LegacyGT.com

05 LGT "studdering" during low speed acceleration.

Driver72

Does your LGT "studder"  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Does your LGT "studder"

• Yes it does and quite often
    • Yes it does but just occasionally
    • A couple times at first, but it's DEFINITELY gone away.
    • Never has, accelerates perfectly smooth everytime.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='pltdsubaru']Remove The Airbox Damper, It Eliminates All Hesitation And Studdering[/QUOTE] I have done a search of the whole forum on 'airbox damper'. Your post is the only one to come up. What is the airbox damper? Are you talking about the intake silencer/ resevoir box under the air intake box? Many of us have removed that thanks to Jedi's removal post, including me. I can currently get studder whenever I like, I just have to be at a certain speed in a certain gear and it shows up... Please let us all know.

I assume this problem is specific to turbos? I have a normal 2.5i, and get two types of problems, as I see it. One is first thing on a cold start, after maybe 1-2 mins running, occasionally on the first half open throttle, it just bogs down badly, no response at all, stumble, then clears after 5-10 seconds, and doesnt occur again. Other times, after 15-20mins running, in traffic, if I open the throttle at say 1000rpm, I get a very non linear response - slow acceleration until 2k, then it comes in like a turbo. It feels like the fly-by-wire is saying "no, there's no power down there, dont open as much as the pedal indicates he wants yet, we'll wait until it gets past 2k........., then open up quickly" . Of course nobody at dealer belives it, and I havent been able to establish a routine to reliably reproduce it so far... jp

I presume everyone has seen this thread...[url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254[/url]. SOA definitely has a fix out and most dealers are aware or are quickly becoming aware of both the issue and the fix. I take mine in on Monday for the reflash. Will let everyone know how it goes. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subietonic']I presume everyone has seen this thread...[url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254[/url]. SOA definitely has a fix out and most dealers are aware or are quickly becoming aware of both the issue and the fix. I take mine in on Monday for the reflash. Will let everyone know how it goes. SBT[/QUOTE] Thanks SBT. I had seen the official sticky post. It is just a little unfortunate that the car has to be handed over to my dealer for an undetermined amount of time, and I don't see a loaner car as part of the deal. When I can part with my car for a week, I'll be taking it in.

Just FYI... if your car does qualify for the flash, the dealership will provide a loaner - either a Subaru loaner or a rental. I have my LGT 5MT at the dealer as of this morning (started this process 2 days ago) waiting for the fix... and they gave me an 05 Legacy 2.5i 4EAT loaner. Just be aware that they do have to first duplicate the issue, then they have to send some information into SOA to get corporate approval and confirmation that your car is affected by this problem before they will actually take the car in for the fix. So... 2 days ago I called and made an appointment to go in yesterday morning to have the problem reproduced... and then I left the dealership (in my car) after they faxed in the info to SOA. They called back yesterday afternoon to let me know that SOA had authorized the reflash and to bring in the car this morning.. so I brought my car back in this morning... and here we are. I'll post an update Friday evening... when the car is supposed to have the ECU back and be fixed. Cross your fingers everybody!

I have been experiencing the same problem as most with the "surging" and "hesitations" w/ my 05 LGT 5MT. However, since on the other thread regarding this issue ([url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=19&pp=10"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=19&pp=10[/url]) A few people have already sent in the car for a new ECU and got it back with NOT a complete fix of the issue. However, several people have referred to exchanging the stock ECU with one from COBB. If someone could explain exactly what this COBB ECU is/does, how much it costs, and if it voids warranty, etc. I would really appreciate it......and if it even fixes this completely. Because if it does I wouldnt even both with dealing with SOA and my dealership. Appreciate it....not to familiar with COBB. THanks, Joe.

[quote name='smkscrn']I have been experiencing the same problem as most with the "surging" and "hesitations" w/ my 05 LGT 5MT. However, since on the other thread regarding this issue ([url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=19&pp=10"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=19&pp=10[/url]) A few people have already sent in the car for a new ECU and got it back with NOT a complete fix of the issue. However, several people have referred to exchanging the stock ECU with one from COBB. If someone could explain exactly what this COBB ECU is/does, how much it costs, and if it voids warranty, etc. I would really appreciate it......and if it even fixes this completely. Because if it does I wouldnt even both with dealing with SOA and my dealership. Appreciate it....not to familiar with COBB. THanks, Joe.[/QUOTE] Go to cobbtuning.com All the answers are there.

[quote name='jp928']I assume this problem is specific to turbos? I have a normal 2.5i, and get two types of problems, as I see it. One is first thing on a cold start, after maybe 1-2 mins running, occasionally on the first half open throttle, it just bogs down badly, no response at all, stumble, then clears after 5-10 seconds, and doesnt occur again. Other times, after 15-20mins running, in traffic, if I open the throttle at say 1000rpm, I get a very non linear response - slow acceleration until 2k, then it comes in like a turbo. It feels like the fly-by-wire is saying "no, there's no power down there, dont open as much as the pedal indicates he wants yet, we'll wait until it gets past 2k........., then open up quickly" . Of course nobody at dealer belives it, and I havent been able to establish a routine to reliably reproduce it so far... jp[/QUOTE] That is exactly what my car, a turbo, does.

My LGT had a slight stutter, so I brought it in. I was happy when they sent the ECU off automatically, as if they were aware of the issue. I called in today to check up on it, four days later. The problem GOT WORSE with the newly programmed ECU. He said it was a violent problem now, and they have no idea what caused it. To go along with the constant drift to the right that has been unfixable the last three times I've brought it in, I am getting very upset with the mechanical quality of this car.

