LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V1 (CLOSED)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're interested in racing, I highly recommend Code's school. I've been three times to the Superbike school, and twice to Reg Pridmore's Class school. Code's is definitely more focused toward the racing side of riding, while Reg's school is more relaxed, less regimented and focused more toward "recreational" street riding.

Code's school focuses on corner speed, and surprisingly spends very little time on braking until you get to the higher levels. You can get a lot out of reading his books if you spend time on the track working on some of the skills detailed therein.

Any kind of school will benefit your riding in ways you won't even realize until you've been. We all have bad little habits that slow us down! ;)

I'm hoping on getting a CCS race in this year depending on my time and money. Since I'm still in school, that makes it a little hard. Ever since I started getting on the track, I barely street ride so I am looking into more schools that are focused on that. I really want to take the Cornerspin class. I hear that is a lot of fun.

+1. got a little history on that beauty?

yes I do. It was bought new in 1912 by a well off man in up state NY and given to his son. The son died of lukemia and the father gave the bike to the son's best friend. the son rode the bike for years and eventually sold it to a young farm boy in the next town over. That farm boy turned 18 and was moving to the city and happened to live across the street from the farm my grandfather grew up on, and my grandfather was 14 at this time (1933). The kid was just going to lean it against the side of the barn as in 1933 a 1912 bike was already old so my grandfather asked him what he was doing with it.

The kid sold it to my grandfather for $1.50. My grandfather rode it on the dirt roads into town and around the 150 acre farm as a kid and kept it in the barn (they had a 3 or 4 story barn). He was drafted (twice actually) but after his first draft he put it in a corner in the barn and went off to war and a 10 year carrier in the army ending up as a drill instructor. In the 60s my great grandfather sold the farm and my grandfather brought the bike to his house a few towns over (where my dad grew up) and put it in a corner in the garage. 1999 my dad and I got it out, decided we needed some help from somebody with more knowledge (Harbor vintage Motors in VT) they tore every nut and bolt down and put it all back together and got it running for us.

Its all original accept for new tires and rubber hand grips. 4 and a half HP purrs what was known as "the Silent Grey Fellow." A few years back My grandfather, my dad, and I rode it together in the same afternoon. Some of the cool things that are very rare to be original are the quality of the paint and decals, The original Harley stamped leather seat, the Leather drive belt, and the deer skin front mud flap. Its ORIGINAL not restored at all. was just taken appart and cleaned (mostly with penetrating oil)

Sadly my grandfather has alshiemers (i cant spell) but thankfully it only really started to take affect a year or so ago so he got to see and ride the bike he rode on the farm as a 14 year old kid. I guess you could say its my dad's its really ours and ill take it whenever he passes or I make enough money that I have a showroom for all my toys to display it in and I hope to pass it down to my children. They said its worth at least 60k but I have no plan to sell ever even if it was worth 10 million dollars... Too much history.

I have pictures of him with the bike but they aren't digital pictures. heres one this spring of Me my dad, and my Grandfather.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/100_3377.jpg

Holy Crap! Best post ever! :eek:
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

yes I do. It was bought new in 1912 by a well off man in up state NY and given to his son. The son died of lukemia and the father gave the bike to the son's best friend. the son rode the bike for years and eventually sold it to a young farm boy in the next town over. That farm boy turned 18 and was moving to the city and happened to live across the street from the farm my grandfather grew up on, and my grandfather was 14 at this time (1933). The kid was just going to lean it against the side of the barn as in 1933 a 1912 bike was already old so my grandfather asked him what he was doing with it.

The kid sold it to my grandfather for $1.50. My grandfather rode it on the dirt roads into town and around the 150 acre farm as a kid and kept it in the barn (they had a 3 or 4 story barn). He was drafted (twice actually) but after his first draft he put it in a corner in the barn and went off to war and a 10 year carrier in the army ending up as a drill instructor. In the 60s my great grandfather sold the farm and my grandfather brought the bike to his house a few towns over (where my dad grew up) and put it in a corner in the garage. 1999 my dad and I got it out, decided we needed some help from somebody with more knowledge (Harbor vintage Motors in VT) they tore every nut and bolt down and put it all back together and got it running for us.

