LegacyGT.com

OB and OBXT specific coilovers - gauging interest

Boostjunkie

I've driven a Tribeca and I have to say I would be quite happy if the Outback handled like it does :)

I bet the MR coilovers would be a better quality component than the OEM tribeca ones, who knows... Deisgned specifically for the OB, hopefully the MR coilovers would actually be tested on one too :)

Of course the OB coilovers will be tested on an OB!:icon_wink I have a local test car, as well as a stock suspension donor already lined up. Just waiting on the green light from MR.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a nice option. I replaced one of my leaking K-sports and was down nearly 2 weeks.

Interested as I am offroading often and would like a bit of clearance and handling.

I noticed in Mach V Dan's post (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941) that coilovers typically need a rebuild every couple of years. Now, it's nice to be able to toss in a new dampener insert and be done, but how often will that need to be done?

Thanks!

1578932607_Cabin008t.jpg.63a2165a1ff6c3628b71a37116ed9997.jpg

Wow. ' never thought LGT owners would be interested in OBXT coilovers...I guess you can add those to your list BJ. Still waiting on news from MR...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

^^i like the low down handling of my car normally, but during the winter we can occasionally get serious snow falls here and as low as my car sits it just starts plowing after a while. I work at the hospital for surgery and have to be able to get to work even if the roads are closed, and often have to pick up co-workers to at least get a skeleton crew together to relieve those at work. So the extra couple of inches of ground clearance gives me better capabilities, so a few months of the year i'll roll all jacked up, but the rest of the year i'll be as low as the coilovers will allow.

UPDATE: This project is a GO! Spoke to MR today while I was there picking up a couple catbacks for local customers, and since they just finished a couple other suspension projects they are ready to move on this one. I will be contacting a couple guys who volunteered for donor parts and test fitting, and hope to have a prototype in about 30 days after I get the donor parts.

I'll keep you guys posted.

would these fit the outback sedan?

why don't they just add spacers and longer bolts to the lgt coilovers?

would their coilovers give us the choice of getting rid of the gap or keeping it?

I envisioned a completely different product to better fit the needs of most OB owners. I would much rather go with a longer shock body with more travel and slightly softer springs to maintain the light off-road capabilities of the OB. As NVH seems to be more of an issue than autocrossing and road racing, it only made sense to delete the pillowball top mounts and go with a design that retains the isolation of the stock rubber top mounts. So really a completely different design than the LGT coilovers.

Ride height should be adjustable from stock OB height down to about stock LGT height.

I'm thinking along the lines of 4-5 kg/mm front and 5-6kg/mm rear to start off with on the prototype. That is roughly about the rates on STi Pinks. Conbine that with some firmer dampeners that are matched to those spring rates and the chassis and handling will definately be vastly improved.

You think that there would be an option for heavier springs? If I'd do this, I'd like them set up similar to what i have now, but with more height adjustability. I think if the valving is the same as the LGT Megan's it should be okay.

I'd be interested in like 6kg/mm or 7kg/mm springs

:whore: I have 6/7 front/back after having 7/7 and I think it is great.

You think that there would be an option for heavier springs? If I'd do this, I'd like them set up similar to what i have now, but with more height adjustability. I think if the valving is the same as the LGT Megan's it should be okay.

I'd be interested in like 6kg/mm or 7kg/mm springs

I have Ksport coilovers - they are linear.

Evomotion - are those variable rate or linear?

In my experience experimenting with different springs I've found the progressive rate springs do much better, but I'm no pro on that stuff. Is it possible to have progressive rate springs on a coilover?

this is definitely interesting to follow. i own an lgt but also would be interested in a slightly higher ride hight for the winter. here in chicago, you have to wait 5 minutes and the weather will change. but working at a hospital er i need to be able to get to and from work, irrelavant of the weather/amount of snow on the ground. i would be very interested in a set up like these. and since BJ was suggesting that the spring rates will be equivalent to the sti pinks they would be stiffer than stock and for the occasional auto-x would actually be an improvement over the stock spring rates.

Archived