LegacyGT.com

Legacy STI? Definite maybe.

Paradiso

So what is the luxury we are arguing about? Leather and moonroof? Come on.

I am okay with the moonroof if "necessary", but sports car should have supportive cloth seats - Recaros FTW.

Internal competition between Impreza and Legacy? I don't think so - I think these cars target different audiences, maybe with some exceptions.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may or may not have a sunroof. The STI tuned Legacy doesn't, and I don't think the Blitzen does either... I like the sunroof, but could understand if it wasn't there, also. (I would like the black headliner and pillar covers that the STI-tuned and Blitzen Legacys get.)

Recaros would be nice, and I could see having alcantara panels, like the Spec B. A Sports car perhaps should have cloth seats for ultimate "grip" in a sports car. But a Legacy, no matter how fast, isn't a sports car, but a GT sport-focused sedan or touring wagon.

It is a bit more daily utilitarian than that, and I think people will balk if they point at the Legacy STI, and say "ha ha, they want what price for that car, and it doesn't even have leather?!!!" and promptly buy an Acura TL-Type S, or IS500, or 335xi.

Now, Subaru could offer cloth sport seats as an option alternative to Leather sport seats.. but, with SOA's track record, not only are option choices unlikely, but we may be pipe-dreaming about this whole car.

You make the point yourself.

I think these cars target different audiences
they are. That is exactly why people don't balk at a WRX STI with alcantara/cloth seats, and econo-car interior. it is a purpose built car, and people buy that for fun, or everyday use just for themselves.

The Legacy is more multi-purpose, and is usually considered by people who routinely carry at least one to three passengers on a regular basis, and expect comforts and amenities in a more "civilized" environment. it is more of a daily driver.

I am not sure that those people will be so keen to give up leather and power seats, is all I am saying. On a WRX STI, or a Lotus elise, or something focused, people buy solely on sporting credentials, for that purpose. Legacy, especially an STI version, has to be more things to more people than just a "sports car"

I understand where you are coming from, but SOA is not going to be keen to offer many variants of an STI model of the Legacy, if they sell it at all, and given a choice between more amenities like leather, power seats, and to an extent, a moonroof, they can't afford to lose sales by being too spartan. They are already doing that on things like transmission choice, and color configuration, and it is hurting them, whether they choose to see it or not.

Cliff notes... if they offer the choice, great, if they don't offer the choice, they had better put everything in a Legacy STI they can fit, to compete with other cars that have even more toys. (even if that means NAV, even if I'd rather have the option to save the cash, instead.)

So what is the luxury we are arguing about? Leather and moonroof? Come on.

I am okay with the moonroof if "necessary", but sports car should have supportive cloth seats - Recaros FTW.

Internal competition between Impreza and Legacy? I don't think so - I think these cars target different audiences, maybe with some exceptions.

i think you're crazy. today's "sports cars" all have leather. when was the last time you saw a porsche with cloth? how about an m5 with cloth? s4 with cloth? doesn't happen. your only hope would be a special option for cloth (like the current m3). but a legacy sti should and would come with leather, maybe alcantara inserts. as much as i'd love a LSTI wagon...im not keeping my hopes up considering they wont even sell a freaking 5MT wagon anymore...why the hell would they make an sti wagon? besides, at $38K it would be a $7K premium....ouch. Considering low volume you wouldnt get the same crazy deals either making the gap closer to 10-12K. big ouch.

i think you're crazy. today's "sports cars" all have leather. when was the last time you saw a porsche with cloth? how about an m5 with cloth? s4 with cloth? doesn't happen. your only hope would be a special option for cloth (like the current m3). but a legacy sti should and would come with leather, maybe alcantara inserts.

:rolleyes: Only in America.

In Europe. M5 comes with cloth upholstery. 7-series comes with cloth upholstery (with the exception of some trims, I think 760 doesn't ). S-class can be had with cloth upholstery.

It's American consumers who need to feed their ego (and fry they asses) with fake luxury.

as much as i'd love a LSTI wagon...im not keeping my hopes up considering they wont even sell a freaking 5MT wagon anymore...why the hell would they make an sti wagon? besides, at $38K it would be a $7K premium....ouch. Considering low volume you wouldnt get the same crazy deals either making the gap closer to 10-12K. big ouch.

It would be pricy but I'd be willing to pay this. This would be a limited production car anyway. $35 for an LSTI (without stupid navi, etc) would be a better deal than $30+ for SpecB. I am sure they would find 500 buyers.

Especially if it was a wagon. Check the polls I posted (here and at nasioc, click on link in my sig). Vast majority of customery sedan buyers would buy LSTI wagon gladly. Wagon haters are minority. Financially - offering it as a WAGON ONLY makes more sense, than offering it as a sedan only.

:rolleyes: Only in America.

In Europe. M5 comes with cloth upholstery. 7-series comes with cloth upholstery (with the exception of some trims, I think 760 doesn't ). S-class can be had with cloth upholstery.

It's American consumers who need to feed their ego (and fry they asses) with fake luxury.

It would be pricy but I'd be willing to pay this. This would be a limited production car anyway. $35 for an LSTI (without stupid navi, etc) would be a better deal than $30+ for SpecB. I am sure they would find 500 buyers.

Especially if it was a wagon. Check the polls I posted (here and at nasioc, click on link in my sig). Vast majority of customery sedan buyers would buy LSTI wagon gladly. Wagon haters are minority. Financially - offering it as a WAGON ONLY makes more sense, than offering it as a sedan only.

Umm...last I checked we're in America. If we gave New Jersey to Canada or something, let me know and I'll celebrate (kidding). M5 does not come with cloth in Europe...its leather, perforated leather, or alcantara (inserts). Not that it matters because we're talking about bringing an LSTI to America and 99% of people in America would prefer to have leather in a premium sports sedan/wagon. It would probably come with Navi too. The Legacy is never going to appeal that strongly to the track junkies. There are the one-offs like Keefe but I have never seen a Legacy at the track. The majority of people who want cloth seats/no navi/no moonroof are people who either track their cars or the wannabe guys who like to talk about it. I just don't see a big market for a $38-40Kish LSTI with cloth seats and no nav. I think there is a market for an LSTI wagon but SOA doesn't have the nuts to bring it to the US just as Audi didnt bring the B5 RS4 avant to the US.

Your continuously self-bumped polls are still a tiny sample set and are irrelevant to SOA. Forums tend to have a disproportionately high number of enthusiasts, and enthusiasts want manual trannys, better suspensions, more power, etc. If SOA believed LGT.com represented the masses, they would have tripled the output of unlimited LGT wagons with 5MT. The reality is most people (outside of this site) view wagons as soccer-mom-mobiles. Soccer moms don't want manuals. They want big ass SUVs (thats for a different thread)...or they want a wagon with an auto. I happen to favor wagons and hatches...so I bought a wagon with 5mt. The car I bought had been on the lot for SEVEN months. I paid 5K under sticker. Not indicative of a car that is a hot seller.

I could be wrong and I hope I am...but I really don't see an LSTI wagon making it to the US.

I stand corrected about the leather in M5. Indeed M5 comes only with leather, unlike 5-series (every trim) and 7-series (nearly every trim) that can be had with cloth. Custom ordering in Europe is no big deal, so I guess if someone really wanted could get M5 cloth. Sorry for misleading info.

Whatever, leather bothers me, but is easily swaped/changed/reupholstered, so if Legacy STI comes with leather only, it's not going to be a deal breaker for me.

I think legacygt.com/nasioc.com are perfect target audience for these polls - I am sure that majority of these car would sell to enthusiasts. So I don't think the sample is "tiny". Legacy as a whole - sure, but Legacy STI - disagree. Btw, the polls prove my point that selling wagon only makes more sense than sedan only - for a limited production peformance car - that's a niche car anyway. In the "image-concious fry my butt with leather" society, Subaru has indeed no place to compete with BMW.

Also, even if Legacy STI makes to this shores, it would be a limited production car - I imagine 500 units a year or so. Given the magic of STI badge (provided backed by enough substance) I personally believe LSTI would be much better seller than SpecB. In fact SOA could get suprised, exactly how suprised they were with WRX STI.

Legacy wagons sold poorly because they were not advertised. Sure, they would never be hot sellers, but they could have sold more of them, if they did it right.

