LegacyGT.com

OB and OBXT specific coilovers - gauging interest

Boostjunkie

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do you want to raise your LGT... isn't stock height enough?

I believe HKS LS+ coilovers (LGT fitment) allow the ride height to be raised.

Truly?

In the past week and a half we have gotten 2 large snows, one about 15" and one about 24". While I made it everywhere, an extra inch or even outback height would have been great...

I really don't car about the looks fo lowering the car, especially since it jacks up the suspension geometry. I would like a "sportier" ride, and all performance springs/dampers lower the car atleast an inch...

I want this to be capable of not killing my wife and I when we go on dirt/gravel roads while camping...

Tell me what other choice is out there?

Ted

:spin:

Well, raising the car will indeed "jack up" the suspension geometry, in fact, will introduce positive camber, not good....

Many coilovers, like Zeals V6 will allow you to keep the stock ride height and of course will give much more sportier ride.

HKS LS+ is the only one I noticed allows for raising the car actually.

That is what alignment, and possibly MSi's Camber plates with poly bushings are for :D

You would need adjustable rear links to adjust camber in the rear.

I'm willing to bet that you can drop the OB a decent amount with the stock wheels and tires.

I'd want to know if the car can be lowered while retaining the stock wheels & tires. I don't want to make a decision to purchase these coilovers contingent upon having to buy wheels and tires as well to accomplish the desired end result (slightly lower, less wheel gap, lower CG, etc)

Drewster dropped his car & was running the stock setup - I didn't read about any rubbing tire issues...

Sorry, I should have explained the rubbing a bit better...

I experienced rubbing on the right front tire with the following setup and only under the following conditions:

1. Only when turning the wheel all the way to the right in a fast turn.

2. Stock LGT struts and springs, rideheight being stock LGT.

3. Using Prodrive wheels (which may have a different offset from stockers).

4. Falken Zeix ZE-512 - 225-55-17.

There were no rubbing issues any other time.

All this led to my assumption that I might experience some rubbing under utilizing the current setup and under conditions 1, 3 and 4 above.

In order to put everyone at ease, I will be using the lowest ridheight and the stock wheels this weekend. I believe the ride height may be a little under stock LGT.

Cheers!

A PDF would be great. I took mine apart for the current coilovers, but can not remember all the steps. I will be swapping these coilovers for a new set.

I'll try to put that together this weekend as well. I should have enough photographs of all the steps. I'll fill in any gaps with diagrams of the parts.

It also occurred to Paul and I that you could save yourself a bit of grief and time if you add the extension before you install the rear coilovers. You might then be able to just pull the bottom rear floor Styrofoam covers (to the right and left of the spare tire well)…

- Cut a groove on the bottom of these covers for the extension’s cable

- Guide the knob for access through the spare tire well

You would then have to get access to your spare any time you wish to make adjustments, but you wouldn’t see anything out of the norm when all is covered.

I’ll check if this would work this weekend.

Cheers!

That is what alignment, and possibly MSi's Camber plates with poly bushings are for :D

Pricey though.

Mark said yesterday $475 USD and then about $75 for the poly inserts, ouch.

I am still thinking about them though.:icon_wink

I'll try to put that together this weekend as well. I should have enough photographs of all the steps. I'll fill in any gaps with diagrams of the parts.

It also occurred to Paul and I that you could save yourself a bit of grief and time if you add the extension before you install the rear coilovers. You might then be able to just pull the bottom rear floor Styrofoam covers (to the right and left of the spare tire well)…

- Cut a groove on the bottom of these covers for the extension’s cable

- Guide the knob for access through the spare tire well

You would then have to get access to your spare any time you wish to make adjustments, but you wouldn’t see anything out of the norm when all is covered.

I’ll check if this would work this weekend.

Cheers!

I'll need to get creative on the remote adjusters. I've got a bit of other stuff going on back there that makes me not want to remove that RH side panel :icon_wink

P1010024.thumb.jpg.45f78e05b65ee8725244dec7ab84dd71.jpg

Wow! I can see why.

You may be able to access the tops of the rear coilovers by removring all the floor panels sorrounding the amp. Do that by the carpet covered top panels then removing the clips... about 9 total. The other two not seen on this picture are under the carpeting that extends from the set backs.

With those panels removed you should be able to get the extensions where you need them.

Cheers!

OBXT_back.thumb.JPG.549980e99555b23a453cc99b176f1479.JPG

Sorry, I am not familiar exactly with how the coilovers would attach, I didn't think they would be accessible from inside without cutting into the body or something.

How long is the remote cable thing? Would it be possible to install them into the storage pockets on each side of the cargo area to keep them fully hidden from view? I am also concerned slightly about holes in interior panels for re-sale...

The cables are about 10 inches long. Certainly not long enough to reach the storage pockets.

The reason I opted for the small hole on the wheel well cover was so I could just cover it with one of the round button clips. It would then look like just another clip that holds the wheel well cover on.

Cheers!

It's too bad the cables can't be routed 180 degrees somehow so they can be accessed from underneath the vehicle. 10" certainly won't allow for that. I don't mind crawling around under there or jacking it up once in awhile to adjust but I suppose they'd be exposed to the elements and would eventually get gunked up & stop working.

There is a limitation as to how long the cables can be made and still work. There are really almost like bicycle cables with a knob on one end and a clamp on the other. Simple stuff, but it works. However, the cable does torque a bit over it's length, and if it made too long it will twist up too much to work. The longest ones MR offer are 250mm long, or about 10". Those are the ones that Flatsphere has on his car. I haven't had a chance to see his car in person, but judging from his pictures the knobs seem very unobtrusive and out of the way of just about anything that might go in the cargo area.

someone asked about this a while ago and I never saw a response, how about a tein ish remote EDFC thing? would that be possible? I don't mind the cap it's pretty easy to make someting that looks like it came from the factory if need be.

Hi everyone,

Well my impact gun wasn't working so I could only lower the car about 1 inch but I did put on the stock wheels. I'll get that fixed over the week so I can drop it this weekend.

Having installed the dampening knobs on the wheel wells has work great so far. I just open the rear doors, fold the seats and adjust the rear coilovers.

Currently running 10 clicks from soft up front and 6 rear. Very nice ride with a bit more responsiveness.

Cheers!

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. No pillowballs... so probably...

Sort of. The lack of rear pillowballs makes it easier to remove the rear lower mounting bolt and spin the lower mounts up/down, then trying to turn the upper part of the assembly. For minor ride height changes, like cornerweighting or just leveling off your ride height, you can get it done without unbolting the lower mounts, but for much more than a couple of turns, you'd be better off popping off the bolt. Just makes it much less of a struggle.

Pending a little more feedback from Flatsphere and a potential adjustment to the length of the rear dampener bodies and lower mounts, starting production within a month or so is basically a sure thing. I will likely post up a GB thread to get an idea as to how many units to make. We'll produce a few more than the GB total and if they sit around forever, then that might be it. If they move, we'll make more.

Where did you get that idea from?

the earth does move towards the sun but this is also fun....

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/death_of_earth_000224.html

Freeze, Fry or Dry: How Long Has the Earth Got?

"Sometime in the next few billion years, according to new studies presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the third rock from the sun will either freeze or fry. Unless things simply dry up much sooner."

Replacement parts will be available for the forseeable future regardless if the OB coilovers are a limited production run or not. I honestly think that this will be a very popular product. There are a ton of OB's on the road and if even only a small percentage of the ownership base wants better handling that adds up to quite a few sets of coilovers. Here's to hoping! :)

Archived