LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

Anyone running a 1x9 setup?

My next project is to remove the front derailleur alltogether, keep the chain on a middle 36T chainring, add a bashguard in place of the outer ring and chain guard in place of the granny ring.

I think I'm going to get the 36T ring first, before removing anything and seeing how I can handle not using the front derailleur.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone running a 1x9 setup?
Yes, but not for an XC setup. I'm running a 1x9 setup on my DH bike (2001 Schwinn Straight 8): 38T front w/ 11-34 cassette and E13 chainguide. I'm running a 2x9 setup on my FR bike (2007 Ellsworth Rogue): 36/22 front w/ 11-34 cassette and E13 dual ring chainguide.

Since we're kind of on this topic right now i'm debating switching to a 2x9 since i just realized my middle chainring is missing a tooth and my chain is tweaked. So i'll probably be replacing the casette, chain, and big rings.

When you switch to 2x9 you don't need to change the de-railer right? But if you accidently shift into that gear that's not there you will run the chain off? Also, if I lose the small gear up front does the middle just go in that spot, big in the middle, and bash guard on the 3rd? Any gearing recommendations? Best websites out there for that gear?

The sun is setting too early now and I haven't been able to ride after work anymore... =( I might try a few morning sessions but that is rough...

http://www.chainlove.com/ has pretty good deals now and then but you have to check it a lot.

anyone into cyclocross? :wub::wub:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2877269927_9d795daf35_b.jpg

started racing again this season than got pulled to rehab an ongoing shoulder injury.:mad:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 2 months later...
what's the problem here? no one riding these days?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

what's the problem here? no one riding these days?

I am. Here's a recent video my friend took of 9 of us doing DH shuttle runs at the popular Auburn State Rec. Area in the Sierra Nevada foothills.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70tDXXZJGo]YouTube - Auburn DH Shuttles 12-13-08[/ame]

You can see my LGT wagon in the beginning. I'm also hitting what we call the field trip drop at around 3:30. It doesn't look like it, but it's actually around 8 feet at the face. I estimate that the actual drop, given the sloping landing, is more in the 10-12 foot range.

Sweet:wub: I've been out for a couple months now. Just had this done last monday. This pic is 1 week and 4 days later.

PC160075.thumb.jpg.90d6966eefddc13627185fe730b15160.jpg

PC160076.thumb.jpg.24264db85f75a49af95770526a45ddb8.jpg

had surgery for CTS. result of too much riding over the years. can't wait to get back out and test out the hand.

recovery is pretty quick, which is why I opted to have it done over the winter. I should be back on the bike here in another week or two. hope to do a cyclocross race feb 1 however that may be pushing it.

Hell, i just want to get back out on my full susp. and have some fun.

• 4 weeks later...

From the rider down section. Pretty sad. Hits close to home, I recently landed on my head going over the bars. consider myself lucky.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=481002

Those are cool trails in Auburn. I used to live in Weimar, just few miles up the hill on I-80.

I like Gary Fisher bikes and Legacy GT wagons. Recently I discover that there used to connection between the two (before they discontinued LGTW)... http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/tobyloby/subarugaryfisher-1.jpg

I don't hit the trails but started on the blacktop last year. Took 1 quick spin on a friend's bike last year and got hooked again so I picked up this:

http://www.trossachscycles.co.uk/images/etb/bikes/083700.jpg

Nothing special because I just wanted a cheap yet sturdy and reliable bike I could enjoy and get some excersize on. I bought a trainer a few months ago but haven't used it much. Right now I have trouble finding the motivation to after coming home and being beat from working all day.:lol: I gotta get back on it because I keep kicking myself for spending the cash then hardly using it. I know Spring is closer and closer and there's a local park with a sweet 7-8 mile trail I rode last year.

you have showers at work? how far from work do you live? could you commute in, or drive, park close than commute in?

I live 30miles from work and I'll drive about 11miles away and ride in.

you have showers at work? how far from work do you live? could you commute in, or drive, park close than commute in?

I live 30miles from work and I'll drive about 11miles away and ride in.

I never even thought of that.:) But, my commute is on a road with a lot of traffic into a pretty congested area and along a highway so I'd be leary of fast moving traffic. It's about 8 miles from work to home so the distance is doable but it's also a lot of heavy inclines and I'm still a major rookie after not riding a bike since I was about 14. That park ride was a lot and that was mostly flat terrain. My ass would be red if I tried some of these roads. Come Spring since I have weekends off for now, I want to try and get to the park once a week if not twice and make a circuit. Thisis the place here. I highly reccomend seeing it if you're ever in SE PA:

http://scenicbuckscounty.com/PeaceValleyPark/PeaceValleyPark.html

http://www.bucksviews.com/Parks/PeaceValley/Lake-Galena-1.jpg

Those are cool trails in Auburn. I used to live in Weimar, just few miles up the hill on I-80.

I like Gary Fisher bikes and Legacy GT wagons. Recently I discover that there used to connection between the two (before they discontinued LGTW)

Sweet! I never knew about the connection. I met Gary Fisher a few years ago at some bike related event in Marin County. :)

I like Gary Fisher bikes and Legacy GT wagons. Recently I discover that there used to connection between the two (before they discontinued LGTW)...

I was going to buy a bright ass orange Fisher actually but found out I'd jave to wait about another month and pay extra S&H to get it so I passed and bought my flat black Trek, instead.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a question that would be good posted here. I don't want to buy a bike rack just for the 1 bike I have. To those without racks, do you have any trouble fitting them either behind the seat or in the trunk? With the quick disconnect I can have the wheel off in no time, I'm just wondering how easy it is to jam one somewhere in the car.

would have to be careful not to tear up your seats, it would probably fit in your trunk with your seats down.

pain in the butt though

Archived