LegacyGT.com

OB and OBXT specific coilovers - gauging interest

Boostjunkie

Nice thread steal! Oh well! How's the ground clearance vs stock? They aren't close to stock ride ht are they? Cause even if my car were raised to 1/2 way between lgt n ob ride ht would b an improvement...for winter at least!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The zeals I have were custom made to fit the Outback so yes they can be raised to stock ride height and be lowered down to stock leg gt stock ride height. And sorry for thread hijack. I was actually going to donate my stock suspension from my outback to have MR make some for the outback folks but now I am going to iraq and am selling he car after I import it to Finland first.

~S

Got our donor suspension and sent it off to the factory today. The front struts are actually very similar dimensionally to the LGT stock struts. Almost all the extra ride height comes from the front subframe. The rears are a different story. All the extra ride height comes from the struts. Interesting stuff. Anyways, we are going to go with 4 kg/mm front and 5 kg/mm rear springs to start off with and the coilovers will be configured to use the stock tophats to provide added isolation. As mentioned before, max ride height will be OB high with the possibility of lowering the car 2" which will put it at about LGT height.

Got our donor suspension and sent it off to the factory today. The front struts are actually very similar dimensionally to the LGT stock struts. Almost all the extra ride height comes from the front subframe. The rears are a different story. All the extra ride height comes from the struts. Interesting stuff. Anyways, we are going to go with 4 kg/mm front and 5 kg/mm rear springs to start off with and the coilovers will be configured to use the stock tophats to provide added isolation. As mentioned before, max ride height will be OB high with the possibility of lowering the car 2" which will put it at about LGT height.

:icon_conf

I thought it's the oposite. Just checked the vacation pix and it looks like the rear is more different - different links, spacers under subframe. Front identical, just different struts/springs and lower control arm plate.

:confused:

What is the wheel arch height on a stock LGT wagon?

And no camber plates are going to be a big problem for some people. If you'r edropping the OBXT to LGT height with only camber bolt adjustment, them best range for adjustment is going to be something like -1.7 to -2.2 camber.

Never mind the rest of what I had, didn't read enough before posting again.

Since the front is so similar to the LGT, will the springs and tophat be interchangeable wit the MR LGT coilovers?

I foresee some OB owners may want the adjustable camber plate especially if they want a 2 inch drop.

The LGT coilover pillowball tophats will not fit, since the damper shaft will be machined differently to accept the stock top hats.

I do not feel that camber will be an issue at all. The McPherson strut front suspension has very little camber gain under compression. With a 1.5" drop on the front of my car, the camber plate set in the middle and the camber bolt set for maximum negative camber, by car had about 1.5-1.75* of negative camber. Even with a 2" drop, you should be able to correct camber via the stock eccentric bolt back to under 1*. In all honesty, I've run as much as 3* of camber and not noticed any irregular tire wear, as long as the toe is set to zero.

I also do not forsee that many OB owners running their coilovers at maximum drop. The lower end of the adjustment range is really more for LGT owners wanting to run these coilovers.

I wanted to post and get some feed back from you guys I had from an issue caused by lowering my obxt on the LGT MR coilovers. I just replaced lower control arms on both sides do to serious damage on the bushings where the arm is mounted to the frame. Does any one know if this was caused by daily driving or was it the few really harsh RR tracks I hit at speed that felt/sounded like the coilovers were going to pop through the hood? Or was it possibly incorrect camber, toe or something else? Oppinions welcome... I have since reinstalled the stock struts and am anxiousley awaiting these new coilovers but am a little nervous to drop her again without either new bushings (super pro?) and or control arms (anyone know if LGT control arms are the same fit so I could get some bling aluminum?)

I wanted to post and get some feed back from you guys I had from an issue caused by lowering my obxt on the LGT MR coilovers. I just replaced lower control arms on both sides do to serious damage on the bushings where the arm is mounted to the frame. Does any one know if this was caused by daily driving or was it the few really harsh RR tracks I hit at speed that felt/sounded like the coilovers were going to pop through the hood? Or was it possibly incorrect camber, toe or something else? Oppinions welcome... I have since reinstalled the stock struts and am anxiousley awaiting these new coilovers but am a little nervous to drop her again without either new bushings (super pro?) and or control arms (anyone know if LGT control arms are the same fit so I could get some bling aluminum?)

When you say serious damage to the LCA bushings, are we talking about cracks in the bushings, because those bushings are know to fail rather often even is completely stock cars. I think your dealer was quick to blame the aftermarket suspension rather than replacing the item under warranty. I actually helped the owner of the donor car replace a front control arm on his car because he suspected it might have been bent in a recent accident. As far as I could tell it was identical to the LGT control arm that I swapped out for another guy a couple of weeks ago. The stock LGT strut is actually only 1" shorter than the OB strut, so really, the LGT front coilovers should work just fine on an OB. I highly doubt that they caused the problem you had.

I thought it's the oposite. Just checked the vacation pix and it looks like the rear is more different - different links, spacers under subframe. Front identical, just different struts/springs and lower control arm plate.

#24 = Legacy, #25 = OB

outbacklift.jpg.d107865d1d0b97e8e976d2359c89eb3e.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

It wasnt cracked as much as to put it in plain english "chewed up" on the side of bushings furthest from wheels it was gnarled and almost flat 1"wide top to bottom. maybe I had it riding too low? (although I had it set a little higher than stock lgt or right at it I thought) or perhaps , accidentally really, I had the preload to high?

Anyway the dealer said it was that the control arm was bottoming out before the bump stops hit. I did take a few really unexpected "big" bumps in construction zones on I-25 here in colorado...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey BoostJunkie - how are the OBXT MRs going to be different than the LGTs? Different length and spring rate only?

thanks!

When you say serious damage to the LCA bushings, are we talking about cracks in the bushings, because those bushings are know to fail rather often even is completely stock cars. I think your dealer was quick to blame the aftermarket suspension rather than replacing the item under warranty. I actually helped the owner of the donor car replace a front control arm on his car because he suspected it might have been bent in a recent accident. As far as I could tell it was identical to the LGT control arm that I swapped out for another guy a couple of weeks ago. The stock LGT strut is actually only 1" shorter than the OB strut, so really, the LGT front coilovers should work just fine on an OB. I highly doubt that they caused the problem you had.

I can't wait for this upgrade. We recently bought an '07 RAV4 Sport (269hp V6) for the wife & kid that would absolutely run away from my OBXT on a twisty back road & it's fully a foot taller. Toyota actually put a "sport tuned" suspension in the Sport model - go figure. The ride is a little "busy" on irregular surfaces but far more controlled and confidence inspiring than my OB - We need to remedy that.

Oh yeah, the RAV4 gets 23.5 mpg around town on regular gas as well...

MY $.02 using the LGT coilovers from Megan Racing I found (personally) that the spring rates were a perfect match for the OBXT (I hope these don't come out too soft!)

NVH increase was minimal if anything and was not any louder to the human ear than normal (daughter & girlfriend never complained) but for my application I do not really need the pillow balls so save the $ and leave em off is my vote.

Really the only change I thought necessary was the longer strut bodies with more room for height adjustment and travel.

Also a dust boot that does not get twisted up would be nice ;)

Looking forward to a new set.

details. I also find stock too "loose" for my likes. Coilovers for LGT put the OB on rails! lowering the center of gravity and stiffened spring rates made it handle like I wanted and handled the power so much better. at first it was a little too "bumpy" like I could feel every pebble but I also expected this so maybe I was just paying to much attention. Lots of people who rode in it said that they didn't mind the stiffness. this is a daily driver for me and after a few days I was used to it.

I

Archived