Hey, Florida has an good Lemon Law. Constant drift to the right seems like a safety issue to me, you have brought your car in three times already for this. Check out the brochure that came with the car, there is a certain time frame and mileage you need to be under for you to qualify. If you qualify and start the procedure, Subaru will get another chance to fix your car.

So I've had the car now for almost a week, and 1 full tank of gas. I do have the studder, but it's not really that bad. My WRX behaved much more "shady" when the A/C was cranking. I guess I'm just not sure what the whole big deal is about. It's there, but you have to make it happen. Am I that different than all the others? also, according to this thread, the US must be in the middle of a GIANT bad gas epidemic. lol I've never heard some many people talk about "bad gas" "bad gas" is extrememly rare where i come from (Boston?). maybe it's a regional thing. Or maybe you're all just psychos. :p dR

dR - Where in boston are you and what dealership did you bring your LGT to to get your ECU swapped out??? I work in the north shore (lynnfield) and bought my LGT from a place in NH where i live, AMD Subaru. I have an apointment on THURSDAY to get this thing looked at.... joe

[quote name='smkscrn']dR - Where in boston are you and what dealership did you bring your LGT to to get your ECU swapped out??? I work in the north shore (lynnfield) and bought my LGT from a place in NH where i live, AMD Subaru. I have an apointment on THURSDAY to get this thing looked at.... joe[/QUOTE] I haven't, and don't plan to have mine reflashed by SOA. I'm in Waltham, MA, work in Boston.

[quote name='jt51']Hey, Florida has an good Lemon Law. Constant drift to the right seems like a safety issue to me, you have brought your car in three times already for this. Check out the brochure that came with the car, there is a certain time frame and mileage you need to be under for you to qualify. If you qualify and start the procedure, Subaru will get another chance to fix your car.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the information...they have it right now and think they are going to get it resolved with a new alingment shop they are trying. I doubt it. I may have to bring up the Lemon Law issue if it's not fixed. The only problem - I have already spent a good deal of money on tint, stereo installation, oil, wax, etc. I'll lose all that if I go after the Lemon Law thing...I know a new car would beat having one that always pulls to the right, but I am going to give them just a bit longer.

[quote name='Erickson00']My LGT had a slight stutter, so I brought it in. I was happy when they sent the ECU off automatically, as if they were aware of the issue. I called in today to check up on it, four days later. The problem GOT WORSE with the newly programmed ECU. He said it was a violent problem now, and they have no idea what caused it. To go along with the constant drift to the right that has been unfixable the last three times I've brought it in, I am getting very upset with the mechanical quality of this car.[/QUOTE] Subaru of Jacksonville decided to get me a new ECM, but they installed one for an automatic. A new one is on order. This is a week and a half without my car. I miss the turbo! I am stuck with a 2006 LL Bean Forrester. I feel like I should have some kind of soccer mom bumper sticker on the car. It's too slow...

Just a note for all of you who are going to get your car's ECU reflashed. Take your car to the dealer ahead of time and let them pull the ECU ID numbers and build date off your car so they can fax the information to SOA for authorization ahead of time. If you drop off your car without this, you're possibly looking at 1-2 days addtional while SOA authorizes the reflash. For those who have to drive a ways to drop off their car, I understand that this might not be practical. Good luck. So far, good success with mine link here...starting with post #294 [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=30&pp=10"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=30&pp=10[/url] SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Erickson00']Thanks for the information...they have it right now and think they are going to get it resolved with a new alingment shop they are trying. I doubt it. I may have to bring up the Lemon Law issue if it's not fixed. The only problem - I have already spent a good deal of money on tint, stereo installation, oil, wax, etc. I'll lose all that if I go after the Lemon Law thing...I know a new car would beat having one that always pulls to the right, but I am going to give them just a bit longer.[/QUOTE] Unless Florida has changed it's Laws, everything you put into your car that would not effect it's warranty would be reimbursed. More importantly, after the third incident of the same problem I would still file with the State, so you would have that protection. If the problem still occurs SOA still has the opportunity to fix it one more time, it is then up to you whether you want to go on or not. If they can not fix it, after you file the paper work, three times minimum for the same problem, they get another chance to fix it, why give them the option with more than 4 chances to fix the car, meaning if you file the paper work after 4 or more times, SOA still gets one more chance to fix it. If you like the car, give yourself the option, don't give it away to SOA. I hope this makes sense.

[quote name='jt51']Unless Florida has changed it's Laws, everything you put into your car that would not effect it's warranty would be reimbursed. More importantly, after the third incident of the same problem I would still file with the State, so you would have that protection. If the problem still occurs SOA still has the opportunity to fix it one more time, it is then up to you whether you want to go on or not. If they can not fix it, after you file the paper work, three times minimum for the same problem, they get another chance to fix it, why give them the option with more than 4 chances to fix the car, meaning if you file the paper work after 4 or more times, SOA still gets one more chance to fix it. If you like the car, give yourself the option, don't give it away to SOA. I hope this makes sense.[/QUOTE] It still pulls to the right. I called SOJax today and told them that I was going to file lemon paperwork next week, so they'd better think quick. I told them no hard feelings, thanks for all your help, but I've got to get this fixed. The most recent alignment they performed showed the car to be within specs in all measurements. Why it still drifts to the right...who knows. In any case, I want to maintain a friendly relationship with them so they will be easer to deal with if I need to swap cars should this one be deemed a lemon. And if not, and they fix the problem, I want a smooth relationship with them in the future as well. So they're getting one more shot, and if they don't have a solution by next Thursday, I am going to file the paperwork.

Archived