I'll start a thread in the tuning section with my initial thoughts on this shortly.

Hanslo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So my 08 LGT 5EAT has 5500 miles no mods at all and a couple of times while passing I put the SI Drive in Sport Sharp and stepped on it to the floor as you would for passing, it downshifted fine, ran to redline and when it upshifted it dropped to 4000 rpm and then there was a noticable stutter I heard it, felt it and saw the tach reacting also. It did it for about 1 second then pulled to redline as it should. I can't seem to get it to do it when the SI Drive is in Intellgent or Sport mode, only when it is in Sport Sharp. It was almost like a miss fire. I've often felt it was surging while driving normally but figured it was just me. I'm going to have the dealer look at it during my next service but was wondering what some of you think.

My '05 GT used to do it between 4000 - 5000 RPM. It used to drive me freakin' batty! What's weird is ever since the 60k service (spark plug change) it rarely does it now (currently have 85k). Go figure??

• 3 weeks later...
Has this studder, stutter, delay in acceleration been resolved? I was planning on buying a 2008 GT Spec.B with the SI Drive but won't if it has not been resolved. Thank you to any for your help cuz i don't want to drop $30K for an irritation.

Resolved with a dealer reflash a year ago.

From what I have read, the Spec Bs have a better success rate with the reflash. I had my 07LGT reflashed at the dealer several times with no luck. I added the accessport and flashed to stage 1, and still had the studder. I then decided to see if stage 2 with TBE and AVO TMIC would solve the problem. The studder remained and then I had an overboost problem. Finally, I took it and got it tuned and it is smooth as silk. Only took me about $3000 to fix the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Has Anyone felt this stutter in stop and go traffic. I dirve my 2007 Legacy GT in NYC to and from jobsites and find myself in stop and go traffic a lot. My car has been in 3 times, all of which the technicians have recognized the stuttering but are yet to fix it. not to mention i've been banged up for over $1000 in "out of warranty" repairs serpentine belt, battery replacement, spark plugs which were $350 alone.

I did want to note that my car's stuttering happens more when you press the gas and let off it around 1000-1200 RPM's. if you step on the gas again it stutters violently, and i have even stalled twice, once on the FDR. I'm also gotten the car to stall in reverse.

I've noticed when the engine has additional load on it (A/C on, stopped looking up a hill, wheel turned all the way) the stuttering and potential to stall i smuch greater.

ANYONE have this problem?

Hey Italy12984.

I have had the same problem. Always in stop and go traffic, without question. I have not stalled yet, but it feels like it will. I have also had an issue with a surge as well, almost like a delay in the torque when I put my foot down.

My dealership in Canada Subaru Mississauga will not acknowledge that a problem exists. I’m heading down to Van Bortel Subaru to see if they can figure something out, that’s where I bought my leggy. Apparently in Canada this kind of stuff never happens. WTF. Does anyone have a dealership in the states that acknowledges the issue, that I can refer to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all... Just wanted to say that the problem definitely exists on the '09 SpecB and it definitely is much better after the re-flash. Like most of the other people here, the problem only occurred between 3k and 4k RPM under wide-open-throttle in S# mode. With mine the problem varied... Sometimes it was very obvious, other times not so much. I believe it was at its worst after shifting from 1st to 2nd with the tach needle landing around 2k RPM between gears and then continuing to accelerate through 3 - 4k RPM at WOT. At times the sudden loss of power was so severe that it would cause the car to pitch nose-down violently for a second and then nose-up again as the boost kicked in again. Frustrating and dangerous!

I was fully prepared for war when I went back to the dealer because I'd read how some of you had dealers deny the problem existed. I even printed out the 2008 TSB that I found thanks to this forum (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2229061#post2229061) and had that in the car! I had the service manager take a ride with me and as I was pulling out of the lot just merging into traffic, he said he already felt it (I barely felt it at all that time) and he said "swing it around... I know what the problem is." I then handed him the TSB and he said "Yup... that's the problem."

Apparently they've done this flash to a few LGT/SpecB and STi so this was no issue for them. (They had no less then 3 used SpecB on their lot and like 5 STi if you're looking for one btw!)

After the flash my SpecB is noticeably better. I agree with a couple of the other posts here that the problem is still detectable in a minor way... but I have not been able to get it to hiccup (pitch-dive, etc) again the way it used to. I think that the way it is now, if the car had performed like this right out of the box, I never would have noticed it as a problem. I agree that the car feels quicker now as well. No word on fuel economy... I never see more than 18mpg anyway though so I'm not the best judge. What can I say? Heavy foot. :cool:

Hey BostonSpecB-

I'm taking a 07 specB down from NH before the months' thru-could you give me the name of ur dealer just incase mine wont take care of it for me?

sounds like you got some good guys over there-and you need to work on that throttle control!! 18mpg?? haha

Yeah, a lot of my driving is around city streets so mileage could definitely be better.

The dealership is named Planet Subaru and I dealt with the service manager there. I'm currently drawing a blank on his name but I have his card at home and can update later with his info. In the meantime:

http://planetsubaru.com/

596 Washington Street, Hanover MA 02339

Good luck!

Archived