LegacyGT.com

05 LGT "studdering" during low speed acceleration.

Driver72

Does your LGT "studder"  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Does your LGT "studder"

• Yes it does and quite often
    • Yes it does but just occasionally
    • A couple times at first, but it's DEFINITELY gone away.
    • Never has, accelerates perfectly smooth everytime.

[b]Erickson00[/b] [b]Realize that when you file the paperwork and are accepted that you still have to give SOA one more shot. So, if you give another chance now, then file the paperwork, you will again have to give them one more chance.[/b]

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I just picked up mine yesterday and on the way home on the highway (roughly 75-80mph) I felt the car "wandering" to the right! I also had some steering wheel shake at that speed that seemed not right. I think I'm also experiencing the infamous throttle shutter. Granted my car only has 150 miles on it but none of this should be happening as far as I'm concerned. To be honest I'm kind of regretting my purchase. It just feels like something isnt right with this car. Oh by the way I'm also a former subaru owner (2001 2.5RS impreza) so I would be biased to look past any negative aspects of this car but it seems too new to be having these"hiccups." Any information or "emotional support" ;) you guys could help me with would be great. ~ Gary

[quote name='dark_rex']also, according to this thread, the US must be in the middle of a GIANT bad gas epidemic. lol I've never heard some many people talk about "bad gas" "bad gas" is extrememly rare where i come from (Boston?). maybe it's a regional thing.[/QUOTE] ...I wonder how many stations are only buying low grade gas and filling all of their tanks with it in order to make a greater profit.... Selling 87 octane for the premium price...I'll bet it's very common...

Question for Opie and all those who got the hestiation-fix reflash, Did the car feel any different except for the stuttering part after the reflash? Like slower, less responsive? Could SoA go as far as to actually detune the engine in some parts of the powerband to reduce the hesitation?
I keed I keeed

Everything about the car feels smoother, not less powerful. But I've not run it up through the revs/gears to see if there's any butt dyno changes. It still feels strong once into lower revs and boost so dunno... SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I felt some hesitation yesterday with the AC on, in second gear at around 2,500 RPM, halfway down on the gas in stop and go traffic. Then again, my car feels significantly less smooth when I am running the AC and in 1st through 3rd gears...

[quote name='melayout']Question for Opie and all those who got the hestiation-fix reflash, Did the car feel any different except for the stuttering part after the reflash? Like slower, less responsive? Could SoA go as far as to actually detune the engine in some parts of the powerband to reduce the hesitation?[/QUOTE] Mine not scheaduled to be back until tomorrow so I can't respond to how the car feels after. :D From my understanding of what the reflash does to reduce the surging it: 1) Leans the fuel mixture slightly within the midrange RPM's 2) Adjusts the wastegate within midrange RPM's From my limited understanding, it "seems" that it might increase HP slightly....

[quote name='Opie']Mine not scheaduled to be back until tomorrow so I can't respond to how the car feels after. :D From my understanding of what the reflash does to reduce the surging it: 1) Leans the fuel mixture slightly within the midrange RPM's 2) Adjusts the wastegate within midrange RPM's From my limited understanding, it "seems" that it might increase HP slightly....[/QUOTE] sounds like a mild version of Cobb's stage 1 to me.