Its all original accept for new tires and rubber hand grips. 4 and a half HP purrs what was known as "the Silent Grey Fellow." A few years back My grandfather, my dad, and I rode it together in the same afternoon. Some of the cool things that are very rare to be original are the quality of the paint and decals, The original Harley stamped leather seat, the Leather drive belt, and the deer skin front mud flap. Its ORIGINAL not restored at all. was just taken appart and cleaned (mostly with penetrating oil)

Sadly my grandfather has alshiemers (i cant spell) but thankfully it only really started to take affect a year or so ago so he got to see and ride the bike he rode on the farm as a 14 year old kid. I guess you could say its my dad's its really ours and ill take it whenever he passes or I make enough money that I have a showroom for all my toys to display it in and I hope to pass it down to my children. They said its worth at least 60k but I have no plan to sell ever even if it was worth 10 million dollars... Too much history.

I have pictures of him with the bike but they aren't digital pictures. heres one this spring of Me my dad, and my Grandfather.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/100_3377.jpg

that is one way cool story you need to contact Harley-Davidson and tell them your story i would bet it would get published in their magazine Hog Tales or on their website @ http://www.harley-davidson.com they could also help with any questions you may have. seriously, they look for stuff like this they have a whole branch of the Motor Company that does nothing but history. American Motorcycle Ass. @ http://www.ama-cycle.org also has a museum in Ohio that may be interested in your story as well. just a thought. :lol: thanks bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

that is one way cool story you need to contact Harley-Davidson and tell them your story i would bet it would get published in their magazine Hog Tales or on their website @ www.harley-davidson.com they could also help with any questions you may have. seriously, they look for stuff like this they have a whole branch of the Motor Company that does nothing but history. American Motorcycle Ass. @ www.ama-cycle.org also has a museum in Ohio that may be interested in your story as well. just a thought. :lol: thanks bosco

we know more than harley does about the bike, funny story about that. a number of years ago (40s maybe) they had a big fire and lost a lot of the records on their old bikes (thats not the funny part). So they refirbished a bunch of their old bikes to new including a 1912. They pin striped them all blue but they did it wrong as it had red pin striping. Or maybe they did them all red and it was blue. I forget which color but same difference... My dad sent them emails in 99 and 00 when we first started work on it and nobody really helped or gave a sh*t back then. Then we took it to OLEY PA motorcycle show before having cleaned it up or re-mounting the rear wheel and we got awsome info there. everybody was so nice and happy to help. Somebody gave us a bottle of GIBBS, its the best penetrating oil type product out there. We spray it from top to bottom accept the seat and belt use two full bottles every year. You cant scrub or polish anything as you might rub off paint or decal the penetrating oil prevents any further rust and really brings out the detail in the decals

we know more than harley does about the bike,//
That is a terrific story and a terrific bike! Simple is Best, sometimes.

Here's a Boss Hoss we saw in Newport, NH. If bigger is better, you're there. Apparently the owner runs a vacuum repair shop and is well known in the area. Standard motor is a Chevy V8.

My bike and I on a ride around the Quabbin reservoir in Western MA last October, giving the "Adventure Salute."

bosshoss1.thumb.jpg.72505d6dd484d70660d0063dffc3f3f6.jpg

quabbin_adv_salute.jpg.fb4eef5fbccfe1eb5cd19d6499a741bc.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My bike and I on a ride around the Quabbin reservoir in Western MA last October, giving the "Adventure Salute."

I'm sorry, that's the patented "AZ Busas" salute (circa 2001)... ADVRider hasn't obtained official permission for its use... our lawyers will be contacting you... ;)

That's me in the middle on a ZX-12... it was pretty quick... :D

1378054150_BadBoys.JPG.4cc0ab058c3e442036ed750284b8ae06.JPG

FBlaunchjpg.JPG.a8230be5e6e9f5161667543b3c80e76b.JPG

My cafe racer project, Honda CR250R, Kawasaki ZRX1100...

I also have a custom 2000 Yamaha Blaster with a 250cc engine from a Kawasaki :D I love to fabricate.

Hey,

I have a black 2000 ZRX1100. I think I have posted pics about two months ago.

Your is beautiful. I was thinking about a megaphone exhaust as well (Kerker, Muzzy or Holeshot). I currently have a CF slipon with the Holeshot Stage2 kit.;)

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I'm sorry, that's the patented "AZ Busas" salute (circa 2001)... ADVRider hasn't obtained official permission for its use... our lawyers will be contacting you... ;)

That's me in the middle on a ZX-12... it was pretty quick... :D

Your saying the ZX-12 was pretty quick? :lol: Your too modest.

You and your posse are sitting on some serious $hit.

My friend at work has a stock '02 'Busa and when he revs to 5k it makes my Stage2 ZRX1100 sound like a dirt bike.:p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

You and your posse are sitting on some serious $hit.

My '12 was stock except for a pipe/tune and being lowered. Went mid 9's @ ~150...

The black Busa on the left held a West Coast all motor/short wheelbase record at 9.65 @180 something. My buddy who owned the bike also owned a Dyno shop in Phoenix. He's since relocated back East (much more bike drag racing), and the bike now has a turbo and runs mid 7s at over 190... now that's quick... :D

My oldy but goodie! Erion exhaust, Erion jetting, BMC filter, custom tuned. It dosnt do any one thing outstanding, it just does everything well! The first pic is of my wife on it, who plans to take it after I get a new one.

BlackonBlack, I would say if its your first bike, an R1 might not be the best choice, but as long as your easy on the throttle, you should be ok! Speedwise, the newer 600s are doing what the liter bikes where doing 5 years ago, and they are just as much fun. But one good thing about getting a liter bike first is that you dont lose any money when you feel like you need a faster bike! Oh, and make sure you get a used one if its your first, you wont cry as hard when you drop it, cause you will.:lol: My next bike I want an RC-51, I frickin love that V-twin sound with a good set of pipes!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/dannyboy7_2006/DSC00756.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/dannyboy7_2006/DSC00329.jpg

This is my bike the 2007 yamaha yzf-r6. But my bike is charcoal grey and black.. I am just using this picture to show you my exahust. I have an Jardine GP-1 Slip-on, and a K&N drop in filter, fender eliminator kit. http://www.jardineproducts.com/ecom/images/product/717.35.600x400.18-2009-723-02_02.jpg

This is what my bike looked like stock

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/content/images/600/07r6_black_1_53b04391.jpg

13.6 @ 102 untuned FTW

SmartWax - Spec Clutch - Team Scp 1

http://newenglandsubarus.com/

I want an 05-07 R1 so bad got my motercycle permit need to put it to use

like danyboy said. start with a 600. I learned on a 250 then bought a 94 FZR600RR then i bought an 07 Yamaha YZF-R6. I do recommend buying an R6 You really cant go wrong with that purchase its comfortable, still some what forgiving, and if your not into pushing the limits as far as bikes go then then r6 is for you. It has plenty of untapped power that you can use when you want it. Look at it this was if you have ridden a bike before you need to find yourself something that you wont get bored with 2 weeks after you purchase it. Thats why i bought the r6 you can push the bike as little or as hard as you want without performance sacrifice. I hope i have been of some help to you. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me.

13.6 @ 102 untuned FTW

SmartWax - Spec Clutch - Team Scp 1

http://newenglandsubarus.com/

+1 on the recommendations to start small. Just got your permit and wanna start on a 600cc 11 second bike???? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Hate to be honest but if you haven't been riding off road bikes, mini-bikes, scooters or whatever for a few years or have some other form of experience, there's a good chance you're gonna hurt someone or drop the bike at the very least. I started in the 70's (at 8 or 9) on Cubs and CT70's. "Graduated" to 50cc scooters like Honda Express/Urban Express, then MB50's, CR80's, 250's, then escalating street bikes. Point is, work your way up, seriously. On top of that, take the MSF course. It's well worth it.

<Flame on>

:p

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived