LegacyGT.com

05 LGT "studdering" during low speed acceleration.

Driver72

Does your LGT "studder"  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Does your LGT "studder"

• Yes it does and quite often
    • Yes it does but just occasionally
    • A couple times at first, but it's DEFINITELY gone away.
    • Never has, accelerates perfectly smooth everytime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't buy this car because I drive like an old lady. If I want wide open throttle, I want it now. If the ECU has a hard time with that, it sounds like it needs to learn a little quicker. Damn computer things... I have over 11,000 miles and mine still studders at various throttle applications. When I down shift from 5th and punch it, it seems to do OK.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks everyone for their inputs... I'm definitely in the market for an Outback XT 5EAT and reading about the stutters is starting to concern me. Basically, my question for the turbo owners: is the stuttering bad enough that, if you could do it again, you would NOT buy the car just because of this problem? I'm planning on test driving both the XT and the H6 LL Bean, but my heart really is into the turbo performance of the XT. What do you think?

[quote name='outbackfan']Basically, my question for the turbo owners: is the stuttering bad enough that, if you could do it again, you would NOT buy the car just because of this problem?What do you think?[/QUOTE] No. In my case, it is but a minor annoyance.

I have a 5EAT Legacy 2.5GT sedan and I've never experiened stuttering at WOT in all transmission modes. I've occasionally felt some hesitation, not stuttering, when accelerating after a turn in Normal D mode. Finally, you can induce hesitation/stuttering more in manual transmissions because you may have shifted to an higher gear that is not the best at the speed you are going. It could be that Subaru's powertrain is very sensitive and has very low tolerance for gear-shifts outside of the engine's good powerband. Mojo
I keed I keeed

I test drove a GT wagon and an Outback XT, both 5spds. They were both at operating temperatures, each had less than 20 miles on them, the symptom was there at the beginning and end of the test drive. I was by myself and the salesman was tied up when I returned so I didn't get a chance to talk with him. I believe I posted in another thread here, but this symptom is very similar to the yoyo/stutter issue in the Mini Cooper S, 2004s were most effected. Mine had it bad and two dealer ECU updates did not correct it. Mini owners complained for nearly a year before BMW recognized the issue, I hope Subaru is more responsive. [url=http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20115&page=1&pp=25]Lengthy 2yr MCS thread[/url] Here were some items that some Legacy owners might be able to explore. MCS analysis: -Yo-Yo is more prominent when engine is cold, however prevalent at all times -Yo-Yo does not alter with the modification of: CAI, cat-back, supercharger pulley ratio, spark plugs, coil pack, ECU mapping, V35 vs. V36 algorithms, wheel/tire combo, and suspension configuration, or engine oil. -Yo-Yo changes characteristic when MAP sensor is unplugged, changing from low frequency high-displacement throttle-butterfly oscillating and subsequent intake pressure oscillation to high frequency oscillation and low-displacement throttle-butterfly oscillation. When MAP is plugged back in (regardless of resetting the ECU), high frequency characteristic maintains with reduced magnitude, accompanying low frequency oscillation. -Since Yo-Yo amplitude is engine temperature related, concept of poor O^2 sensor is ruled out due to open-loop mode during warm up cycle. -With MAP sensor plugged in, Yo-Yo only occurs near zero vacuum and positive boost, part throttle, and medium load. Yo-Yo does not occur during non-boosted acceleration or 80%+ “WOT” open-loop running, nor does Yo-Yo occur above 4k RPM in any gear. -With MAP sensor unplugged, Yo-Yo occurs in any gear and any RPM from low vacuum to any boost, with exception being high vacuum “coasting” and 80%+ “WOT”. -Since the system maintains the Yo-Yo regardless of MAP involvement; MAP seems not to be the problem. The change in characteristic due to the MAP being in the circuit could be the result of the ECU trying to adapt via the throttle body according to the correct but poor data read by the MAP sensor via the initial oscillation by the throttle body, creating a vicious circle. Hypotheses include bad throttle body solid-state components, servo may be incorrectly responding to logic outputs, or outputs may be processing incorrectly. Probability of servo working incorrectly for only a portion of the bandwidth (especially in the middle!) seems unlikely, suggesting the throttle body logic is in err. Maybe some of the technical Legacy owners can see where there might be some apples to apples comparisons with the Cooper S problem and perhaps find a solution before Subaru.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=2]Is this for real? I would like Subaru to give me 4K for my [color=black]studddddddering [/color]problem. [/size] [font=Times New Roman][url="http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85304"][u][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800080]http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85304[/color][/size][/font][/u][/url][/font]

