LegacyGT.com

OB and OBXT specific coilovers - gauging interest

Boostjunkie

did not want to post yet...

I really miss them as the suspension could handle anything I threw at it honestly the best handling car I have ever owned. I also had front & rear cusco struts as well as Whiteline rear sway that I put on at the same time so they also had alot to do with the stiffness. really for me I can not deal with the body sway as you go around turns/accelerate out of them at high speed. Aside from the damage to the bushings in my front lower control arms (the dealer said was caused by lowering) the LGT had no issues aside from the occasional dust boot getting twisted up and not releasing.

so again please don't make them too soft or no point in swiching out again

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No pillowballs for less NVH. Softer spring rate and matched dampening. Longer strut bodies with more travel.

Um, sorry to be such a noob but what does this all mean? Pillowballs? NVH?

A little softer than LGT? I guess that's OK but please tell me it's going to be much stiffer than the stock OBXT suspension (a/k/a "the seasick machine"). I can't stand how mine bounces when you stop, wanders when you turn, lurches and rolls. I've installed a rear sway but that's not enough.

In other words, I test-drove a Legacy GT wagon and loved it, wanted the LGT to replace my Audi A4; but ultimately when purchase time came could not find the LGT and so ended up with OBXT. Will OBXT coilovers bring the handling more in line with the LGT? More like the Audi, and less like the Titanic?

If so sign me up.

I really do not have issues with NVH on my current LGT based coilovers with pillowballs. I am running a 45 series tire as well.

I swapped the 7/7 springs for a 6/7 on med soft setting and it was noticably better. Wonder what a 5kg would feel like with the bit firmer setting?

Definitely curious to see what the final product spec is.

Thanks for the work BoostJunkie!

sebberry, this really begs the question... You keep complaing about OB more than I :lol:

Why did you buy OBXT over LGT? You bought it without test drive or what? After 3 minutes of OB test drive I knew that thing handled like crap.

I can't wait for this upgrade. We recently bought an '07 RAV4 Sport (269hp V6) for the wife & kid that would absolutely run away from my OBXT on a twisty back road & it's fully a foot taller. Toyota actually put a "sport tuned" suspension in the Sport model - go figure. The ride is a little "busy" on irregular surfaces but far more controlled and confidence inspiring than my OB - We need to remedy that.

Oh yeah, the RAV4 gets 23.5 mpg around town on regular gas as well...

Does the spare tire setup bug you? I think they've done a great job with that vehicle but the spare seems to make routine access to the liftgate cumbersome.

I wasn't aware they had a Sport setting, that's interesting. The RAV4 is only about 50 lbs more than an H6 OBW.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

One on topic and 2 off - sorry:

1) Yes, PLEASE lets hope the MR coilovers are not too soft. I know it's a bit subjective, but we all want to tighten the mother up, right?

2) RAV4 being 269 horse normally aspirated comes off the line hard, revs strongly. The sludge-o-matic kinda slides it into 2nd & 3rd, but really the vehicle has a lot of useable power & is not too far off the OB. It's an apples & oranges comparison, being (in my case) a turbo with a manual trans vs. normally aspirated with an auto. One bummer is the "smarter than thou" toyota stability control which shuts power down when it detects wheel slip, which can really reduce the fun factor, so I still prefer the OB for "drifting" :)

3) RAV4 spare tire doesn't bother me but I've never had to remove it. Honestly the gate works really well & provides easy access. The thing has more cargo volume than the highlander & a lot more fun to drive. Sport model is noticeably taughter than the Limited due to different sways/springs. 18" wheels are stock, too :) We'll see what it's like in the snow.

Anyhow - 'nuff about the Yota - this being Legacy forums & all. You can PM me if you want to know more about it.

Thanks for the input guys. Finding the "right" ride/handling compromise is always a juggling act. One man's "just right" can be another's "bonejarring":lol: I personally feel that deleting the rigid metal spherical bearings helps ride to no small extent, especially when you up the spring rates. If you doubt how much deflection there is in the stock rubber upper mounts, just pop your hood and push down on the front bumper. You will see vertical movement in the rubber. This compliance takes the edge of sharp bumps and on a subjective level makes the ride feel much more comfortable to some.