I now have about 400 miles on Pearl since she had the SOA reflash done to "fix" the studdering. Previously, my studder was most noticeable in 3rd gear just under 4K rpm (many others have it more frequently in 2nd around 2500 rpms or so). First, the bad: - The car continues to studder. I have experienced the studder in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears and anywhere between 2-4K rpms. - The stutter seems to be more noticeable now in 2nd around 2500-3K rpms than it had ever been before Now the good: - Overall, the car seems to studder LESS frequently, and when it does stutter, it is seemingly a MILDER stutter. - Though I was previously able to consistently induce the stutter in 3rd gear around 3800 rpms or so, I am generally UNABLE to do so now. Yes, it has stuttered in 3rd, but it is infrequent, inconsistent, and not easily induceable. - Power delivery seems smoother. - The car seems quicker (though I doubt it really is). Bottom line - this seems to be an improvement rather than a fix. I am glad I did it and the car is better with it than it was without it. However, many with the AP have said that the AP cures about 70-80% of the studdering. I would say that this SOA "fix" has done about as well. DISCLAIMER - this is a status report as of 400 miles. Things may change as I pile on the miles. (COMMENT AND TWO) QUESTIONS - When cruising at 70mph in 5th, I am running right at 3K rpm. Though the car accelerates smoothly and quickly from 70-80, it consistently *feels* less torquey than before the reflash and I am forever wanting to drop down in gear. Is 3K rpm about right for 70mph in 5th (I don't remember what it was before the reflash)? Has anyone who has done the SOA "fix" noticed a change in torque "feel"?

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I would say my subie definitely has less bite than before. However, I feel it has more bite (tourque) in the lower gears, out of first and second, rather than like on the highway cruising through traffic and wanting to pass someone. I have ironically thought the same thing since my SOA reflash, thinking it has less tourque around highway speeds inducing a need to downshift to get more power. Joe 2,000k since re-flash.

I just want to post a quick thought/question to everyone out there who has had their SOA re-flash and STILL notices a stutter, whether it be better or worse: Has anyone gone back to your dealer since the re-flash and notified them that the problem (stutter) is still present and noticable? If so, what have they said? If not, why....and do you think they would take any action? Just curious....b/c I honestly cannot remember the last time a car that was built for performance had an engine, computer, etc performance flaw that actually could'nt be FIXED or dealt with directly. Just throwin' it out there....dont think we deserve our cars to have to do this. Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
So what's the verdict?!! A little late on the post I know. But surely there has been a resolution to the studder/shutter issue!?? I recently bought a 05 lgt with 93k and notice the issue right off the bat. I purchased a 3yr 36kmi warranty but I doubt a re-flash ( if that's the fix) is covered.

My 07 mt does this and is at dealer as we speak. Not sure if its due to the toyota dealer putting a non oem looking resonator on the car or if its somethin else. Sometimes going up a hill can make it buck pretty good, Its really Annoying. Not sure if this is the same issue u guyshave or not, but it seems possible.

Ha dealer reset my ecu and claimed it was fixeD and as soon.as I drove it for a few minutes it was acting up.again. So i asked that a tech come.w me.and then they did and said theres def an issue....no shit. So now i have to wait another week before they can get me back in there. Rediculous.

If you have this problem & you have no mechanical issues. IMO, look in to get a aftermarket tune. From one of are vendors here. The only thing you got to lose is your warrant.

My stock tune didn't have this problem, but was no means smooth. Then bought a APv2. Ran Cobb stage1 93 map. Was better power & a little smoother. I'm stage 2+, Running, Custom 1mm stage 2 map from Mike @ Tuning Alliance. The power start coming on about 2500rpm @ 12psi & hitting almost 17psi @ 2800rpm, peaking at 18.5 psi. @ around 4500rpm. The motor revs. smoothly all the way to red line. Where boost tapers down to 13psi. On top of that, I avg. 24mpg.:):cool:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

dealer is replacing my MAF tomorrow. they claim to have taken one from another suby and put it on there and the problem was allegedly gone, so they ordered me one, ill be the judge of if this worked or not... sure hope so tho, again my car was surging fairly badly, every now and then, not really a hesitation

Maf replaced by dealer but that didn't fix.a damn thing

This is rediculous. I've owned the car for 3 weeks and have drove in it 4 times. Wtf could the problem be? Its more than just a crappy stock tune . Seems like a fuel problem to me. Fuel.pressure regulator? Fuel pump? Injectors? **** me

thats what they said it was, but its been fueld up 3 different times now, and i put octane booster in it this time. 93 octane at sunoco. im so pissed i dont know what to do, happens almost everytime i shift after 1st gear and always between 2-3k rpms but sometimes its violent like something is clogged

Archived