Also, if they add a LSTI wagon as a "halo car", I think it would help sell these base LGT wagons.

M5 cannot come with cloth even through the Individual program. I'm not sure why you've decided that leather is for "image conscious fry my butt with leather" society. Leather has a number of qualities that are superior to cloth. For example, I have a dog. She is a chocolate lab. She sheds a lot. Its much easier to clean dog hair off of leather seats than cloth. Same can be said for stains. Leather also tends to keep its color better than cloth which can fade with sunlight. I agree that cloth is superior for track cars because it holds you in the seat better...but I still haven't changed my mind about the legacy going to track enthusiasts.

I think I missed the part where you proved the financial viability of an LSTI wagon over LSTI sedan but its silly to keep arguing. I hope I'm wrong and you can tell me how much your poll influenced SOA if they ever make an LSTI wagon.

• 3 weeks later...

unclemat, I tried to rally SOA for the STI, but here's what I got...

Dear Mr. Buchanan:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru of America Web site and for your

message. We are aware of the current demand for Legacy STI and Legacy STI

Wagon models in the U.S. market. Unfortunately, the current demand for

this model is not yet sufficient for us to introduce this model to the

U.S. market.

We do receive requests from current Subaru Legacy owners for this

model. But, these individuals represent a very small portion of the market.

The market for a 'driver's car' is definitely a manual transmission.

However, we cannot explain why we could not sell them in 2005. Based on

the sales results we were not able to continue offering the Legacy GT

Wagon with a manual transmission. We simply sell to the markets that

exist, we do not create the markets.

At this time, the Impreza WRX Wagon and the Legacy Outback XT

turbocharged wagons are both available with manual transmissions. We continue

to offer these models with manual transmissions as the market for them

is still sufficient.

We do, however, appreciate that you took the time to advise us of your

interest in purchasing a Legacy STI Wagon in the future. Your comments

will be forwarded to our Product Planning Department for their review

and consideration.

Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Sincerely,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

It is my conviction that the Legacy STI, if brought to the US, would be

a product genuinely worthy of making Subaru a true 'Japanese BMW.' In

Europe and Japan, I understand the need for it in order to compete.

However, the US has very few family cars in the sub-$35000 catagory that

would satisfy the discerning driver. As an owner of a 2005 Legacy GT

wagon, I can say with genuine sincerity that I will buy a Legacy STI,

preferably wagon, if afforded the opportunity. Also, the fact that the

manual transmission was omitted after the '05 model year is highly

disappointing. The market for a driver's car is manual-drive cars. How am

I to upgrade on my current wagon now? What does Subaru of America have

stateside to maintain my attention in a couple years when I trade in?

The Legacy STI wagon, properly equipped, would be your answer.

:icon_mad:

What does Subaru offer to guys who outgrow a WRX STI? (That is bone stock, I know our leggy's are capable)

now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

We simply sell to the markets that

This explains it all. Words that come to mind: cowards, followers, uninnovative, shortsighted, mediocre, dimwited, unenterprenual, etc, etc.

Unclemat, I think we should keep this more an upbeat thing and not try to make this a blame-game of who wants what, why this or that is made and make it all a negative thing as I've seen for several of your posts. I know it's disappointing to see such things from a business whose products we feel strongly can deliver what we're looking for (but don't.) I'm in that boat as well. I went to another manufacturer for my daily driver because Subaru didn't provide what I was looking for.

While I would love to have another GT Wagon but in LSTI trim for versatility, rear headroom, and that extra sleeper effect ;), at this point, I'd even settle for a sedan to be honest. I've been waiting on Subaru to deliver and as always they are behind the game. The spec B is a short step in the right direction, but they need 2 or 3 steps for me to get my business back. It's a shame too because they have all the right stuff already, it's in production, it's just not packaged together in various forms and on our shores. There are a number of models from various mfgs that are damn close to my 'perfect spec'. The 2004-2005 BMW E46 330i Sedan w/ ZHP M-Sport package is the best tuned 3-series sedan in recent history, if only a little more oomph an LSD, and slightly bigger brakes, it would be essentially perfect in my book. The Legacy 2.0GT tuned by STI is another example (though not available here of course) has most of the right goods though the diffs could be the same units as the Impreza STI short of DCCD installed, and the twin-scroll unit with 2.5L of displacement like Litchfield has so well worked with would be ideal. The B7 RS4 would yet again be perfect if it weighed 3400lbs and didn't cost over $60k as it does. There's many but I can find some sort of significant flaw with each. With a well-tuned Legacy STI, knkowing the product and how it could be built with existing parts, I don't think I could find a significant defect (that or I'd be too enamored with the product to overlook it.)