As for spring rates, I had originally thought of 4kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear as a good starting point. The engineers at the factory thought that wa much to soft so I think they are going to setup the prototype set with 5F/6R to start and send a few other springs so we can figure out what works best. Since the LGT coilovers are 6F/8R, I don't forsee going stiffer with the OBXT coilovers since I believe that the target market for this product wants more responsive street handling while retaining a compliant ride. In addition, since most buyers will want to retain some of the light off-road capabilities of the OB, softer springs will allow for more balanced compression and droop travel. With really stiff springs, you have much more compression travel than droop travel and over uneven terrain this can cause a wheel to lose contact with the ground over larger ruts.

Having said that, I thoroughly expect the MR OB coilovers to signifigantly up the handling ante of the OB to levels commensurate with its straight line abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, I am not trying to thread jack but I am getting ready to leave for Iraq in about a week and need to get rid of the Outback XT specific coilover that were specially made for the Outback by Zeal. If anyone is interested please contact PatagonianGT for the details.

Here a few pics.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/scoobydude_1968/Outback%20Parts/ZealsFront.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/scoobydude_1968/Outback%20Parts/ZealTophatsrear.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/scoobydude_1968/Outback%20Parts/Zealtophatsfront.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/scoobydude_1968/Outback%20Parts/CIMG2466.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/scoobydude_1968/Outback%20Parts/Zealsrear.jpg

The prototypes just came in yesterday. They will be installed on our test car on Monday. We will evaluate the spring rates and dampening and make changes as necessary before starting a production run. If things stay more or less on schedule, we should see the first shipment in about 45 days.

You're not putting these on an LGT, are you?

So, what are these going to be tuned for? Let's say on a 1-10 scale where the STi would be a 10 for sport and a 0 for comfort, where a stock Outback would be 0 for sport and 10 for comfort where would these fall? 7 for comfort and 5-6 for sport?

It's really hard to put a numerical value to something like that because it is so subjective. I'll let the owner of the test car post up his impressions after we get them on. I've only taken an around the block test drive in an OBXT, so it would be virtually impossible for me to make an informed comment.

It's really hard to put a numerical value to something like that because it is so subjective. I'll let the owner of the test car post up his impressions after we get them on. I've only taken an around the block test drive in an OBXT, so it would be virtually impossible for me to make an informed comment.

Thanks for that honesty. If there's one thing I've learned from this board it's to take most "reviews" with a big grain of salt.

The vendors are trying to make a product look good by emphasizing the positive while the users are, well...I don't know what they're doing but I'm so tired of hearing about race coilovers that are "firm but not harsh" and springs that are "much stiffer but keep the stock ride quality." As if the laws of physics would allow that.

So a request to whomever tests & reviews these here - please take your time, drive 'em for a couple weeks & let the newness wear off. Find out what they do well. Find out what they don't. Tell us everything, especially what you don't like about them so we can make an informed decision.

I'd much rather buy something with a little healthy cynicism than be completely optimistic & ultimately disappointed.

Just picked up the prototype set of OB coilovers and they are SEXY! MR suprised me and changed out the front dampener for an inverted design. Sweet! The fronts are going to reuse the OEM top hat and the rears have a rubber isolated mount instead of a pillowball. They should be great. They are considerably longer than the LGT spec coilovers and appear to have tons more travel. I post up some pics tonight when I get home from the office. :icon_mrgr

Bump for sexy pics!!

I just drove to Providence, RI and back. 130 miles of 70-80mph on a windy day. I feel like I'm just aiming the car in a general direction I want it to go - like sailing a really fast boat on a rough lake.

Boostjunkie, if at all possible can you take another drive in the test vehicle before install to get more acquainted with the "stock" characteristics? That way we'll have more than one objective opinion on the before vs. after install handling.

Just a thought...

Replacing the front control arm bushings with the Superpro Fulcrum offsets realy helps with that, more so than changing the spring/strut combo IMO.

It doesn't make the car corner or ride differently but totally changes the character of the steering feel with a better return-to-center & heavier steering response. Makes the car more point & shoot, so to speak.

For $100 it's a slam-dunk in terms of payoff & should be a mandatory mod.

Archived