LegacyGT.com

OB and OBXT specific coilovers - gauging interest

Boostjunkie

They have an excellent reputation across a number of platforms for a nice balance of handling and ride quality. Of course most of their applications are for sportier vehicles (or ones that aspire to be ;) ) so they tend to move the balance more towards the sport side of the equation.

What I envision for the OBXT coilovers is a more moderate setup. Longer stroke length and softer spring rates than what you would normally find in coilovers destined for a sports car. Stock rubber top hats to keep the NVH down. Simply put, better handling than the stock setup with only a very modest decrease in ride quality.

With regards to quality, MR's track record is excellent. Feel free to search around on Nasioc.com for reviews of their WRX/STi coilovers. Even long term, you will find few if any negative impressions. One of their other coilovers that has been on the market for quite some time is their S13/S14 application (Nissan 240SX). Again, many positive longterm reports.

IMHO, the MR coilovers offer one of the best $/quality/performance ratios on the market. Are there better coilovers out there. Absolutely, but not without paying a very hefty price premium. For the OBXT that might be a moot point, since I don't see any other suspension makers rushing to support that market.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like there is a dampening adjustment on the units. Is it possible to provide a range of adjustment that satisfies the "not too firm" crowd and the "I want it more sporty" folks (like me)?

"Soft" is a four letter word, but I don't want the car to rattle itself to bits on bad pavement, either.

BoostJunkie - What would be the offroad-ability of this setup (in theory)? I'll frame that question a little better - when I went looking for suspension options, one of the things echoed to me several times about coilovers is that their valving just isn't built to handle the excessive movement found when travelling offroad given that they're primarily based on street/track racing. Would these be different?

Obviously not looking to go rock-crawling, just fire rds/jeep roads, the stuff the OB was originally intended to handle.

Also - maybe you've already answered this - what is the average life expectancy between rebuilds?

As far as off-roading goes, you should be fine so long as you take it easy. The stock suspension being softer means it can eat a bigger bump faster than the new coilovers would. So if you go too fast over a large bump (30mph+?) you could overwhelm the shock and it would feel like you hit the bumpstops.

Rock crawling gives the shock plenty of time to move so that should be unaffected...unless the coilover doesn't move as much as the stocker. But how much "rock crawling" are you gona do in an outback?

A dirt road shouldn't be a problem and so long as you slow down in preparation for large ruts and whatnot, you could get into some pretty rough stuff without a problem

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I think a lot of people have misconceptions about what a coilover is. I've said this in another thread, but a coilovers is just a shock with a threaded body and a movable spring perch. At it's core that is it. They can be valved any way the manufacturer wants. Obviously valving designed for hardcore offroad use will be different than valving intended for use on the street or a paved race track. However for the kind of "off-roading" that most OB's will see, street valving will be absolutely fine. There are no concerns whatsoever with "excessive movement". The stroke length of the OB coilovers will be much longer than the LGT coilovers, and easily capable of handling the kind of light off-roading the OB was designed for.

One last comment and then I'll get off it (my soapbox, that is). I drive my 280hp OBXT on the pavement 98% of the time. I'm not willing to spend $1500+ on a mod that is going to enhance the vehicle for the 2% of the time that I might drive off road. I want the on road handling to more closely match the straight line performance potential of the vehicle, i.e. I want to have some confidence in the vehicle when I'm driving along and I hit a nice twisty stretch of road. I bought the OB for running back and forth to the ski resorts, and for accessing MT biking and fishing locations, and it serves that purpose pretty well in the stock configuration. Others surely drive their cars off road more often than I do, but when you're off road are the glaring weaknesses of the stock suspension really exposed? OK - I'm all done now. Thanks for humoring me.

Folks, I'm not trying to thread jack or anything but here is a pic of my car with Zeal Function V6 coilovers front and rear. Just thought some of you might like a pic of what an OBXT looks like with coilover.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/scoobydude_1968/CIMG2236.jpg

I think we all recognize that the OBXT is not a serious offroading vehicle. No offense to the OB guys, but it's a wagon with a bit more ride height. That allows it to do some light offroading, but 99.9% of the time it's going to be driven on pavement and the tiny bit of offroad use it sees will be merely dirt roads and the like. The goal of the proposed MR coilovers is to enhance the handling dynamics to match the power the OBXT is capable of, while retaining the ride height that allows it to venture off paved roads. I am certainly not talking about a product that will be biased to improving offroad performance, just not compromise it to any great extent.

However for the kind of "off-roading" that most OB's will see, street valving will be absolutely fine. There are no concerns whatsoever with "excessive movement". The stroke length of the OB coilovers will be much longer than the LGT coilovers, and easily capable of handling the kind of light off-roading the OB was designed for.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. The object of the game for me is to improve on-road handling w/o losing the ability to go camping/biking/climbing in backwoods spots.

I've already got VG handling on Tokicos/Ions, but too low to get back in there. If I'm laying down more $$ on suspension I need to gain something here...

Mwiener2, misinterpretation of question was due to persistent distraction (Boss lurking around) while I was trying to read new posts ;) Thanks for clarification.

If adjustment range will allow for maintaining stock height and lowering to LGT height or a bit below as previously discussed it sounds like everyone will be happy.

Thanks to all for keeping hope alive.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this project has been discussed with MR and they are willing to proceed with it. However, they have a coiple other suspension development projects to complete before they can begin work on the OBXT application. Should be a couple more weeks till they get started.

I'm a lowered OBXT on Ions & Tokicos - basically a LGT now. Gotta hand it to Cobb tho, they're coming thru with a new bar on my doorstep this week, n/c.

My experience with the adj Tokicos has been that I rarely adjust the dampening. I play with it when the springs go on to find the right setting & pretty much leave it alone after that. So if there were some sort of auto adjuster offered at $500 it'd be a waste since I almost never move them anyway.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what an adj shock does. Ppl seem to think it's adj suspension rather than adjustable dampening. The ride stiffness/softness is really about the springs. It'd be more accurate to describe the struts as adj between fast & slow dampening.

I was wondering if the Tribeca's dampers would work on the Outback. From reviews, it seems that the Tribeca is based on a lengthened Outback chassis, but has to handle much greater weight. So, presumably has firmer damping.

Does anyone know if this would be a viable alternative to waiting for Bilsteins? Or maybe they'd cost as much as the aftermarket coil-overs anyway, so maybe the whole point is moot.

I was wondering if the Tribeca's dampers would work on the Outback. From reviews, it seems that the Tribeca is based on a lengthened Outback chassis, but has to handle much greater weight. So, presumably has firmer damping.

Does anyone know if this would be a viable alternative to waiting for Bilsteins? Or maybe they'd cost as much as the aftermarket coil-overs anyway, so maybe the whole point is moot.

I also own a Tribeca and can tell you that while it is based on the Legacy/OB platform, the rear suspension is completely different. The front is basically identical, but the rear is different. So no go on using Tribeca parts.

Archived