Back to the original idea though they will build it if they want to, simple as that, whether we get uptight about it, that doesn't help it or probably hurt it either. I sure would love a Legacy STI, have the funds to put my name on the list immediately, but if they don't want to listen to individuals like myself who can speak with their cash, then so be it. A 330i w/ ZHP will probably be my game if Subaru doesn't deliver by this summer. It's the closest thing I can get to my ultimate driving machine, a true grand tourer that isn't going to kill your bank account like a playboy car, the Impreza STI I had I just was not impressed with, sure the brakes were great as well as the diffs, but the rest of the car wasn't my gig and I don't think honestly is a drivers car, its just plain raw, nothing more. I want something more. Subaru clearly still has yet to fill the void, and lets all hope they sure as hell do.

http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/CARS/Lineup.jpg

or this, and yes, it's the factory package...

http://members.cox.net/spootrakul/101_0174a.JPG

Mmmmm....330i- very nice @ about $40K with decent options. Why not the 335 for another $6 +? Likely any LGT STI would be approaching at least $40 as well. A bit of a jump from the $25 I paid for my LGT MT wagon (still faster @ stage 2) albeit, even with Ions, not quite the UDM (yet...more mods?).

Last hurdle, in addition, for me in still, at times, snowbound Maine, is lack of AWD + performance, even @ $46K+....

Mmmmm....330i- very nice @ about $40K with decent options. Why not the 335 for another $6 +? Likely any LGT STI would be approaching at least $40 as well. A bit of a jump from the $25 I paid for my LGT MT wagon (still faster @ stage 2) albeit, even with Ions, not quite the UDM (yet...more mods?).

Last hurdle, in addition, for me in still, at times, snowbound Maine, is lack of AWD + performance, even @ $46K+....

A nice 2005 E46 330i ZHP sedan example with 15k-30k miles are going for about $30k flat. A fully-equipped 335i sedan in the E90 generation is running at least $15k more if you option it. When you consider that and the BMW M division did a good deal of work above the standard 330i, it comes in as quite a nice car, and besides the new E90's aren't quite as nice as the E46's in my book. The reason I'd consider one, it's not my daily driver, the Protege5 was selected specifically for that and thus it wouldn't ee winter salt and slippery conditions, so RWD is more than okay for me. Doesn't mean if a true LSTI came along I wouldn't get it, but an LSTI is more sporty. I owned an '05 LGT Wagon and it has to be something much more performance oriented, the reason I won't get a Spec B in current config. I'm not bitter about it, I'm looking proactively to the best alternative solution in case they don't succeed in bringing the Legacy STI to market. I have no interest in a Forester STI for the reasons of wheelbase, stance, CG, and fit/finish.

The market for a 'driver's car' is definitely a manual transmission.

However, we cannot explain why we could not sell them in 2005. Based on

the sales results we were not able to continue offering the Legacy GT

Wagon with a manual transmission. We simply sell to the markets that

I think you snipped that a bit too much, there Unclemat.

The part about "We cannot explain..." really adds a nice touch to their response.

IF they release a model, and then didn't advertize it, didn't promote it, and above all, probably didn't stock much of it, considering they still don't stock the Legacy GT very well at all...

And they still can't fathom why the cars didn't sell to expectation, first of all their expectation didn't get met with action, and sales did not follow. To top that off, they are too closed minded to see that to be the case.

So, not only are they unmotivated, they are not realistic, or honest with themselves.

They think the buying public burned them. They are not keen to have that happen again, and so, they have pulled way back.

They didn't, and still don't get it. The public didn't burn them. The public didn't freaking know about it. People don't buy what they don't realize is for sale.

