LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

My experience with Contis is they wear out fast. 25K miles tops. I just put on my second set of RE960s and they are great. My last set had ~35K and still had 6-7/32", but winter was coming and I felt that tread depth wasn't good enough for snow. In fact, Tire Rack states the 6/32 is minimum tread depth for snow tires let alone A/S tires. I had the Subaru Bucks to pay for them so I thought I pull the trigger. These are great tires, but they aren't snow tires. In deep snow they're fair, but dicey at best. Still a great all round tire.

Either way, Contis or RE960s, you got a great tire. It's just I think you'd get more miles out of the RE960s IMHO.

Agreed, both great tires. Contis could have less life, but we'll have to wait and see as these DWS are a relatively stlye. My wifes contis are wearing really well. Also, you pay about $50 more/ea. for Bridgestones, so if you factor in $ per mile...

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<snip> I had the Subaru Bucks to pay for them so I thought I pull the trigger.

I guess that means that you bought them through a dealer and not Tire Rack. I've been accumulating Subaru bucks with the intention of getting Perrin Sway bars but Perrin discontinued making the 22 mm bars so now I need to find some other use for my Subaru Bucks. :confused:

Noise after wear, huh? I wonder if that's what I'm hearing. I thought it might have been bad wheel bearings on the front wheels, but I did notice they are more-worn than the rears.

I'll try airing-up the tires to see if that changes the noise... or maybe I move the front wheels to the back and see if the noise moves...

I've never ad such issues with any other tire in the past (other cars)... then again, this is my first Bridgestone... friends have told me this brand tends to do this?

If you check the drop down menu you will see that Fred Bean no longer has the 22mm rear bar available. Otherwise I would have put my order in.

I may have to settle for the AVO Rear Bar http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1774/AVO-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail in conjunction with the OEM Front Bar since I can't get the Perrin 22mm Front & Rear set.

One of the only complaints i have about the 960's is the noise after they wear. They do get pretty damn loud. I've probably got about 15,000 miles on them now and they are loud!!!

Just turn the music up! :lol:

I never noticed the noise.

I guess that means that you bought them through a dealer and not Tire Rack. I've been accumulating Subaru bucks with the intention of getting Perrin Sway bars but Perrin discontinued making the 22 mm bars so now I need to find some other use for my Subaru Bucks. :confused:

Yea, I bought them from Sheehy Subaru in Springfield, VA. The parts manager gives me the Tire Rack price plus sales tax. I also pay for mounting and balancing with Subie Bucks. I use to live there and have to go down there from time to time, so I still give him my business. all in all a great deal.

Noise after wear, huh? I wonder if that's what I'm hearing. I thought it might have been bad wheel bearings on the front wheels, but I did notice they are more-worn than the rears.

I'll try airing-up the tires to see if that changes the noise... or maybe I move the front wheels to the back and see if the noise moves...

I've never ad such issues with any other tire in the past (other cars)... then again, this is my first Bridgestone... friends have told me this brand tends to do this?

Tires rotated this weekend... noise is still loud in the front... must be the wheel bearings. Oh well...

On the other hand, this means I still think these tires are good-quality and performance!

Thanks all of you for your help. I am new to all of this. My blue rocket (as my daughter likes to call my car) is the first sports car that I have ever owned.

Han'sGT if I go with 215/45/17 in the conti that is still better then the RE92s? Again thanks for helping out a nub like me.

Thanks all of you for your help. I am new to all of this. My blue rocket (as my daughter likes to call my car) is the first sports car that I have ever owned.

Han'sGT if I go with 215/45/17 in the conti that is still better then the RE92s? Again thanks for helping out a nub like me.

:lol: most anything is better than the RE92s...they suck.

Well, all of the conti are on back order, and with everything discount tire wanted 850 for 960s. That is too much for a poor college student like me. Going to wait the 3 months. Thx for all of your help,

^

215/45/17's are $688 to your door. Use Bing and get 5% off that. Go to a local tire shop to have them mounted and balanced ($80-$100)

Or if money is an issue for the RE960's, and conti's are out of stock...buy a set of Kumho ASX.

I'm not sure what the pricing is like right now, but I switched last summer from the 960 to the EagleGT. I've been pretty happy with them so far. I do also have a setup of Michelin Xi2's for pure snow though so the GT tires don't see much snow.

Cheers

Mike

Concerning going with the 215s, I'd like to chime in.

Several years ago when I was looking to replace my RE92s I came across this thread. It was extremely helpful in making the decision to get the 960s. However, in the begining of this thread it was mentioned that the 960s run a little narrower than other 215 sizes. That means that the sidewall wouldn't be as high either.

I would stick to the 225 size if you can. Your speedo will be more accurate, you'll get a better ride (like Han said) and you'll have a little more rubber between the potholes and your alloys.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck in getting the right tires. BTW, the Kumho's were my second choice. Great tire for the money. Very affordable when you're on a tight budget. You'll never go wrong, however, getting the RE960s. I'm on my second set and I love them.

Cheers!

John

Tires rotated this weekend... noise is still loud in the front... must be the wheel bearings. Oh well...

On the other hand, this means I still think these tires are good-quality and performance!

Directional tread patterns always get loud as they wear and since rotating them doesn't allow the tread to wear in the opposite direction, like non-directional tread patterns, they will stay loud. It is the price that has to be paid for the performance of a directional tread pattern.

Directional tread patterns always get loud as they wear and since rotating them doesn't allow the tread to wear in the opposite direction, like non-directional tread patterns, they will stay loud. It is the price that has to be paid for the performance of a directional tread pattern.

Good to know.

Archived