LegacyGT.com

Legacy STI? Definite maybe.

Paradiso

Why? Maybe because people would be more willing to pay a premium for a Legacy that actually has premium performance.

To use poor Spec. B sales as a reliable indicator of poor STi sales seems foolish since they cater to two different markets.

I'm ready to spend my money on a Legacy STi and am not at all interested in the Spec. B.

I agree 100%. That doesn't prove there's a good business case for Subaru to build the car however.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree 100%. That doesn't prove there's a good business case for Subaru to build the car however.

I agree with your agreement ;)

Spec. B sales neither make nor break the case for a Legacy STi. Maybe they could try selling... about 500? LSTi's the first year and see how it goes...

how do you know this absolutely? Do you have the marketing data for the demo? Do you have the production costs of such a vehicle? Do you know the R&D costs? Projected sales based on all these and the resulting MSRP?

not trying to argue with you guys about this, but unless you have that info, any argument you make is anecdotal.

Fair enough. But so is your argument.

The only way I found out about the LGT wagon is that I have a good japanese friend who showed me some japanese press about the car. I had to seek it out at the dealer, and ask for one.

Subaru does not advertise the LGT. You simply cant argue that they do. If so you are FOS.

All you see is that stupid sheryl crow commercial. Even on Speed channel during races (real races not hillbilly ovals), you see only outbacks with inane sheryl.

WTF is up with that??

Subaru is a poorly run business. They have great product, however.

They have great product, however.

+million

Because of how good the product is, they are still around in the U.S, despite awful marketing and product management.

As far as money is concerned.... a company has to look at two things:

1) Profitiability

2) Future Revenue

This is what drives the car market. Car makers such as GM are so in the hole because they can't design a car that has : 1) Looks and 2) Power/Fun to drive and end up losing money hand over fist.

The arguement that Subaru would or would not benefit from having the "Halo" car be the Legacy STI is really irrevelvant. It's what gives Subaru (SOA in this case) the most profit per market share?

Take the Pacific Northwest.... I use this for example because it's the largest Subaru Market bar none. Subaru knows it's going to sell "X" amount of Outbacks because people like the brand, are familar with it, has decent power and hauls a lot of crap. You get into a salesman trying to ONLY push the Outback XT to customers, that goes against the business grain of making money on something that they've probably already "would have" sold to that person. (Meaning a 2.5i/2.5i Limited Outback is going to outsell the Outback XT due to simple math)

Now we take a look at Subaru's track record with the Legacy. (I'm strictly looking at GT's here folks)

'05 Non-Limited / Limited - Lots of choices, customer gets to pick what they want

'06 Non-limited ditched / Limited - is the "standard" of choice

'06 Spec B annouced and only #500 produced (stupid... stupid... STUPID move on Subaru's part....) - They obviously were testing waters for a "performance/luxury oriented market that they SHOULD HAVE done a market study on before making the car and not produce the '06 Spec B. (mumbles)

'07 Limited / Spec B - Now all the sudden you have a wedge in Subaru's marketing. Why get the Limited when you get so much more for not a whole lot (in this case the Spec B). This drives (ultimately) a wedge in user base and people left wondering if they bought the right vehicle for them. (Limited owners / Spec B owners...) Only offering a 5EAT / 5 speed in the GT Limited vs. 6 Speed in the Spec B

'08 - ???

What I will say about '08 is if they don't come foward with a 6EAT then I would expect them to offer it in an '09/'10. Subaru's track record is to "re-arrange" the options for the market to what they feel suits it best. However given current trends, and as most have stated, the Legacy car for Subaru hasn't nor do I see it being pushed as the flagship car this year or next. They have their reputation on the line with the Impreza STI and the "tuner" crowd that if the STI name brand is converted from the Impreza to the Legacy.

There's a loss of identity with that shift that would take at least 5 years to transistion to the new "way" of thinking.

As I've said in previous admitions is that one of the things killing SOA is the lack of performance oriented "Automatic" cars. If they do not link to a SMG/DSG style of transmission in the next 5-10 years, I see them having trouble in the US market comparitively to other "performance" sedans/coupes.

But who knows, we'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing we know for sure is that the new legacy will not incorporate any aluminum into their body panel construction. Apparently the cost of aluminum has more than doubled over the past several years and it is not financially viable for Subaru to incorporate them into their vehicles...

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2006/12/24/afx3280775.html

Oh well, I guess the auto industry is going heavy, before we know it, our subies will be as heavy and bloated as Audis.

At any rate, the 2.5 with a twin scroll or twin sequential turbo would be the best engine for an STi. Either one of these setups would be great to keep weight down and high power while providing a more even and usable powerband like in the E92's 3.0L I6 twin turbo. I would imagine you could crank 320+ hp out of the 2.5L boxer with an even powerband and keep the kerb weight down around 3,500 lbs or less.

One thing we know for sure is that the new legacy will not incorporate any aluminum into their body panel construction. Apparently the cost of aluminum has more than doubled over the past several years and it is not financially viable for Subaru to incorporate them into their vehicles...

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2006/12/24/afx3280775.html

Oh well, I guess the auto industry is going heavy, before we know it, our subies will be as heavy and bloated as Audis.

At any rate, the 2.5 with a twin scroll or twin sequential turbo would be the best engine for an STi. Either one of these setups would be great to keep weight down and high power while providing a more even and usable powerband like in the E92's 3.0L I6 twin turbo. I would imagine you could crank 320+ hp out of the 2.5L boxer with an even powerband and keep the kerb weight down around 3,500 lbs or less.

The discontinuation of using aluminum body panels would be really good justification for higher output engines. If the cars are heavier, they need more power to push that extra heft around.

Are yoooooooooooouuuuuu readyyyyyyyyyyyy????????????? :lol: Jan. 7th, let's hope for at least a few small surprises........... :iam::hide: Maybe? Hopefully? :confused:

Where is this info coming from? I'm very excited :wub:

How far behind is dropping the legacy entirely?

That would be suicide for Subaru. They dont have anything to replace it with.

Look at their history. They introduced the Legacy two year prior to dropping their primary sedan, the Loyale.

But thinking about a world in which Legacies are no longer made gives me goosebumps.

Rumors now for '08 also include no more turbo, that's why there was only a 3.0R at the show. You see, Legacy sales must be taking away from Impreza sales, which have turbos. :iam: So, if one is taking away sales, rather then explain all the differences and differentiate the products, they are planning to just drop the turbo Legacy all together instead. It makes more sense that way to them. ;)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Rumors now for '08 also include no more turbo, that's why there was only a 3.0R at the show. You see, Legacy sales must be taking away from Impreza sales, which have turbos. :iam: So, if one is taking away sales, rather then explain all the differences and differentiate the products, they are planning to just drop the turbo Legacy all together instead. It makes more sense that way to them. ;)

Very unlikely. They mentioned the GT SpecB at NAIAS. If GT SpecB stays I'd be surprised if regular GT would go away.

If something was going away they would not mention at all and pretend it never exited (Legacy wagon)... literaly the guy (SOA's head, Doll) did "mistake" that Outback was introduced in 1989... which it wasn't (only in 1996).

See ";)" in above quote... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)= sarcasm. :lol: I'm just saying at this point, nothing is safe and nothing makes sense anymore to enthusiasts like us. :( I just can't fathom where they're coming from and if the GT disappears, I just honestly won't be surprised anymore. I just have no clue where they're going or where they're coming from anymore............. :(:iam::confused:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived