LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

Great, so after reading that thread, I am now not going to buy a new forester, already not buying a wrx, and if these two are any indications, the new LGT will be shite as well :(

They better not mess up the Legacy! That's their bread & butter line, and the only one I'm interested in (for now). I sure hope they don't ruin it.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 2005 Legacy and driveing it is the most fum I have ever had with my clothes on. It out performs my SCCA "D" production racer in the 70's But now I am a "senior Citizen" in my "golden years" on on some days it barely beats the alturnative. I am having some issues getting in and out of my Subby Legacy due to a back injury. I am considering moving to a Forester GTX in 2010. It should be easer to get in and out of. However I hear romers that Subaru is phasing out Wagons. My 2005 Legacy may become a treasure. Who has some idea of what is going to become of the Legasy and the Forester when my baby reaches it's fifth birthday?:confused:

Ah I see. Didn't read the article fully.

Well what I mean then is that it is using all JDM Outback parts. Grille, front bumper, taillights, rear trunklid, rear bumper. The rear doors are what seems to be extended. Notice the location of the door handles.

BTW notice the last two pics I attached. Different wheels.

-ben

According to the folks in the Uk who have seen the new Forester, it has a look similar to this:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/roxjohn/subie%20stuff/nc-20070831-59839.jpg

Although, the waistline is horizontal and not sloped as the above pic.

Also:

Car we saw had framed doors, much more sculptured, creased bonnet (hood) , not a drop snout look, and body line between the wheel arches was pulled in, a waisted look.

I would have to agree with Mike and Kostamojen - it is way too late in the product lifecycle to be the Forrester in development. Sure, Brenda Priddy and co seem to think it is the next Forrester , but why would they make the Forrester longer and wider than the Outback and nearly as large as the Tribecca? I would think that they would intend for the Forrester to compete with the small-medium midsized set (Rav4, CRV, etc.) otherwise, it would cannibalize sales of the larger models. If this is the next gen outback, lets hope they dont increase the size of the Legacy this much.

Looking at the way the rear tire is up against the front of the wheel well, it appears that they stretched the body just a little too much (if it's a drivetrain mule). If it is indeed a three-inch stretch on the body, the wheelbase seems to indicate something less than that.

Maybe it's just meant to throw us off?

Is it remotely possible that it's a drivetrain mule for the Forester that's been around for a while? Just because we only saw it now, doesn't mean it was just made. I know it's a stretch, but it could be an old mule.

Hellz yeah - that video just reminded me of another feature I would love on the LGT that we will probably never get - adjustible center diff. Imagine being able to send even more power to the rear for some tail happy fun. If the next gen forrester is going to be this large beast, I doubt anybody will be having as much fun with an STi version like our hot car-squealing friend Vicki...

Is it remotely possible that it's a drivetrain mule for the Forester that's been around for a while? Just because we only saw it now, doesn't mean it was just made. I know it's a stretch, but it could be an old mule.

Yes. I saw somewhere that Brenda Priddy (who took the photo) admitted that she first saw and photographed this mule a year ago, but didn't pay too much attention to it then because she was hunting for new WRX's, and only realized what it must be when she saw it again and took these more recent photos.

I know Subaru has done a lot of questionable things here recently, but I don't see how they could build a vehicle bigger than an OB and still call it a Forester.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Yes. I saw somewhere that Brenda Priddy (who took the photo) admitted that she first saw and photographed this mule a year ago, but didn't pay too much attention to it then because she was hunting for new WRX's, and only realized what it must be when she saw it again and took these more recent photos.

I know Subaru has done a lot of questionable things here recently, but I don't see how they could build a vehicle bigger than an OB and still call it a Forester.

Just some thoughts here: We know the Legacy/Outback are moving to the Tribeca platform, so we know They're getting a longer wheelbase.

I seem to remember hearing that the Forester may also be moving to the Tribeca platform too, so this could be either a Legacy/Outback mule or a Forester mule.

Based on those tidbits, I'm betting that the next Tribeca will grow in size. I suppose that's a really obvious expectation, since vehicles rarely shrink, but that would again differentiate between the Forester and Tribeca, while giving a little extra legroom in the 'Beca for the third row seats.

I presume the model change for the Tribeca is 2011 or 2012? Subaru seems to like 5-year product cycles, so 2011 looks likely, unless lower annual sales would make them draw out the current model for an extra year.

I’d welcome a car that had the power, amenities and ride of a Legacy with the height and headroom of a Forester. Old folks have a hard time with rough rides and low in and out (I’m about 6’3”). The Hilander or Acura have the height but not the zip of a Legacy. I look at my car and it looks like it ids going 75MPH when it is parked. And blowing the doors of Porches and BeeMers always makes my blood churn.

according to the guys in UK, the new Forester looked like a bloated soft SUV (e.g., Hyundai veracruz).

So I think the days of the Forester being what it is are long gone

Might be a welcome change...unless it looks anything like the new Impreza. Then I will just cry.

....Its looking more promissing that I will one day hand my keys over to a Toyota dealer.:cool:...or maybe Ill get a new Camaro. ....yeah, cars in available in red or yellow. No way!

Archived