Honda Motorcycles does the same thing. They built the NT650 Honda Hawk in 1988, and sold it for a couple of years. It sold really slowly, especially compared to the CBR600 Hurricane (the honda moto equivalent to their WRX STI golden boy.)

The hawk was a technically nicer, but less powerful bike, but plagued with being priced so close to the hurricane, and by cost cutting on parts like a non-adjustable fork, and a pathetic rear shock, although it did have things like an aluminum spar frame, and an elf-designed Single Sided swingarm, and was among the first road bikes to have those things, developed from their racing program, and later adopted on the more popular VFR sport touring bike, and by other brands.

So the bike sold slowly. My bike, for instance, sold new in 1992. three years after it was built, and after the bike was discontinued in 1991.

Honda got burned on it, as well as the CB1 400cc I4, and the super-single retro-bike GB500 (think of a classic triumph clone, with a 500cc single piston engine)

They never went back completely.

They half-hearted the VTR1000 Superhawk, and then refuse to update it. They attempt to bring over the wildly-popular-in-europe 599 (600 Hornet) and price it completely out of the realm of its competition, with bargain parts, and again, wonder why it doesn't sell in the US.

Meanwhile, the Ducati monster has had a very long and good run. Suzuki's SV650 and SV1000, and bandit series, and now kawasaki has released various 650 and 1000 cc sporting bikes without fairings, and even yamaha has the half faired FZ-6 and FZ1.

All these companies can sell the genre of bike that the Honda Hawk re-kindled in the late 80's (the un-faired, lightweight, sporting street motorcycle) and Honda refuses to come back in, and make a nice bike to fit that market, and do well there.

Subaru may have the same hesitation with any performance variant of the Legacy, with slow sales of the 2006 Spec B, and the 2005 GT wagon with the manual transmission. And price, aside from *maybe* the spec B, isn't the problem. Public awareness is the problem. lack of corporate support is the problem.

SOA may have dropped the ball hard enough not to want to pick it up again. I don't know if it is a "blindness" thing, some sort of incompetence, a bean-counting issue, or just a matter of wounded pride...

Do you all really think that Subaru didn't try to sell the manual transmission cars? They said they built them and that nobody wanted them. I'm sure they didn't enjoy having to give huge incentives at the end of 2005 to get rid of them and they don't want to do that again.

Do you all think that the readers of this forum represent an average legacy buyer? I think its a group of enthusiasts who are going to be different (maybe by a lot) then the average buyers.

Not everyone loves shifting gears. Many of us have tough commutes, or live in cities, or are simply just fed up with shifting gears. I see the VW dual clutch DSG transmissions as being the end of manual transmissions for the future. All the benefits of an automatic and all the benefits of a manual in one transmission.... I hope Subaru has a transmission like that soon!

BTW - to the Hawk GT guy - I have one now (red 1990) and I had one from 89-95 (gray 88).

I think SOA is being overly catious on this. I for one see some reasoning to their way of thinking, "we built it but no one bought them". and the slow sales of the 06 specB's. FWIW I never even knew the LGT came in manual (or that they were discontinueing it for that matter) till visiting here and nabisco. Marketing plays a VERY large role in american society, very rarely is a car bought or sold on mere heresay... something has to inspire the question to your friend "know anything about these legacy turbos?" and for him to say "oh ya they have an STi coming" also takes marketing. When a friend of mine and I went up north we spied the then yet-to-be-released legacy testmules, one was a turbo. I was diehard on getting one but know one in SOA or on the boards knew when they were coming. Consequently instead of waitng "2 weeks" for more news, or to find it might be vaporware, I scored an S4. Do I regret it, ehhhh a little, financially I might be better off had I kept the BE Legacy and hopped into a 05/06 but without the information I could not make a decision in subaru's favor. Now I am back looking at LGT's but the 07 models for the back seat. I'd hold off if I knew for a fact HID's and bluetooth were standard on the 08's, HOWEVER not if the current LGT @29k becomes the LGT @ 33k, just as they jumped from around 25k when they came out.

As for the specB's slow sales, I think again it is marketing (or lack there of) as well as when introduced the supply was sooo low it was almost pointless to try to aquire one especailly at the dealers marked up rates. now they are suppossedly plentiful, however if it werent for an informed dealer here I never would have known they were now orderable and no longer a special run.

As mentioned its all marketing. you cant sell what people dont know exists. Think of trying to sell your kitchen table (in the kitchen) at a garage sale. youexpect someone to ask out of the blue "hey, you selling a kitchen table?" or do you need to put a sign denoting "stuff inside for sale...kitchen table"

subaru should at least bring the legacy sti over in limited production like they did with the Spec B its first year.....If its on their wish list then its not that hard for their wish to be their command....i sure as hell would be the first to get it.

I think SOA is being overly catious on this. I for one see some reasoning to their way of thinking, "we built it but no one bought them". and the slow sales of the 06 specB's. FWIW I never even knew the LGT came in manual (or that they were discontinueing it for that matter) till visiting here and nabisco. Marketing plays a VERY large role in american society, very rarely is a car bought or sold on mere heresay... something has to inspire the question to your friend "know anything about these legacy turbos?" and for him to say "oh ya they have an STi coming" also takes marketing. When a friend of mine and I went up north we spied the then yet-to-be-released legacy testmules, one was a turbo. I was diehard on getting one but know one in SOA or on the boards knew when they were coming. Consequently instead of waitng "2 weeks" for more news, or to find it might be vaporware, I scored an S4. Do I regret it, ehhhh a little, financially I might be better off had I kept the BE Legacy and hopped into a 05/06 but without the information I could not make a decision in subaru's favor. Now I am back looking at LGT's but the 07 models for the back seat. I'd hold off if I knew for a fact HID's and bluetooth were standard on the 08's, HOWEVER not if the current LGT @29k becomes the LGT @ 33k, just as they jumped from around 25k when they came out.

As for the specB's slow sales, I think again it is marketing (or lack there of) as well as when introduced the supply was sooo low it was almost pointless to try to aquire one especailly at the dealers marked up rates. now they are suppossedly plentiful, however if it werent for an informed dealer here I never would have known they were now orderable and no longer a special run.

As mentioned its all marketing. you cant sell what people dont know exists. Think of trying to sell your kitchen table (in the kitchen) at a garage sale. youexpect someone to ask out of the blue "hey, you selling a kitchen table?" or do you need to put a sign denoting "stuff inside for sale...kitchen table"

you the inside track. ;)

but yes, subaru's marketing sucks! they show a few commercials for the legacy's but as some lame ass boring sedan. there's nothing about it's agility, speed or the fact you can get it as a SPORT SEDAN or WAGON! :(

the only reason i bought one, was i saw one driving in town, it was debadged and i followed it for 10 mins to find out what the heck it was. finally saw a subie emblem and realized it must be the new legacy sedan they had come out with. i wanted it and 6 months later, i bought me one! :lol:

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

but yes, subaru's marketing sucks! they show a few commercials for the legacy's but as some lame ass boring sedan. there's nothing about it's agility, speed or the fact you can get it as a SPORT SEDAN or WAGON! :(

Maybe that's what it is.... a lame ass boring sedan. ;)

Just to throw fuel on the fire

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?p=123693#post123693

most of you guys/gals probably already know about the 6 speed due to be in a Forester STI due in a year or two, but here is a little more info found out from a technician training class recently:

STi 6 speed tranny will be available in the Forester STI version due out in a year or two

found out more info on the 6 speed stuff.

it was learned abotu the 6 speed Forester at a new model training course for techs. they said that subaru expects to have an STI version of every model, including the Tribeca.

Forester and Legacy STI versions will have the 6 speed tranny and STI type suspension. Not sure on how they will do the suspension on the tribeca. no word on exactly how they will change (if they do) power/engine for STI versions...training only spoke of suspension and tranny stuff.

also, the tribeca is going to get the 3.6L with a timing belt instead of chain (not sure exactly which year this will change, but will be soon) because they have had some problems with the timing chain in the 3.0L. (reason for this is that if you dont change your oil on time or close to it, something with the dirty oil affecting the way the chain does something --i only listened to part of that stuff) so they will go with a 3.6L with a timing belt.

--if you have a 3.0L engine, just be sure to keep the oil changed apparently is the lesson there.

He's right about the engine... i wonder about the other

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived