LegacyGT.com

The 2008 Legacy GT - Impressions / Test Drive / Pictures (56k no-no)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you actually in the market for a new car, or just test driving for kicks ?

It's nice, but then it's new, I don't see anything there that would make me want to trade in my '05 for one.

Yes and yes.

Go drive one.

bah. i'm not as enthused as the original poster. I mean, a new grill, tweaks to the instruments, slightly different seats/interior, stupid SI drive, and fuggin' ugly fuggin fog lights and wtf is with the things in the bumper? LOL that is so retarded.

I suppose I should be glad Subaru didn't ugli-fy the Legacy as much as it's other cars though. I could still tolerate it.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I talked to Kalei for you, atleast I got to take a look at the 08 spec b while I was there and I wanted to see if my parts were in yet.

$27k for a base model. I don't see invoice pricing for the 08's yet on edmunds, but that is right at invoice for a 07. Oh, That was for a 5eat though, not sure if you wanted auto/manual.

I talked to Kalei for you, atleast I got to take a look at the 08 spec b while I was there and I wanted to see if my parts were in yet.

$27k for a base model. I don't see invoice pricing for the 08's yet on edmunds, but that is right at invoice for a 07. Oh, That was for a 5eat though, not sure if you wanted auto/manual.

yeah auto only. Wife has got to drive the car too. ;)

yeah auto only. Wife has got to drive the car too. ;)

Teach the wife to drive the manual.

otherwise you end up like my sister who has to sell her car because her husband refuses to learn. Lame....but I suppose if you didnt own....fuel economy is my point.

how was the new steering wheel feel compared to the old one? more specifically i'm talking about the TELESCOPING ones they said that they would add for this year...

It wasn't too bad. It moved in and out as needed.

However as I was driving my car today I noticed the leather wheel on my car has a lot better grip than the "leather" steering wheel on the '08.

Also worth note, the '08 has ditched the "Momo" wheel for a generic leather one.

For those of you who hate wood in the car, my 2003 Outback had a 4 spoke steering wheel with wood at the top and bottom, like the one in this pic:

<snip>

Much better surface to grip than any leather wheel I have driven with. Too bad they went with a 3 spoke design and limited the wood to the H6 Outbacks. :(

I think the LGT Momo wheel is one of the best looking ones out there. Much better than a 4 spoke wheel. Not really a fan of wood trim either.

What makes the 08 wheel have better grip? Is the leather perforated on the 08? Or is it just a different type of leather?

Thanks for the review, SWP!

I swung by the showroom on Sat. when we picked up my wife's OBXT from it's 30k service. I checked out an 08 2.5 SE that they had on display. The leather on the bolsters is the same leather as the 07s. I hope the steering wheel on the 2.5 SE is not the same as the GT. It was awful!

I am somewhat mystified, as are others, as to why you are as bullish on the 08 as you are. I love the grill, and the rear is growing on me, but the front bumper is disappointing and there isn't really much new from 07 in terms of substance.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

The front bumper sways me from it, but what really turns me off is the sharp edge on the front fender. Personally I think the 08's have a nice rear end.

I will get flamed for this, but personally I think the 07 spec b is the best lgt to date. The 08 front end is ugly, the wheels are ugly (in pics, the look better in person but I still like our wheels), the interior is all black.

What is nice about it though it the telescoping wheel, the si-drive on the steering wheel and the tail lights / rear bumper. I waited months for the info on the 08's to come out, as soon as I saw the pics from the canada auto show I bought my 07. A BBK or HID standard would have been the only things that could have convinced me to go 08.

Thanks for the review. I like where the car is headed in terms of styling... I really like the '08 (JDM) wagon styling, but I wouldn't trade in my 05 wagon for a new one either, even if I had more money than brains, and wanted some of the accessory upgrades like better head unit, and steering wheel.

But for all these OEM changes, I can get better aftermarket stuff down the road anyway.

These mamby-pamby wheels have got to go though... who the hell took sleeping pills right before they designed them? Boring!!

Archived