LegacyGT.com

Legacy STI? Definite maybe.

Paradiso

Here's my prediction ...

With Subaru upping the content on the '07 SpecB over the '06 SPecB but keeping the price the same, I think they'll do the same in a year or 2 by upping the engine performance to differentiate it more from the regular LegGt and call it either an STI or a "Tuned By STI" version ... except in this case the price may go up a bit.

I don't think it'll go past the Impreza STI price but it won't go past the performance #'s as well, so there's the justification for keeping the price reasonable.

I'm gonna guess it'll have less than the 293hp the current Impreza STI has OR higher if the Impreza gets a bump itself.

Of course I could be completely out-to-lunch ?? ;-)

It seems to me there was a rumor of the Impreza STI getting up to 330 hp for '08, so Subaru could bump the LSTI to at least 300 and still be under the Impreza, though I would much rather have a Turbo H6 with around 350 hp. That would make me really happy!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like the H6 turbo, but i could live with the 300 hp from the current sti's powerplant. At least there would be more options when upgrading and cheaper because of all the sti parts on the market.

I'll pull a "IWannaSportSedan" moment:

I want :

H6 Twin-Scroll Turbo outputing 325BHP/340TQ

Leather seats w/ 8-way power (Two Tone but tasteful... the STI color IMO is a bit tacky)

12 speaker 6 Disc 800W Stereo (brand... don't care about)

STI Suspension equal to or better than the Impreza STI w/ Spec B touches

18x8 7-Spoke Wheels w/ 225/45/18 profile (All season.. not this summer time traction BS that Subaru likes to do...)

Front and back Gold or Black Brembo's (Users choice....)

Automatic air / climate

Heated Seats

Moonroof

Nav STANDARD! (That's right you pansies... STANDARD!)

HID STANDARD! (Manual Level) (not that f'ning hard to do....)

6 Speed Manual or 6 Speed Auto (Come on Subaru.... you know the N/A market... don't F us over....) w/ Paddle shifters on the 6EAT.

Quad-Tipped Signature STI stagerded exhaust (with a little bit of a burble stock)

Package that together as the "Flagship" Legacy model and you get a lineup that looks like this:

LegacySTI - $37,425 MSRP

LegacyGT SpecB - $33,723 MSRP

LegacyGT Limited - $30,240 MSRP

Legacy2.5i Limited - $25,130 MSRP

Legacy2.5i - $22,870 MSRP

Prices of course will vary but I think that lineup for the "grownup" Legacy line as the premier car of choice for subaru makes sense.

Honestly I'm 25 and the STI is a "kids" car IMO. Subaru has got to start to evolve it's legacy line in order to pull in a older crowd and the LegacySTI with these specs would do that.

It would be ideal if they kept it close in price. Get rid of leather for some sport cloth seats, make Nav an option, which will save $2k right there. No idea how much extra all the STi suspension bits would be, but it would certainly be cheaper than buying them all after the fact.

We can hope...

Agreed; the STi Legacy as a Japanese domestic model was a pretty good deal; the STi Legacy brake upgrade alone runs over US$5K ( sold a set to a customer in Europe today)

p/no: 1005G-035-051

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=1005G-035-051

The 2006 JDM STi Sedan, when it was available, ( now Sold Out ) was 3,895,000JPY, about US$33,000

Wagon: was 4,027,000JPY, about US$34,000

The bargain of the bunch is the JDM STi Forester (6M/T) tho', which we sell for 3,007,000JPY, US$25,500

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/stiversion/

(:spin: So shoot me:spin: )

Graham Ware

Export Manager

009-051.JPG.435d6eb58dcde3c47acc9797d72ea3a8.JPG

I'll pull a "IWannaSportSedan" moment:

I want :

Leather seats w/ 8-way power (Two Tone but tasteful... the STI color IMO is a bit tacky)

12 speaker 6 Disc 800W Stereo (brand... don't care about)

Nav STANDARD! (That's right you pansies... STANDARD!)

As long as the "any brand" audio doesn't suck, supports MP3/WMA in a 6 disk changer and has full disk/track nav on the touch screen. Integrated ipod controller, with complete on-screen UI as well. Oh, and a nav POI database that is not garbage.

If not, then make it an OPTION so I do not have to pay for yet another crappy Subaru audio or nav system that requires a farking neurosurgeon to remove.

The key to offering a fully integrated A/V/Nav setup is to offer one so good most users would not want to bother with an after market upgrade.

At the $37K price you are entering TLS and IS350 territory. The seats must be damn cozy (LGT seats are not) and cabin quiet. It can be fast and handle on rails but I gotta be able to actually use that big-ass audio system for something other than my little brothers Dragonforce CDs when crusiing at highway speeds.

-Ian

$37K price tag is too much. i'd rather buy a BMW or Mercedes at that price. it should be priced in line with the STI limited because that's essentially what it would be, just in the legacy exterior (that i prefer).
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

$37K price tag is too much. i'd rather buy a BMW or Mercedes at that price. it should be priced in line with the STI limited because that's essentially what it would be, just in the legacy exterior (that i prefer).

Notice that is MSRP..... I personally or you personally would never pay that.

As far as buying a BMW... hmm... why buy german junk?

For $37k, that gets you into an entry level 325i w/ no options. Audi's/BMW's and Mercedes IMO are way to over priced for the car that you get, at least with the LegacySTI, you'd be getting a crap-ton of car for the price.

As long as the "any brand" audio doesn't suck, supports MP3/WMA in a 6 disk changer and has full disk/track nav on the touch screen. Integrated ipod controller, with complete on-screen UI as well. Oh, and a nav POI database that is not garbage.

If not, then make it an OPTION so I do not have to pay for yet another crappy Subaru audio or nav system that requires a farking neurosurgeon to remove.

The key to offering a fully integrated A/V/Nav setup is to offer one so good most users would not want to bother with an after market upgrade.

At the $37K price you are entering TLS and IS350 territory. The seats must be damn cozy (LGT seats are not) and cabin quiet. It can be fast and handle on rails but I gotta be able to actually use that big-ass audio system for something other than my little brothers Dragonforce CDs when crusiing at highway speeds.

-Ian

I agree. Quite frankly I think Subaru can do it. Also the price is aimed at those other cars and performance wise and cost wise.... you're getting a lot of car for the money... specially a subaru. I would expect the seats to be better designed for comfort vs. functionality (like subaru like to do mostly) and adding some extra sound damping wouldn't be that hard for them to do.

For $37k, that gets you into an entry level 325i w/ no options. Audi's/BMW's and Mercedes IMO are way to over priced for the car that you get, at least with the LegacySTI, you'd be getting a crap-ton of car for the price.

Nobody pays MSRP.

The 335 coupe I thinking of getting in the spring starts at 34,900. With options I want, like sport, cold and leather is 41000 inluding tax out the door....As long as I pick it up in Munich that is.

Agreed; the STi Legacy as a Japanese domestic model was a pretty good deal; the STi Legacy brake upgrade alone runs over US$5K ( sold a set to a customer in Europe today)

p/no: 1005G-035-051

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=1005G-035-051

The 2006 JDM STi Sedan, when it was available, ( now Sold Out ) was 3,895,000JPY, about US$33,000

Wagon: was 4,027,000JPY, about US$34,000

The bargain of the bunch is the JDM STi Forester (6M/T) tho', which we sell for 3,007,000JPY, US$25,500

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/stiversion/

(:spin: So shoot me:spin: )

Graham Ware

Export Manager

If they brought over the Legacy STi with similar prices they should just get rid of the Spec b. What does the impreza sti cost in japan (usd)?

If they brought over the Legacy STi with similar prices they should just get rid of the Spec b. What does the impreza sti cost in japan (usd)?

On the contrary, I believe they could sell both.

Spec B = with Leather, sunroof, navigation, and other luxury items

STI = with high-output engine, 6-speed tranny, no sunroof, no leather, no navi.

Right now, the Spec B is sort of a combination of sport and luxury. They could split it into two lines, one luxury and one sporty.

