LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

Its like in their effort to redesign the Impreza they forgot about the Forester. Almost like someone walked in after the high fives and said "Ok what about the Forester" and everyone in the room went "Oh sh*t! Quick lets do a Detroit. Alter slightly everything they can see but keep the same crap underneath".

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its like in their effort to redesign the Impreza they forgot about the Forester. Almost like someone walked in after the high fives and said "Ok what about the Forester" and everyone in the room went "Oh sh*t! Quick lets do a Detroit. Alter slightly everything they can see but keep the same crap underneath".

They've been working on it for a while now. A few UK owners were shown a prototype several months ago.

As it stands now, I am very likely to consider the new Forester XT as my next vehicle - as long as it comes with both automatic and navigation, and they improved the seats making them far more comfortable than the '07 FXT.

Price-wise - it would be about the price of my Legacy, and the thicker tires make for smoother driving on the terrible roads around here. I also don't want to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission. It wouldn't make sense for me.

I don't know if the 07 and 04 used the same seats in the XT's, but the 04 FXT's were fairly comfortable, although the lumbar support could have been more aggresive, IMO.

My traded 04 FXT has set on the dealer's lot for almost 3 months now and when I spoke to the salesman he said there's been plenty of interest until people see a 4 spd auto and an EPA rating (which is overly optimistic to say the least) of 17/23.

There's a message to Subaru in there somewhere.

Name another car that offers a 4 speed auto. Even Hyundais have 5 speed autos :lol:

You know what worries me. These WRX and the XT not having 5 speed transmissions makes me think that they are waiting so that they can put a CVT in them. CVTs belong in N/A slow cars. Not fun ones.

You know what worries me. These WRX and the XT not having 5 speed transmissions makes me think that they are waiting so that they can put a CVT in them. CVTs belong in N/A slow cars. Not fun ones.

A fear shared by many others........

Guest heightsgtltd

yeah...ugh

At this point, I see no reason to give Subaru repeat business when I replace my 05.

I hope by some strange twist of fate the new Legacy won't be as f*cked up as the rest of the line

I got a survey from SOA yesterday about technologies that improve fuel efficiency and the affect on performance. They asked about different transmission choices and whether I would pay a premium for each: CVT (Hell No), 6-8 speed auto (yes), DSG (hell yeah!!).

Most of GM's product line. They are slowly switching things to 5 and 6 speed autos.

Keyword: slowly.

Its been when Subaru is behind them. Gotta be CVTs on the way......hmmm....CVT for hybrid? Me likely. Not that I would buy it without a MT anyway.

Keyword: slowly.

Its been when Subaru is behind them. Gotta be CVTs on the way......hmmm....CVT for hybrid? Me likely. Not that I would buy it without a MT anyway.

The thing with Subaru is, they make one transmission, and they can drop it in half of their vehicles. The other half already have the 5EAT. GM is massive, and there are hundreds of cars and trucks they have. All Subaru needs to do is make one and they are set with the entire Impreza and Forester line. The Legacy/Outback/Tribeca already have the second generation of the 5EAT.

/

The thing with Subaru is, they make one transmission, and they can drop it in half of their vehicles. The other half already have the 5EAT. GM is massive, and there are hundreds of cars and trucks they have. All Subaru needs to do is make one and they are set with the entire Impreza and Forester line. The Legacy/Outback/Tribeca already have the second generation of the 5EAT.

/

I believe it was confirmed that they are bringing back the CVT. Got nothing against the 5EAT. Don't understand why its not in more cars. Unless they just have a bunch of 4EAT sitting around that they dont know what to do with.

I really like the looks of this! It really needs a 5EAT that is the standard among the competition now.

I spent all afternoon test driving small utes with my boss, he decided he needs to buy his wife a small snow ute. She has a Z4 and its a roller skate this time of year

I couldn't get him to even look at the Forester due to the size and crappy interior too bad this won't be out sooner I think they have a market share to regrab.

We drove a RAV 4 V6 Limited, nice exterior, nice engine fun to drive, rides nice, but the interior is small and uncomfortable for its size. The seat doesn't go back far enough for the driver anyone over 5"10" will be cramped. The seats were hard and had the typical Toyota cheap plastic.

The CR-V is a much better built car than the RAV 4 it just felt like more quality and solid. Low road noise in comparision to the RAV 4, the exterior is more stylish can't decide if I like the grill much its definatly all about the color on this one. The interior is light years ahead plush leather, soft supportive seats, heated seats, nav, just more creature features. Low side was only a 4 banger that is adequate but it could use a V6 option. Biggest problem is availability.

Tomorrow we are going to look at the Escape that's what she had for her last snow season small ute but turned it in on a lease back in March. She loved it and may be the choice due to availablity of colors, options, and hybrid we shall see.

Hope to try and get him to at least look at a Forester LL Bean and a CX-7 but I doubt it'll happen.

Archived