LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

Well i know for one when the kit comes out i will be buying it......bc i want a turbo kit for my car the only thing that may pose a problem is money...but i will say this if i have the money when it comes out i will buy it and if i dont i will save it and buy it so now you guys have one guinea pig lol

Thanks!

Remember guys these kits will tuned via Accessport and the mapping will be approved by Cobb. AVO makes the highest quality components and we have been building similar kits for years now. There will be no safety / reliability issues. We are large companies with ALOT of experience in this field. :)

So no one will actually be a 'guinnea pig'... LOL :cool:

Sean S.

http://www.RalliTEK.com

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks!

Remember guys these kits will tuned via Accessport and the mapping will be approved by Cobb. AVO makes the highest quality components and we have been building similar kits for years now. There will be no safety / reliability issues. We are large companies with ALOT of experience in this field. :)

So no one will actually be a 'guinnea pig'... LOL :cool:

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

Thats right you tell them no need for a test subject. :rolleyes::) Im thinking more along the lines of what will this kit do if i want to sell my car do I sell it with the turbo or take it off and never say a word you know? I like this kit more and more and every since i got the clarification from Sean not to mention seen their stuff in action i would buy this kits and to the guy earlier you wont have 270 whp or crank hp for that matter but you maay get 220-225 whp and with the approved mapps from cobb one can only be more assured. I think that will be a big marketing tool for this kit the reliability factor b/c if you have a warranty and you want this you dont want it to blow your motor or cause harm in a major way so knowing that the power players are on baord makes me feel better granted if I had the kit I would never run it over the known safe boost amount. But let me tell you I heard one of the AVO kits on a GC8 the other day and WOW:eek:

I want some videos!

eekay, did you install it yourself or get a shop to install it for you?

How hard would it be to install it?

I am gonna start saving up money for the prerequisite parts right now lol

I installed the kit with a friend at his garage. The install was actually quite simple but a lot of work due to the kit not being made for my exact model. However, the modifications were fairly mundane (if you know even a little bit about engines) and of course Sean helped /TONS/ if I had any questions or worries.

I'm assuming you're not talking about the exact kit I installed either, but I can assure you that the kit is completely DIY with proper instructions.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

OK - while DarkOblivion is changing his boxers :lol:, I have a new question!

I am curious if there would be any issues running this kit with a PZEV Legacy. I cannot think of any immediate issues off the top of my head, but I am just wondering if this is something that has been considered.

Ya, you guys have gotten me all hyped up over this kit...seriously lol. I'm seriously starting to consider this kit, i mean, I'm keeping the 2.5i for as long as I possibly can, so this will be perfect. I keep hearing everyone say just trade in for a LGT if you want more power. Yeah, thats one option, but I love my car. I've had a lot of experiences in this car :lol:, its got sentimental value :wub: ...and to think, i was so close to selling it a few months ago.

I can't wait to see what a front mount will look like on a 2.5i. I just want to cut out that little piece of the bumber underneath the front license plate first.

LOL Yo I just read the entire thread for the first time, and it was hilarious how GEE-OTTO started out all like, it's not worth it i'm a naysayer don't get this kit go get a GT blah blah and then as soon as he heard 255hp, he was all like WHOA NOBODY TOLD ME DAT OMG I MUST HAVE lol!!

But ya, I second that Pawlwawl, I am pretty attached to my car now... I would not trade it for a 370Z, much less for a LGT. Maybe for a lambo...

I am so excited for a 255hp sleeper! I think the 2.5i looks so smooth and elegant compared to the LGT with the hood scoop. Something about the hood scoop just screams, "I have power and I have to show it off".

Pawlwawl, I think I'm going to take off my license and tie it to my passenger side ummmmm whatchamacallits the things that fold down. I don't want that piece of metal blocking my bumper anymore... Hope the cops don't get me lol.

So the FMIC will fit under our bumper no problem? No need for a new bumper or anything?

yeah i'd never trade my 2.5i, i kinda wish i bought a LGT in the first place, but it is what it is, i'd trade it for a 335xi though :) but think of it, with this turbo kit, you'll have the power of an LGT, and saving money on insurance!

Yea I love my 2.5i now... The more I look at it and the more stuff I stick on it (CF Grille FTW!) the more i love it!

For any of you that are upgrading to Stage I clutch/flywheel, if you upgrade the clutch, do you have to upgrade the flywheel? Is ACT as reputable as Exedy?