I'm definitely interested in the LSTI, but don't necessarily need all the luxury features.

Then again, my brother used to own a 1969 Camaro Z-28 RS. The Z-28 was the performance line, and the RS was more stylish, with hide-away headlights and wood trim on the dash, and custom cloth seats. The Z-28 RS combined the features of both trim levels.

Subaru can do the same:

Offer the Spec B with luxo items (sunroof, navi, leather),

Offer the STI with sport package (turbo H6, 6-spd tranny, lightweight wheels)

then offer a combo Spec B STI with everything!

I see a helluva lot more Cobalt SS's on the street than I do LGTs, or even STi's. Why don't they just use the same "dynamite" formula GM uses: tell ppl it's sumthin different, they'll believe it. From a domestic makers standpoint, I would see them droppin the LGTss aesthetics on a WRX STi chassis and callin it unique. For a Japanese auto mfg, they'd make sumthin unique, but still dumb it down so it would only be 2g's over the Spec, and maybe 20hp, by way of tune.

On the contrary, I believe they could sell both.

Spec B = with Leather, sunroof, navigation, and other luxury items

STI = with high-output engine, 6-speed tranny, no sunroof, no leather, no navi.

Right now, the Spec B is sort of a combination of sport and luxury. They could split it into two lines, one luxury and one sporty.

I'm definitely interested in the LSTI, but don't necessarily need all the luxury features.

Why not simply parallel the Impreza lineup? Drop the Spec B, then add Legacy STI and Legacy STI Limited. And you'd have the GTs to mirror the WRXs, with Special Editions and Base models rounding out each model lineup.

Yes, but on the other hand from Lexus or Acura you'd be getting a Metric Crap-ton and a Metric Crap-ton > Imperial Crap-ton from Subaru. With Subarus current nav, build quality and audio solutions I don't think they could touch the other cars in this bracket from Japan.

My buddy paid under $37 for an 07 TL-S. Yes, it is "wrong wheel drive" and yes, it lacks Subarus kick-ass AWD. However, it is pretty damn sweet. It is VERY fun to drive and about the only thing it doesn't do is blow you while you drive. The options are stuff like floor mats and what-not as everyting you care about is standard. The ride is sweet and refined while still being "tossable." And you can get it in an auto or a stick and the limited colors it comes in are all pretty good. And the nerd/tech widgets (which people expect in this price range) are super cool. The active noise dampening is very cool. Hell, it even has a casette deck (in addition to WMA/MP3 support). A CASETTE DECK. The dealer doesn't know why it's there, we don't know why it's there, but hey, there it is, just in case that Foreigner mix tape from '83 you found in your parents basement calls to you.

Anyway I think Subaru needs to stay the hell out of the >33K segment unless they intened to bring their game to a whole new level or else they will get completely owned. You cannot sell a car with paper speakers and a 5" "sub" for $37K.

Uh, yuh, could buy an Acura, Infinity, etc., but didn't. No decent AWD for under about $45K with options, for starters.....and slow. The whole point of the STI is massive visceral thrust, AWD, awesome handling, decent daily drivability and reliability. No, it ain't a lux coach.

This combination, as even Consumer Reports notes regarding the Imprezza STI, can't really be approached for anything near the pricing of the STI.

Why not simply parallel the Impreza lineup? Drop the Spec B, then add Legacy STI and Legacy STI Limited. And you'd have the GTs to mirror the WRXs, with Special Editions and Base models rounding out each model lineup.

No need for a Legacy STI Limited.

IF the proposed Legacy STI doesn't come pretty well loaded to the GILLS, it'll die a very quick death.

We are not talking about a homologation race car here. no red-baron bi-plane wing, no stripped out interior. WRX STI already has that role covered, and Legacy is not for that game.

A Legacy STI has to be a sport sedan from conception. G35, A4/S4, BMW, Lexus IS, and the like are the targets, not the Mitsu Evo. The Evo already has a Subaru competitor.

No need for a Legacy STI Limited.

IF the proposed Legacy STI doesn't come pretty well loaded to the GILLS, it'll die a very quick death.

We are not talking about a homologation race car here. no red-baron bi-plane wing, no stripped out interior. WRX STI already has that role covered, and Legacy is not for that game.

A Legacy STI has to be a sport sedan from conception. G35, A4/S4, BMW, Lexus IS, and the like are the targets, not the Mitsu Evo. The Evo already has a Subaru competitor.

I somewhat disagree. I'd like to see LSTI without leather, power seats (give me Recaros instead!), moonroof, or stupid navi.

LGT even in unlimited form is loaded enough IMHO (ok, few things could be improved, like stereo, auto up/down windows, telescoping steering wheel, audio control buttons on the steering wheel should be standard, etc.) - but you still get everything except moonroof and leather.

I like the suggestion Spec B = more luxury (leather, for those who like to slide around in the seat :rolleyes:), STI = performance with right balance of luxury.

See, Legacy by definition is more refined than Impreza - has better finish, sound deadening, etc. No need for more fake luxury items increasing price tag.

And why "sport sedan" form conception??? :rolleyes: Let's make it a wagon and conquer the overlooked niche!

Ok... sport wagon, too... I have said that before...

but I don't think a stripper version of a Legacy STI would sell... not unless it was at or below the price of a WRX STI.

The thing is, that people who want the performance and weight saving, will buy a WRX STI anyway, especially when it comes out on a newer platform next year. Duplicating the WRX STI with a Legacy is very redundant, when the Legacy isn't supposed to be the same kind of car as the WRX and WRX STI.

I always think NAV should be optional. But no leather, no moonroof, no power seats (and power, heated and cooled, memory-setting-enabled Recaros would be nice) and all that would get severely criticized in a car of that price class.

I just have a feeling that a stripped out version of a Legacy STI would be laughed out of competition from the other cars in it's class, and Subaru doesn't have the kind of cash to throw at a sales failure that can be predicted beforehand.

I am sorry that the non-Limited Legacy GT went away. It was a good car configuration at a good price point. But at an STI price point, above 30k, I don't think it would fly.

People have a hard enough time justifying the Spec B's price increase for the content upgrade... And journos still talk down about "if you can get past the Subaru badge..."

Oh, yeah, I'd never want it to be stripped. Just no leather, no moonroof, no powerseats.

However it should some luxury touches, like a fancy stereo (McIntosh, please!), or remote folddown seats like in JDM wagons.

I always think NAV should be optional.

Absolutely. It's retarded they make it mandatory. It could be easily a dealer installed accessory. No more (probably less) work to get it installed than STI gauge pack.

I understand and agree with what Iwanna is saying. From a business and common sense standpoint, by having a Legacy STi here, you're having two high performance, awd, sports sedans that only differ in exterior. There's really not much of a point in that. Unless they upmarket the WRX Sti to like 350 hp, to separate itself as THE sports car of the brand, there wouldn't be enough of a difference between the two. What we really desire that Subaru does doesn't really bode well financially for them.

The Legacy is the brand's mid-size sedan. Ok, it's not as big as an Altima or an Accord, but it's a mid-size sedan by a few yrs ago standards. At the end of the day, it will separate itself by being sporty, awd, unique, and most importantly, practical. Let's think about this, 37k or more for an STi Legacy is a lot of money. Unless it's performing similar to the STi, it's not worth the money, esp. if taking out all those luxury features. From a business standpoint, you have an Altima/Maxima dilemna, with one being unneccesary, only here, it's obvious, it would be the Legacy STi.

If the Legacy wants to compete with the 3-series, G35, A4, etc, it must have a nice interior, and provide the tangible features that will be used by consumers. AWD is a staple, and we know that it will sporty. IMO, if anything happens, they ought to get rid of the spec. b, make a Legacy STi and top it out at 35k, with the engine and suspension upgrades, but with the luxury features still there. They'll lose money initially, but if it sparks people's interest who are ignorant about Subaru, it could be worth it in the long run. The reason the G35 embedded itself into the market, is because it could bring almost everything the 3-series could, but at a lower price.

I also agree that Nav should be optional.

Archived