Hi everyone, I bought my gt 5 speed in mid October and have had this problem from the start. I said something to the dealer about it when I brought it back for it's first oil change. They told me there was nothing wrong with it just everyone is told. Also I have always hated the way it shifts (been driving 5 speed since 16-21 and back now at 24, never had a car that shifted so bad). Extremely notchy. Everything is stock on the car. I have been waiting for something posted here when SOA finally does something. But now here in Wisconsin we have had some very cold mornings (-15 F) and the car shifts like total crap even after a 10 minute warm up. It will even grind shifting into second with me fully depressing the clutch and shifting at 1500. So I guess what I'm getting at is I have had enough. There is absolutly no excuse for this from a 27000 car. I will be calling SOA before and after my second oil change and give them the report the deal gives me. I love this car for numerous reasons but if this persists with no resolution I will be pursing lemon law or just getting rid of the thing for an Altima ser (since I don't see this qualifing for lemon law from the paragraph below from wisconsin dot but who knows). Thanks for letting me vent and I'll post any new from SOA. Thanks, Jim [b]What is a defect?[/b] A defect covered by the Lemon Law must seriously affect the use, value or safety of your vehicle and must be covered by the warranty. An irritating rattle may not be "serious" enough to make your car a lemon. Stalling probably is.

• 4 months later...
This is an old post, but have they figured out the problem and what are they going to do about it? How can I get 4k or can I get 4k? This thread has 14 pages and I don't have time to read through all of them, so if someone can refresh me on this topic, that would be cool. Thanks Vic

As far as i know SOA isn't doing anything about it?? You need some type of engine management to resolve the issue. If i'm not mistaken it's an issue with the open loop fueling..correct me if i'm wrong

i'm not too concerned with it at the moment..doesn't do it WOT...i figure i can completely clear the issue up with the utec... same goes with xede and cobb's steet tuner, not very familiar with them though

[quote name='sutter2k']You guys sure its not a transmission issue. I had a similiar issue with the S4 and it was solved by one of these. [url]http://goapr.com/Audi/products/engine_mount.html[/url][/QUOTE] [SIZE=4]YES[/SIZE] It is an ECU tuning issue

DKB, I've got the same car as you...even same color. I first noticed the problem during the test drive (6 miles on the clock), but the sales guy wrote it off as an artifact of the active engine management; said it would go away. There wasn't another turbo manual on the lot to drive, so I bought it. Bought it 4 weeks ago, and the dealer has had it for two weeks trying to figure out the studder/hiccup issue. I have an appointment tomorrow with a representative from Subaru's corporate offices. In a $30k car, this kind of engine performance is just plain unacceptable. If I were 100% confident that the Cobb AP would solve the problem, I'd suggest that to them...but it looks like even that may not do the trick. I'll keep you posted...

My car does it too and i have a 02 2.5rs. I think its just because of all the drivetran. i have seen new and old sti do it. dont think it is anything to worry about. i took my car in to a dealer and told them about it at 35k and they wanted to replace my clutch bs. 25k miles later no probs with the clutch. and it still judders every now and then. When i start my car cool it seems to happen more often. You guys?

Is this the same issue that Subaru had w/WRX? Mine would do it leaving work, exiting parking lot (hard to look cool:cool: when car almost stalls) or worse when merging onto busy interstate and almost stall in intersection.:mad: The solution pop clutch, rev snot out of engine, dump clutch and go. At about 30k got sick of this dealer replaced clutch with heavier flywheel. Don't know if this fix lasted as I traded in for Legacy shortly after.

I now have 17k plus miles on mine and it still studders under moderate acceleration. Took it to the dealer and they said it "checked out fine"... horsepucky. Has anyone gotten this resolved short of going the Cobb route?

• 2 weeks later...
MY LGT with 5EAT, occasionally hesitates when accelerating from dead stop, this happens mostly, but not always when engine is cold. More frequently, it will stutter at around 2500 rpm, most noticable at hwy speeds. Going into shop this coming Monday, guarantee they will say unable to reproduce, no problem noticed.

My tech noted it on my work order that he had detected it. Had a long conversation with him afterwards, especially about the clutch which he had just replaced and also asked him whether he had experienced the stutter too. He did and now it's recorded in the system. He's checking with the Subaru engineers to see why this is happening. Will continue to bring it up with every oil change and/or service interval until it's resolved. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I had the opportunity to talk to a master Subaru technician about this and they sure do know about it. They still do not seem to know exactly what causes it but had some good ideas. Even the sales manager said most legacys/outbacks do have this problem to different degrees. Told me to have the service department make a notice on this at my next service. It sounded like they were waiting for an ECU upgrade for this problem. They did not know if the '06 would have this solved since they had not seen them yet.

Archived