I was looking at this kit:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

The price seems to be much lower than the exedy clutch and flywheel.

yeah the insurance difference isnt that much for me being over 25 btwn the two cars but the fact that you can get the power and be uber sleep-tastic is attractive throw a set of LGT wheels and damn youll be turning heads all the time

From Sean earlier in the thread:

We will have mapping for premium pump gas and E85. E85 is 105 octane and allows for much higher boost and power levels. Pump Gas kits will run approx 225whp/250lbft and E85 will allow approx 275whp/350lbft with complete safety. All mapping will be approved by Cobb so you can be assured your car will run properly and safely!

From the other thread about aftermarket clutches:

me:

Ok thanks, Rallitek and AVO are developing a turbo kit for the 2.5i, so a stage 1 clutch kit is going to be required for it. Just wanted to make sure, in case some of us decide to go with the turbo kit and require a stronger clutch.

exedy:

The stage one is only rated for 196 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels. Check to make sure the turbo kit doesn't make more torque than that. I am working on a stage 3 hyper single at the moment for the 2.5 NT engine to accommodate a turbo kit and or WRX or STI swap.

So we need a ... stage 2? stage 3 clutch kit?

I would go with the Heavy duty LGT clutch PP LWFW TOB kit if you plan to get this kit to be safe and future proof your car in case you do things to make more power. I know the ACT PP Clutch kits will hold up to 400lb/ft of torque im sure this kit wont put that much out.

My concern would be the E85 can our engine seals, valves etc handle that stuff ?????

what would we be doing to make more power? I thought we were warned not to try to enhance our turbo kits. Sure, you can go aftermarket with exhaust and intake, which will be awesome once we get our accessport, but what else is available? I guess engine internals, but I'll worry about that when I'm in need of a new engine/engine rebuild.

I would go with the Heavy duty LGT clutch PP LWFW TOB kit if you plan to get this kit to be safe and future proof your car in case you do things to make more power. I know the ACT PP Clutch kits will hold up to 400lb/ft of torque im sure this kit wont put that much out.

My concern would be the E85 can our engine seals, valves etc handle that stuff ?????

Does that mean all clutch kits for the LGT fit our car as well?

If so, couldn't we just get that ACT clutch kit I linked; holds up to 420lb/ft torque.

I'm not sure if this thread is correct, but according to this site, it takes much more than Stage I to get to being able to handle 350ft lbs torque

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/subaru_racing_legacy.htm

This thread comes to the same conclusion as the other thread about clutch kits; that our part number is 15-801, but it says that clutch can only handle 196 ftlbs torque.

Just talked to the guy at FredBeans, that ACT clutch is not compatible with our 2.5i's... So if Sean was correct in saying we need a clutch that supports 350ftlbs, we're SOL... only thing available to us right now looks like that stage I kit... at least that I could find.

what would we be doing to make more power? I thought we were warned not to try to enhance our turbo kits. Sure, you can go aftermarket with exhaust and intake, which will be awesome once we get our accessport, but what else is available? I guess engine internals, but I'll worry about that when I'm in need of a new engine/engine rebuild.

im talking about supporting mods intake/exhaust pulleys etc that would add to the power,... internals will probably be out of the question for most people since most will stay within the limits of our engines and not try to go boost crazy

You know, although thinking about it, it doesn't make sense that we would need a clutch that supports 350ftlbs of torque... Even with this turbo kit we won't have the torque of a Stage I LGT would we? :spin:

Confused... Sean shed some light on this for us please?

Dude the splines on a LGT and a 2.5i trans are the same so the clutch PP kits should be able to fit the output shaft bolt pattern is the same as well so the LGT clutches ought to fit our cars and the stock clutch can hold 300 WHP and this kits wont be near that so that my help out some

Throwing my 2 cents into this thread...

The 2.5i along with all other N/A Legacy's use a PUSH type clutch, whereas the LGT, WRX, FXT, etc. use a PULL type clutch. Without changing anything else, you cannot use a pull type on a push type car without changing the transmission altogether.

As far as what type of clutch, the ACT Heavy Duty (SB2-HDSS) and Exedy Stage 1 (15801) use the exact same clutch disk, only the pressure plates differ. Either one should be good up to around 300wtq, which by then you might want to consider just upgrading the tranny itself. Unfortunately, (and as already stated) ACT does not list the SB2-HDSS to work with 05+ 2.5i Legacy's, but it definitely does work for the earlier models.

I've had my eye on the AVO kit for a while. I might be able to buy if it comes down in price sometime in the next few years, but until then, I'll stick with less chance for tickets and 32mpg ;)

Archived